Coaching Staff - Offensive Coordinator

San-O

After this Sunday, the season will effectively be over, again.

Who really has the call on letting Tom Clements go?

MM brought him over from Pittsburgh, and has taken over play

calling responsibilites and won't comment on this apparently.

What is there really to say. Do the Bills let him go and what

does this mean to MM as he would then probably not have

a coordinator of his own choosing on either side of the ball,

assuming Gray is retained.

Thoughts?

MM brought him over from Pittsburg, and has taken over play

What is there really to say.  Do the Bills let him go and what

assuming Grey is retained.

Thoughts?

512652[/snapback]

Who is Grey and where is Pittsburg ?

MM brought him over from Pittsburg, and has taken over play

assuming Grey is retained.

Thoughts?

512652[/snapback]

Interesting take, but I have to believe MM is on too thin ice for him to balk.

For that matter, TD has to really be worried. IMO in a perfect word he should want both Clements and Grey replaced... but at this stage of his tenure, if he forces that then he really undermines his own argument that the Bills are progressing under his program. He may find himself forced to keep one or both if only so that he has a shot of convincing RW that we're very close, maybe a year away from the playoffs.

Do the Bills let him go and what

Thoughts?

512652[/snapback]

IIRC, word was MM wanted Whisenhut (sp?), the current Pittsburgh OC (then TE coach) but TD wanted Clements. If true, he has never had a coordinator of his own choosing.

IIRC, word was MM wanted Whisenhut (sp?), the current Pittsburgh OC (then TE coach) but TD wanted Clements. If true, he has never had a coordinator of his own choosing.

512660[/snapback]

So then, the Clements issue kind of takes on new meaning I would think.

Ole' Whitey may not want to replace him as he chose him, but MM

won't let him call plays? How many OC's does that make in five years: 3?

If Clements is replaced, that would be 4 in 6 years.

Has TD had any comment on this? I expect not.

So then, the Clements issue kind of takes on new meaning I would think.

Ole' Whitey may not want to replace him as he chose him, but MM

won't let him call plays?  How many OC's does that make in five years: 3?

If Clements is replaced, that would be 4 in 6 years.

Has TD had any comment on this?  I expect not.

512664[/snapback]

My personal thought is that TD will be gone before MM. Another idea, Steve Mariucci was an offensive coach and is obviously a failure as a HC. Considering nobody will hire him as a HC, maybe we can get him to be our new OC. As with GW (who is doing well in Washington), it may be better for SM to step down to being an OC and excel at that.

My personal thought is that TD will be gone before MM. Another idea, Steve Mariucci was an offensive coach and is obviously a failure as a HC. Considering nobody will hire him as a HC, maybe we can get him to be our new OC. As with GW (who is doing well in Washington), it may be better for SM to step down to being an OC and excel at that.

512678[/snapback]

Yeah he only made the playoffs 4 out of 6 years at SF. We should be so lucky to have a coach do that for us. :lol::lol:

Yeah he only made the playoffs 4 out of 6 years at SF.  We should be so lucky to have a coach do that for us.  :lol:  :lol:

512713[/snapback]

Lol, it is kind of funny how easy it is to forget that he was a successfull coach in SF. I don't know if that says more about the current quagmire in Detroit or else confirms the whole overshadowing power stuff they said about the San Fran organization.

Lol,  it is kind of funny how easy it is to forget that he was a successfull coach in SF.  I don't know if that says more about the current quagmire in Detroit or else confirms the whole overshadowing power stuff they said about the San Fran organization.

512732[/snapback]

I believe the power brokers in SF were gone by then. He did a lot of that winning with some subpar talent in SF. Not a real good D and outside of TO, not a whole lot of talent on the offense either. Hearst was the RB, Garcia the QB, Stokes was the #2. Not an allstar group. Average to Above average yes. But, Bryant Young, Derek Smith and Ahmed Plummer where the best defensive guys.

Plus he made it to the playoffs his last 2 years there, which is why he got a 5 year 25 million dollar deal with Detroit.

I believe the power brokers in SF were gone by then.  He did a lot of that winning with some subpar talent in SF.  Not a real good D and outside of TO, not a whole lot of talent on the offense either.  Hearst was the RB, Garcia the QB, Stokes was the #2.  Not an allstar group.  Average to Above average yes.  But, Bryant Young, Derek Smith and Ahmed Plummer where the best defensive guys. 

Plus he made it to the playoffs his last 2 years there, which is why he got a 5 year 25 million dollar deal with Detroit.

512735[/snapback]

Still doesn't hurt to see if he would like to be an OC for us.

I believe the power brokers in SF were gone by then.  He did a lot of that winning with some subpar talent in SF.  Not a real good D and outside of TO, not a whole lot of talent on the offense either.  Hearst was the RB, Garcia the QB, Stokes was the #2.  Not an allstar group.  Average to Above average yes.  But, Bryant Young, Derek Smith and Ahmed Plummer where the best defensive guys. 

512735[/snapback]

I agree with your assessment of the group he had, but have the recollection that the reason he left was some kind of power situation. Not a struggle per se, but rather the power within the organization lay with the Bill Walsh clique of coaching alums-turned-consultants and that he was perceived as an outsider and not given enough credit for the teams success under his tenure. Sound right? I really don't remember...

512735[/snapback]

Where he did crap. I do not see him getting another HC job in the near future. Detroit does still owe him for next year. He either takes a year off, does TV, or is an OC somewhere next year.

512660[/snapback]

Actually, the Steelers refused to let Wisenhut talk to MM about the job. They wanted to retain him.

MM brought him over from Pittsburgh, and has taken over play

Thoughts?

512652[/snapback]

He should be fired and so should the d-line coach. A message needs to be sent. I'm all for cutting players but we all know that's not going to happen. :lol:

Where he did crap. I do not see him getting another HC job in the near future. Detroit does still owe him for next year. He either takes a year off, does TV, or is an OC somewhere next year.

512832[/snapback]

hence my point - if he is a very good OC, let us get him. We need some exciting offense here. Remember late 80s when we were a defensive team and went on a run cos of the new offense ? If Mariucci gets released in mid-season, I wouldn't mind getting him NOW and getting a jump start on next season.

Where does this "word" come from?

512946[/snapback]

Yup...never heard of that rumor before....THe only person the Steelers protected was Russ Grimm who was promoted to Assitant Head Coach, so that the only move possible for Russ was to become a head coach....

Being from Pittsburgh, I never heard or saw (in print) any thing about

Wisenhunt being tied up by the Steelers..