LOST 2.09 Discussion Thread

UConn James

Black Horse stuff (results from a quick google)

The black horse in the book of Revelations relates to a necessary balance of the male and female qualities of the soul. Being halted by horses denotes a necessity to control and redirect the emotions. To follow a horses foottracks represents following Christ's footsteps.

When I watched the show last night I thought the horse was a totem which represented that Kate was at a crossroads in her life. Each time she took the road towards darkness. (remember her father told her that "He did not have murder in his heart"... implying that Kate did)

Just remember that Kate did walk towards the horse at the end of the show... then she turned away from it. If the horse does represent the teachings of Christ... then Kate might be more then a little bit of trouble for the rest of the survivors

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The black horse in the book of Revelations relates to a necessary balance of the male and female qualities of the soul. Being halted by horses denotes a necessity to control and redirect the emotions. To follow a horses foottracks represents following Christ's footsteps.

When I watched the show last night I thought the horse was a totem which represented that Kate was at a crossroads in her life. Each time she took the road towards darkness.  (remember her father told her that "He did not have murder in his heart"... implying that Kate did)

Just remember that Kate did walk towards the horse at the end of the show... then she turned away from it.  If the horse does represent the teachings of Christ... then Kate might be more then a little bit of trouble for the rest of the survivors

517200[/snapback]

He flat out said that he knew Kate would kill him and that is why he didn't tell him. I'm surprised this hasn't come up previously. How do you know someone would kill someone else? She must have more evil built up.

When I watched the show last night I thought the horse was a totem which represented that Kate was at a crossroads in her life. Each time she took the road towards darkness.  (remember her father told her that "He did not have murder in his heart"... implying that Kate did)

Just remember that Kate did walk towards the horse at the end of the show... then she turned away from it.  If the horse does represent the teachings of Christ... then Kate might be more then a little bit of trouble for the rest of the survivors

517200[/snapback]

I just assumed the horse was her father.

517200[/snapback]

this is too much like the junk we had to do in AP English :D

the wilder the crap you wrote, the better your grade was...it's too bad i didn't figure that out until my junior year of english

carried it through all my college english classes and it proved to be a good system

english profs were always impressed at how well i wrote despite being an engineering student

btw, it's all a myth...engineers can write just fine

if they want to

this is too much like the junk we had to do in AP English  :D

the wilder the crap you wrote, the better your grade was...it's too bad i didn't figure that out until my junior year of english

carried it through all my college english classes and it proved to be a good system

english profs were always impressed at how well i wrote despite being an engineering student

btw, it's all a myth...engineers can write just fine

if they want to

517313[/snapback]

Sorry but I stopped paying attention after you said you were an engineer! :D

What was your point?

It was a good episode. Sucks we have to wait until Jan. 11th for another.

Why has there been absolutely no discussion amongst the survivors about Walt, the men on the boat who took him, and what happened to Desmond?

Seems to me that they would try to figure out some of this as opposed to watching the movie again.

After seeing this episode, I don't like Kate very much anymore. Her psuedo-father alluded to it best, deep inside her heart she is a murderer.

Anyhow, what are everyone's thoughts on Sawyer's first scene where he mumbles "I love her"?

Was he Sawyer at that point or was he already possessed by Wayne?

After seeing this episode, I don't like Kate very much anymore.  Her psuedo-father alluded to it best, deep inside her heart she is a murderer. 

Anyhow, what are everyone's thoughts on Sawyer's first scene where he mumbles "I love her"?

Was he Sawyer at that point or was he already possessed by Wayne?

517491[/snapback]

He was Wayne.

I thought Ecko said "don't mistake fate for coincidence" not the other way around

I was also hoping there would be more in the missing movie section...

517450[/snapback]

Eko did say "Don't mistake coincidence for fate." I made a mental note that he is in Jack's corner in that debate. I like Eko, and I'm a lot like him in real life. Listen and take everything in, and don't really speak if I have nothing to say.

And duey and links, could it be possible that Sawyer wasn't possessed at all, and simply reacting to a mix of his delerius limbo/dream state and some words that Jack said. And that the sequence where he grabbed Kate's arm was entirely in her head --- hence the, 'every time I see Sawyer I see Wayne.' That she took off from the hatch meant that Sawyer had no one there to watch him and he fell out of the bed. What's the simpler explanation? (Tho, simple explanations are usually wrong on this island....)

Again, this ep was very paralleled to "White Rabbit." But I've also been thinking about that. Kate thought she was hallucinating the horse, but it was real. Jack discovered the empty coffin, and assumed that his hallucination wasn't real; perhaps his father is walking around on the island? 0:)

Sorry but I stopped paying attention after you said you were an engineer!  0:)

What was your point?

517360[/snapback]

I'll get to it if you promise me a "A"

out of curiousity, does anyone remember how those filmstrips worked?

i thought video and audio were separate (i.e. video on filmstrip and audiotrack off of a tape or something) so piecing together pieces of film wouldn't cause the audio to be complete (note, this is what i remember from elementary school filmstrips...i'm probably completely wrong)

also, why did Locke splice the lost scenes into the film? why not just play the second film?

And duey and links, could it be possible that Sawyer wasn't possessed at all, and simply reacting to a mix of his delerius limbo/dream state and some words that Jack said. And that the sequence where he grabbed Kate's arm was entirely in her head --- hence the, 'every time I see Sawyer I see Wayne.' That she took off from the hatch meant that Sawyer had no one there to watch him and he fell out of the bed. What's the simpler explanation? (Tho, simple explanations are usually wrong on this island....)

517557[/snapback]

Sawyer was definitely channelling Wayne...too much of a coincidence then for him to ask Kate "Why did you kill me?" Notice Sawyer coming out of his stupor once she answered Wayne's question. Then they see the horse, with her confronting the horse, and it her, and there then being some kind of reconciliation.

I'll get to it if you promise me a "A"

out of curiousity, does anyone remember how those filmstrips worked?

i thought video and audio were separate (i.e. video on filmstrip and audiotrack off of a tape or something) so piecing together pieces of film wouldn't cause the audio to be complete (note, this is what i remember from elementary school filmstrips...i'm probably completely wrong)

also, why did Locke splice the lost scenes into the film? why not just play the second film?

517623[/snapback]

Nope...the film contained the audio. I too thought that Locke would just run the new tape section on its own, but I guess his thinking was that he wanted to see it in the proper context of the rest of the film.

Sayid on the TV when Kate goes to the recruiting station to visit her "dad"

http://lost-forum.com/showthread.php?t=22992

517095[/snapback]

Wasn't Sayid captured at some point, and then given the opportunity to get back together with his girl if he helped the Feds out with the terrorist ring in Australia? Could this be an Army recruiting film showing the apprehension of terrorists? The timeline is curious to me, which delves into the discussion of Kate's age and when exactly did she visit her dad at the recruiting station.

To check this out, I visited that timeline link posted in the last Lost thread (http://tviv.org/wiki/Lost/Timeline). Here are some facts...

Sayid served during the Gulf War in 1991

Sayid rescued Nadia in 1997

Sayid left Iraq in 1997

The marshall begins pursuing Kate in 2001

Kate visits dying Mom in hospital in 2001

Kate and Tom dig up timecapsule in 2002; Tom shot and dies in 2002;

Sayid's buddy kills himself on September 21, 2004 after Sayid reveals he's working with the CIA

Assuming that Kate had killed Wayne in 2001 (when the marshall begins pursuing her), then that would put her visit to her dad around 2001/2002. Could it be possible that Sayid was picked up by the CIA at that time? If so, why would it be on tape? I can't think of anytime that Sayid would have been publically taken anywhere in handcuffs. Careful study of that screen capture shows that Sayid appears sweaty and bedraggled (long hair and beard), indicating that he had been in hiding?

I think what we get from this is that we are definitely missing some part of Sayid's backstory. Anyone have any thoughts/insight into this?

