Adam

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it.

509333[/snapback]

Doubt it all you want, but I was.

Just because a stadium attack hasn't happened in America--yet--doesn't mean it hasn't happened anywhere else. If it's something we can protect ourselves against, and it's a minimal intrusion on our liberty (we are still talking about an extra fifteen minutes in line as the sacrifice, right?), why not? Hey, what if at Atlanta 1996 or Munich 1972 the security actually checked the folks walking into the Olympic Village? Doesn't seem like such a horrible idea now, does it?

And you know this how...?

http://www.ucomics.com/cornered/2005/11/18/

CW

509330[/snapback]

That cartoon was entertaining & makes a great point: I agree, a lot of supposed security measures lull us into a false sense of security.

However, while stadium security checks may not provide all the security we'd ever want, the checks do provide some added measure. So unless one is incredibly impatient (15 minutes?!) or is trying to sneak in alcohol 'cause he's cheap (see my earlier post on that), I think the tradeoff of mild inconvenience on a Sunday afternoon for _some_ security is better than no security.

Cf. my earlier post re: Atlanta and Munich.

That cartoon was entertaining & makes a great point:  I agree, a lot of supposed security measures lull us into a false sense of security. 

However, while stadium security checks may not provide all the security we'd ever want, the checks do provide some added measure.  So unless one is incredibly impatient (15 minutes?!) or is trying to sneak in alcohol 'cause he's cheap (see my earlier post on that), I think the tradeoff of mild inconvenience on a Sunday afternoon for _some_ security is better than no security.

Cf.  my earlier post re: Atlanta and Munich.

509847[/snapback]

The checks provide *NO EXTRA SECURITY,* that's my point. If they did, fine, go for it. But they don't and, as pointed out by a previous poster, could actually do more harm than good since a terrorist can easily do something to the crowd of people waiting to get into the gate. So not only are they costing taxpayer dollars, not only are they an intrusion into personal liberties, but they don't improve security one ioota.

THAT'S why I'm against them.

CW

Good thing there's a lot of people who agree with you.

It's also nice to see the government protecting Kentucky's bingo halls.  I was starting to worry about terrorists playing bingo.  :)

http://www.wkyt.com/Global/story.asp?S=4019597

CW

510046[/snapback]

After reading that, I'm more concerned about who will protect us from the Kentuckians. Good grief.

Good thing there's a lot of people who agree with you.

It's also nice to see the government protecting Kentucky's bingo halls.  I was starting to worry about terrorists playing bingo.  :lol:

http://www.wkyt.com/Global/story.asp?S=4019597

CW

510046[/snapback]

What's next? The Girls Scouts being accused of money laundering for terrorists?

It's nice to know the US Constitution is being used for a doormat the last 4 years.

I have actually found it easier to sneak beers into the stadium with the new pat-down rules. Before, they would see four guys in their mid-to-upper 20's entering the stadium, and they would give us the body search, checking every waistband, armpit, pocket, hat, and sock. Now it is a quick one-two around the midsection and you are good to go. Before they had more time to "profile" the suspicious beer drinkers and give them some extra attention. Now, with everyone getting a taste, it seems like they just want to give you a quick pat and keep the line moving along. Hooray security!!!

Please note, I don't sneak beers in because I want to get absolutely creamed. I enjoy having a beer with the game, so why leave some cold ones in the cooler in the lot and pay $7.50 inside when you can bring the cold ones with you?

I was out in LA all week before heading down to SD for the Bills game, and I went to the USC-Fresno St game Saturday night. The LA Coliseum decided not to sell alcohol this year for the first time. I never realized how much I enjoyed having a brewski while at a game. I found my hand in the shape of holding a can, only to look down in horror when I remembered my hand was empty! :lol:

Somebody needs to go back to school and learn about their country.

507627[/snapback]

Really. That had to be satire...no? Could ANYONE be ignorant enough to type "People think they have the right to change the Constitution, but they don't" and believe it? Sheesh. Bettere kill those pesky amendments.

Really.  That had to be satire...no?  Could ANYONE be ignorant enough to type "People think they have the right to change the Constitution, but they don't" and believe it?  Sheesh.  Bettere kill those pesky amendments.

511369[/snapback]

Around here, it's hard to tell...

If you don't like it, you don't have to go to the game.

511630[/snapback]

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, one of America’s founding fathers, wrote that “They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

I bet Mr. Franklin was an idiot too though, right? :doh:

EDIT: I'm not saying you called me an idiot for my beliefs, although others in this (and the previous) thread have.

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, one of America’s founding fathers, wrote that “They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

I bet Mr. Franklin was an idiot too though, right?  :doh:

511636[/snapback]

I'm actually kind of curious to hear what Franklin would think on this subject. Since it's not the government performing the "pat downs" I'm not sure he'd have a big problem with it.

I agree with your premise, though.

I'm actually kind of curious to hear what Franklin would think on this subject.  Since it's not the government performing the "pat downs" I'm not sure he'd have a big problem with it.

I agree with your premise, though.

511638[/snapback]

Good point, although I don't believe that business can impose whatever rules they want either (as others have said in this thread).

I bet Mr. Franklin was an idiot too though, right?  :doh:

EDIT: I'm not saying you called me an idiot for my beliefs, although others in this (and the previous) thread have.

511636[/snapback]

This offends me, why are they calling you an idiot, and not me! :w00t:

Well, I agree with Mr. Franklin, but I'm really not thinking about my own safety. To those of you out there with kids (I dont have one)- would you like it just to be even a bit safer for them to be there?

but the pat downs DO NOTHING to improve safety. All it does is stop beer smuggling.

......Which is probably the REAL reason that they follow through with the friggin' pat downs....

Not all the time. Three years ago I snuck in seven beers to Arrowhead Stadium. I had two in each pocket, two in my belt and one under my stocking cap. My hat was totally in the shape of a beer, I was just too drunk to care. I got patted down and still walked into the game with every beer. That is proof they are a waste of time. None the less walking in to the stadium with a beer shaped stocking hat was still pretty funny. Good times :blink: