Official Nate Clements is not a shutdown corner

JoeFerguson

I disagree.  Clements has been living off his reputation of a so called shut down corner for a couple of years now.  After the films from the last few games circulate around the league, other teams will know what many on this board have know for a long time, Clements sucks.

508571[/snapback]

you can believe that all you want. Put Nate on Carolina or a dozen other teams and he is a top tier pro-bowler.

you can believe that all you want.  Put Nate on Carolina or a dozen other teams and he is a top tier pro-bowler.

508580[/snapback]

My intentions in starting this thread were not to discredit NC's potential or talent as an athlete, they were to point out the fact that a player who claims to be the best should play like the best. If they are obnoxiously cocky and cannot back up their talk, I don't want them on the Bills. Of course the entire defense played terribly today, and of course it wasn't always NC's fault when he was toasted, but if he truly is the best at his position, these exceptions should rarely be made. This seems to be a problem with the entire defense. All talk, little action. Whatever happened to "speak softly and carry a big stick?" I don't want the mantra of the Bills to be, "speak loudly, play like you've never had a stick in your hand, and it's always the fault of my terrible teammates".

My intentions in starting this thread were not to discredit NC's potential or talent as an athlete, they were to point out the fact that a player who claims to be the best should play like the best.  If they are obnoxiously cocky and cannot back up their talk, I don't want them on the Bills.  Of course the entire defense played terribly today, and of course it wasn't always NC's fault when he was toasted, but if he truly is the best at his position, these exceptions should rarely be made.  This seems to be a problem with the entire defense.  All talk, little action.  Whatever happened to "speak softly and carry a big stick?"  I don't want the mantra of the Bills to be, "speak loudly, play like you've never had a stick in your hand, and it's always the fault of my terrible teammates".

508600[/snapback]

Where's Nate Odomes when you need him?

By the way, who the hell was playing the other CB position today?  McGee went out lame after the first play of the game, but whatever reject replaced him hardly had to work all day. 

508556[/snapback]

Um, if you didn't hear the guy's name called, that's a good sign. Ideally, your DBs would give perfect coverage every play, forcing the QB to always throw the ball away. Then you'd never hear any of your DBs' names called.

If a DB makes a tackle on a pass play, it usually means the guy he was supposed to be covering just made a catch. So a DB with fewer tackles probably did a better job of not being picked on.

Um, if you didn't hear the guy's name called, that's a good sign. Ideally, your DBs would give perfect coverage every play, forcing the QB to always throw the ball away. Then you'd never hear any of your DBs' names called.

If a DB makes a tackle on a pass play, it usually means the guy he was supposed to be covering just made a catch. So a DB with fewer tackles probably did a better job of not being picked on.

508617[/snapback]

Bingo. That's exactly my point.

In no way are we stuck with Greer or King. It's called FREE AGENCY. started a couple of years ago.

Clements will get 8-10M/year, just not from the Bills I hope. With that money the Bills can sign two players as good as Clements has proven to be and be way ahead on that deal.

Dumba###  I agree that he is not worth what he wants, but just realize you have to be content with Eric King or Jabari Greer as your other CB.  That's the name of the game.  Some team will over pay for his services, it probably won't be Buffalo.  He will get 8-10M/year as crazy as that sounds.

508079[/snapback]

Nates a top 5 corner in this league who had a very bad game.

We can't afford to resign him, this team needs Offensive, and defensive line help before anything else.

508579[/snapback]

Nate's a top 5 corner in this leauge, except when he isn't....he has had, in my estimation, 3 horrendous games this year. The Saints, Raiders and Chargers games were all sub-par....no conincidence that all were road games, when the entire team was lousy...you are correct, the lack of production by the D-line is having a negative effect on the entire defense.

When the Bills let Pat Williams go, and then did not even show any interest in Corey Simon, I posted that our D-line would make our secondary look pretty average...I got blasted by a whole bunch of long-time posters, asking me what one had to do with the other, most assuring me that Clements would/could shut down one side of the field, and that McGee was an improving Pro-Bowl corner. It all starts with the lines...and unfortunately, it ends with the lines. The Bills have a bad O-line, and a bad D-line. If the lines were solid, the rest of this team would look better.

Phooey. Is there really a better player on defense right now for the Bills?

509061[/snapback]

Probably not, but that still doesn't justify the kind of money he is going to ask for...if there were no salary cap, I could care less how much he is paid...

Phooey. Is there really a better player on defense right now for the Bills?

509061[/snapback]

The sad truth is, no. Clements is the best player on our defense with Takeo out.

I give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he was pressing, trying to do too much, trying to make the spectular interception, rather than just taking care of business and doing his job.

I hope that was the case, or else I predict that NC will follow Thomas Smith and Ken Irvin to a second chance outpost someplace and then get bounced right out of the NFL in short order.