Leo Roth: ball-washing in San Diego

SDS

You're a bright guy, but this post doesn't reflect that.

So you're telling me an accurate depiction of Wade Phillips is WITHOUT Doug Flutie?  What the heck kind of logic is that?  That's like saying an accurate measure of Marv's performance as a coach is without Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas and Bruce Smith.  That has to be one of the worst arguments I have seen on this board.

His record as a head coach speaks for itself.  The only reason he hasn't gotten another head coaching job is because he is not a prototypical young star like Greg Williams and Mularkey.  And they have done soo much for us haven't they?

:D

508994[/snapback]

Wade didn't want Flutie. He was all about starting the "Phillips-Johnson era to replace the Levy-Kelly era" (I believe those are his exact words, but I could be a little off). If you want a window into Head Coach Wade's World, the team with Johnson is the more accurate.

Flutie thrived independent of coaches plans. Busted plays are his bread and butter. You don't think the W-L record of Flutie is a testament to Pendry's coaching as well do you?

Wade didn't want Flutie. He was all about starting the "Phillips-Johnson era to replace the Levy-Kelly era" (I believe those are his exact words, but I could be a little off). If you want a window into Head Coach Wade's World, the team with Johnson is the more accurate.

Flutie thrived independent of coaches plans. Busted plays are his bread and butter. You don't think the W-L record of Flutie is a testament to Pendry's coaching as well do you?

509045[/snapback]

The main reason we won most of the games in the Wade era was because of our defense -- not because of either QB.

good post. flutie was 20-9 as a starter though; it was wade who was 29-19 (although i always say 30-18 because i factor in the just give it 'em game).

508896[/snapback]

Flutie was 20-9 and yet all the majority of the jokers on this board were constantly clamoring for Rob Johnson, the same way they all scream for JP to be the starter. I guess this board likes losing.

First of all, Wade did want Flutie. He got sick of RJ very early on in his coaching tenure. It was Ralph who forced him to start RJ for the Tennessee playoff game and that was one of the major reasons why he was fired... because Ralph wanted the next coach to play Johnson while he wanted to keep Flutie. Afterall, it was Wade who installed him as the starter the moment the team started to win. The quote you refer to about the Phillips-Johnson era was made on the day we signed RJ to a long-term deal... he quickly changed his mind after watching him play.

As for Pendry, he wasn't all that great a coordinator. But I think he managed to do well with what he had. And would I take him over Clements? You bet.

509045[/snapback]

When it comes to ranking recent Buffalo GM's, it goes like so:

1. Polian

2. Butler

3. Teflon

If you disagree with this ranking, you might be a TD Apologist.

509026[/snapback]

I agree with Number 1.... I am probably getting closer to agreeing with #2, and perhaps I'm not being fair to Butler... but I can't forgive what he did to the salary cap... even if it was very much Ralph's team then...

I have agreed with most of TD's moves... And the apologist comes in when it comes to having to clean up after Butler.