LOST 2.07 Discussion Thread

The Tomcat

There were tones that he was related to a terrorist cell, and infiltrated the cell to be able to get back to his woman.  One of them was his friend.  He betrayed the trust to get something for himself.  Lets just say he didn't infiltrate the cell out of his belief that what they were doing was wrong.

510861[/snapback]

There were "tones"? No, there were flashbacks just prior to Sayid getting on the flight that he aided the FBI in busting a terror cell and foil a major attack by using his previous friendship with one of the cell members. Which he did, at considerable personal risk, and which he didn't have to do. Sayid isn't down with hurting innocent people. He tortured Sawyer for cause and with approval from Jack and the other Lostaways. He didn't kill Locke even tho Shannon asked him to "do something about [Locke killing Boone]" b/c, despite his gut feeling, he had no proof that the crash wasn't accidental (nor did he hear Locke say, "Boone was a sacrifice that the island demanded" that showed malicious intent, at least).

What is the island is one grand f-ed up reality show (i.e. Running Man) and "Lost" is a critique of all the reality shows out there.

511035[/snapback]

That would actually be pretty cool.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damn, i hope not!

Ok, I have a stupid theory (self-admittedly) that I thought of when I got up at 3am with my 1 year-old son.

What is the island is one grand f-ed up reality show (i.e. Running Man) and "Lost" is a critique of all the reality shows out there.

511035[/snapback]

There were "tones"? No, there were flashbacks just prior to Sayid getting on the flight that he aided the FBI in busting a terror cell and foil a major attack by using his previous friendship with one of the cell members. Which he did, at considerable personal risk, and which he didn't have to do. Sayid isn't down with hurting innocent people. He tortured Sawyer for cause and with approval from Jack and the other Lostaways. He didn't kill Locke even tho Shannon asked him to "do something about [Locke killing Boone]" b/c, despite his gut feeling, he had no proof that the crash wasn't accidental (nor did he hear Locke say, "Boone was a sacrifice that the island demanded" that showed malicious intent, at least).

That would actually be pretty cool.

511062[/snapback]

Well, I guess last nights episode where he confessed to torturing people (other than sawyer) would kind of kill the, not down with hurting innocent people idea. I'm not saying I don't like Sayid, his character is great, but he is NOT a good person. Notice how all the people have something bad in their past?

Well, I guess last nights episode where he confessed to torturing people (other than sawyer) would kind of kill the, not down with hurting innocent people idea.  I'm not saying I don't like Sayid, his character is great, but he is NOT a good person.  Notice how all the people have something bad in their past?

511941[/snapback]

He tortured people, yes. In the Republican Guard, that's what they did with Iraqis who were suspected of not being loyal to Saddam, people who were theives, people who did or were suspected of any variety of crime. Tantamount to police *ahem* coercing a confession out of a suspect and to find out what else they know. Some probably were innocent but if it weren't Sayid, it would have been someone else doing the torturing. It's kind of like how on the island, he doesn't question what things need to be done; he just does it (i.e. he doesn't ask what the computer was for, he fixed it first) b/c it's his job. Think what you want about that; he's a yes-sir follower, he's the muscle guy, whatever. But I wouldn't say that if it were his call, that he'd be jumping at the chance to torture an innocent person.

What does Jack have in his past that's so bad? Hurley? Claire? Rose?

BUMP

Amazing that there hasn't been a new post to this thread since Thanksgiving.

Looks like we get the gaps filled in on Kate's backstory tonight. Here's my guess...obviously something happened to her father, and I bet she had something to do with it given her mothers reaction to her at the hospital last season. I bet that her father abused her, and that she killed him. She then spent the time thereafter on her own, relying on a life of crime to get by.

BUMP

Looks like we get the gaps filled in on Kate's backstory tonight.  Here's my guess...obviously something happened to her father, and I bet she had something to do with it given her mothers reaction to her at the hospital last season.  I bet that her father abused her, and that she killed him.  She then spent the time thereafter on her own, relying on a life of crime to get by.

516432[/snapback]

Quite possibly Kate will have a story that makes her criminal past more acceptable kind of like Ana's story in last week's episode made her a little more palatable.

Back stories = dirt!!!

BUMP

Looks like we get the gaps filled in on Kate's backstory tonight.  Here's my guess...obviously something happened to her father, and I bet she had something to do with it given her mothers reaction to her at the hospital last season.  I bet that her father abused her, and that she killed him.  She then spent the time thereafter on her own, relying on a life of crime to get by.

516432[/snapback]

Last season I was under the impression that Kate has some official military training in her background. I am going on nothing more than her ability to handle weapons in the bank flashback.

It certainly is TV and her skill in that scene could be attributed to just that. But knowing how much Abrams loves female military/special ops type characters, it wouldn't surprise me if at one point in time she worked for some sort of government agency.

This is a total guess though, based soley on her one flashback in the bank and in some ways her interaction with the Marshall. I don't really think it's right, but it's always been in the back of my mind.

Last season I was under the impression that Kate has some official military training in her background. I am going on nothing more than her ability to handle weapons in the bank flashback.

It certainly is TV and her skill in that scene could be attributed to just that. But knowing how much Abrams loves female military/special ops type characters, it wouldn't surprise me if at one point in time she worked for some sort of government agency.

This is a total guess though, based soley on her one flashback in the bank and in some ways her interaction with the Marshall. I don't really think it's right, but it's always been in the back of my mind.

516597[/snapback]

Hey...those are some good thoughts. You're right...she certainly does act like she's had some type of military/commando training. We'll just have to see. I'm just happy that its going to be a Kate-filled episode! :doh:

Hey...those are some good thoughts.  You're right...she certainly does act like she's had some type of military/commando training.  We'll just have to see.  I'm just happy that its going to be a Kate-filled episode!  :doh:

516616[/snapback]

I think she's said that he father was a tracker/hunter (and likely military training) and she learned it from going along with him. I'm doubting that it was some kind of abuse that she did whatever she did. The times she has spoken about him seem bittersweetly positive.

I'm going to guess that her father was suffering some kind of disease and she did a so-called mercy killing; which might help explain why her mother was so sh-- scared to see her in the hospital.