Colts and Crowd Noise

Chilly

From http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...512010432#noise

How loud was the RCA Dome for Monday night's Steelers-Colts showdown? The noise still was reverberating two days later.

A hot topic on ESPN Radio's "The Dan Patrick Show'' Wednesday afternoon focused on the Colts allegedly enhancing the clamor in the Dome by piping in noise. The observation was made by ESPN reporter Ed Werder, who watched the Colts' 26-7 victory from the press box and shared his opinion on a Dallas radio show the following day.

This is kinda funny that this is going down. However, the part that I really have a question on is this part of the article:

Also, the home team is subject to a penalty if the officiating crew determines the crowd noise makes it impossible for the quarterback to adequately run his offense. If the crowd ignores warnings from the officials, the home team could lose a timeout or be assessed a 5-yard penalty.

Can that really happen? It kinda defeats the whole point of home field advantage if true. Or are they just talking about artificial crowd noice?

This is kinda funny that this is going down.  However, the part that I really have a question on is this part of the article:

Can that really happen?  It kinda defeats the whole point of home field advantage if true.  Or are they just talking about artificial crowd noice?

518002[/snapback]

That was a big deal back in the late 80's. It is a BS rule, but it was enforced. The Bengals used to pull that under Wyche all the time.

That was a big deal back in the late 80's. It is a BS rule, but it was enforced. The Bengals used to pull that under Wyche all the time.

518010[/snapback]

Go to Orchard Park and ask Sam yourself. :devil:

I HATED Sam Wyche when he coached the Bengals. Now I like him. Go figure.

Mike

This is kinda funny that this is going down.  However, the part that I really have a question on is this part of the article:

Can that really happen?  It kinda defeats the whole point of home field advantage if true.  Or are they just talking about artificial crowd noice?

518002[/snapback]

It's been a few years, however I have seen it enforced.

Quiets the crowd real quick!

Minnesota pumps in crowd noise as well, and it's SOO obvious, I don't understand why they don't get in trouble for it (I've seen articles complaining about it, but nothing seems to get done).

Another reason to not allow any domes in the league.

CW

518002[/snapback]

Back in the stone age when the Bills were consistently good, the crowd noise rule used to come up. Some QBs would look pleadingly at the refs, and the refs would stop the game to warn the fans that they were on the verge of getting a 5 yard penalty. The result of that announcement, as I remember it, is that the crowd would get louder. I think the refs figured out that it was a no win rule, and frankly, F--- some team that can't hear. That's home field advantage.

Regarding pumping in noise, that's a rollicking crock of S.

518002[/snapback]

At Habs games, when they want the fans to generate some crowd noise, they usually put the hottest girl in the arena on the jumbo tron and boy does it work

:devil:

It's all a way of getting an advantage. At Disney world, they pump crown noise on Main Street USA to have people not cause a human pileup. They also pump a popcorn smell throughout the park to make the guests think they are hungrier than they actually are.

That being said, it's all about getting an advantage.

Minnesota pumps in crowd noise as well, and it's SOO obvious, I don't understand why they don't get in trouble for it (I've seen articles complaining about it, but nothing seems to get done).

CW

518096[/snapback]

Maybe MLB knew when they banned the Astros from closing the roof during perfect baseball weather while hosting the WS... Who knows what goes on?

518002[/snapback]

can and has happened i have seen it called at giants stadium

can and has happened i have seen it called at giants stadium

518353[/snapback]

My ears are still ringing from a game in Dallas in October. The Giants lost in overtime and the crowd noise was nothing compared to the "electronic" crowd noise. The sound system was ridiculously loud and bad.

What a joke!

By the way, Texas Stadium is a big piece of crap. What a dump. It looks OK on TV but in person it was horrible.

CW

518096[/snapback]

Tottaly agree with you FEZ! Football is meant to be played OUTSIDE! Rain, Snow, Earthquakes, Hurricanes, etc. Domes are for P uss ies!!

We'll see how tough Indy is when they are away from their cushy RCA Holiday Inn Dome in the next couple weeks. :D