"Everybody Hates Hugo."  A good episode, to be sure, but repeats until January, now thats just plain disappointing!  :doh:

517040[/snapback]

No too fond of that duey guy either... 0:)

I think Sayid being shown on the TV foreshadows that the next episode is going to be on Sayid. thinking back, I remember discussing that Hugo was on the TV in the Jin/Sun story, and the next week that was all explained.

No too fond of that duey guy either...  0:)

I think Sayid being shown on the TV foreshadows that the next episode is going to be on Sayid. thinking back, I remember discussing that Hugo was on the TV in the Jin/Sun story, and the next week that was all explained.

517726[/snapback]

Hey! Let's play nice! :(

That's a great point...let's see if anyone remembers you made it by the time 1/11 comes around. :doh:

Wasn't Sayid captured at some point, and then given the opportunity to get back together with his girl if he helped the Feds out with the terrorist ring in Australia?  Could this be an Army recruiting film showing the apprehension of terrorists?  The timeline is curious to me, which delves into the discussion of Kate's age and when exactly did she visit her dad at the recruiting station.

To check this out, I visited that timeline link posted in the last Lost thread (http://tviv.org/wiki/Lost/Timeline).  Here are some facts...

Sayid served during the Gulf War in 1991

Sayid rescued Nadia in 1997

Sayid left Iraq in 1997

The marshall begins pursuing Kate in 2001

Kate visits dying Mom in hospital in 2001

Kate and Tom dig up timecapsule in 2002; Tom shot and dies in 2002;

Sayid's buddy kills himself on September 21, 2004 after Sayid reveals he's working with the CIA

Assuming that Kate had killed Wayne in 2001 (when the marshall begins pursuing her), then that would put her visit to her dad around 2001/2002.  Could it be possible that Sayid was picked up by the CIA at that time?  If so, why would it be on tape?  I can't think of anytime that Sayid would have been publically taken anywhere in handcuffs.  Careful study of that screen capture shows that Sayid appears sweaty and bedraggled (long hair and beard), indicating that he had been in hiding?

I think what we get from this is that we are definitely missing some part of Sayid's backstory.  Anyone have any thoughts/insight into this?

517686[/snapback]

Everything I saw in that ep had me firmly rooted that Kate killed Wayne in 1991. The dress, the hair on her mum, the television on in the recruiting station (likely tuned in to coverage of the war). It's likely that Sayid was a regular army soldier (in the dress of a regular soldier) captured by coalition forces at the time and then later was set free and he then joined with the Republican Guard --- if you remember from the Nadia episode, he was fast working his way up the ladder. His timeline provides much more room b/w '91 and '97. And by the time of his working with the FBI agents in Australia just before flight 815 (remember that he had them delay his flight to LA), he'd been out of Iraq for several years. This is just everything that my eyes have been telling me, and it seems to make the most sense/have the best fit given the other things in the timeline.

And another thing to love about Kate as she took off from the scene of the crime --- she doesn't want a pickle, she just wants to ride on her motor-sickle! 0:) But something about her playing with that lighter is making me think.... She had set a gas leak that went off shortly after she rode off. How safe was it for her to be flicking the lighter on and off like that? Was she at least thinking of offing her ownself too, since she 'couldn't ever be a good person'?

My first Lost theory:

The Dharma Institute is experimenting with cloning people.

That's why they're only taking the "good" people, to weed out undesirable qualities.

That's why the Others (clones) are faster and stronger, they've been genetically engineered.

That's why they need so much power to run advanced technology and equipment.

The "monsters" are genetic experiments (i.e. altering the genetics of a polar bear to acclimate it to a South Pacific climate).

The timer is some sort of device which keeps the clones alive and on/around the island. If the island's security personell (Desmond, etc.) are killed and the device is not reset, it allows the detonation of some sort of electromagnetic pulse which destroys the matrix which keeps the clones (Others) alive.

Apologies if this has already been explored. I only saw bits/pieces of the first season so if anybody can think of anything which supports this, flesh it out a little further and see what you come up with.

Cya