Thoughts on the game

nodnarb

But I'll take it.

This game was won thanks to defense (finally) and special teams.

Our D showed up in a big way. Our secondary is REALLY good. A lotta nice coverage sacks and good breakups by clements and mcgee. But then again, the Chiefs have schitty receivers.

There isn't another special teams coach that I'd rather have.

Lindell is back to his typical form. His performace thus far had been atypical.

You know it's true.

But the most important thing:

This was one of the WORST CALLED OFFENSIVE GAMES I've seen since...since maybe the Raiders game. Or Saints.

Mularkey's strange fascination with keeping McGahee off the field on critical downs, and using embarrassing gadgetry on 4th and inches instead of pounding one of the toughest SOBs in the game, is bewildering.

We tried to give this game away about six times, and our defense bailed us out.

Best defensive game since Week 1.

I'm still not impressed, and I still don't like our chances.

If we can beat the chargers coming off their bye in their house, then I'll be forced to reconsider. But on offense I don't think we have the blocking, consistency of execution, playcalling, and adjustment wisdom to beat a banged up patriots team to the division in a year where it was right there for the taking.

Hoping for the best, but not expecting much. Why? Because the pattern has been set and I don't like what it tells me.

Mularkey and Clements think too much. They overthink every situation. Pound McGahee like you did versus the Pats (our best called offensive game to date this year, despite the loss). Give up the stupid plays and call a football game.

Why didn't we take a knee with 2:00 and they couldn't stop the clock?

Either stupidity, or a lack of awareness of the situation.

I think it's the latter.

Decent job by JP. That second Evans TD was placed perfectly. Hopefully he'll get on track. I still believe in the kid. Why? Cuz Sam Wyche does, and he knows a lot more about football than any of us. Probably all of us combined. And that's enough for me.

More games are "lost" in this league than "won"...

501710[/snapback]

Seems so.

Games like this happen every Sunday - a club has a wide statistical margin, but gets beat. Like BUF - NE.

I'd be more critical of the Chief's offensive playcalling than the Bills' - It looked to me as the 1st half was ending, that Green was having a bad day, and would continue to do so.

Given that their running was very effective, they dug their own hole.

Seems so.

Games like this happen every Sunday - a club has a wide statistical margin, but gets beat. Like BUF - NE.

I'd be more critical of the Chief's offensive playcalling than the Bills' - It looked to me as the 1st half was ending, that Green was having a bad day, and would continue to do so. 

Given that their running was very effective, they dug their own hole.

501727[/snapback]

No kidding... I thought it was going to be only a matter of time until KC realizes that they should just run and then we would be done for. It never happened and we won.

Anyone who thought the 'D' did well today, must've missed the fact that we still can't stop the run. Johnson almost averaged 5 ypc. KC should've just kept running the ball at the start of the 2nd half, but they insisted on trying to establish some kind of passing game. I would've kept running until the Bills could stop it consistently. Our D was getting handled in the running game.

No kidding...  I thought it was going to be only a matter of time until KC realizes that they should just run and then we would be done for.  It never happened and we won. 

Anyone who thought the 'D' did well today, must've missed the fact that we still can't stop the run.  Johnson almost averaged 5 ypc.  KC should've just kept running the ball at the start of the 2nd half, but they insisted on trying to establish some kind of passing game.  I would've kept running until the Bills could stop it consistently.  Our D was getting handled in the running game.

501962[/snapback]

IMO, that's just plain stupid. Defense is determined by points against by far, and then turnovers. Period. Yards against, running or passing, means absolutely NOTHING when you give up 3 points and have four turnovers (not to mention all the sacks). That was a fabulous defensive game against one of the best offenses in the business.

No kidding...  I thought it was going to be only a matter of time until KC realizes that they should just run and then we would be done for.  It never happened and we won. 

Anyone who thought the 'D' did well today, must've missed the fact that we still can't stop the run.  Johnson almost averaged 5 ypc.  KC should've just kept running the ball at the start of the 2nd half, but they insisted on trying to establish some kind of passing game.  I would've kept running until the Bills could stop it consistently.  Our D was getting handled in the running game.

501962[/snapback]

i disagree.

our D didn't give up any back breaking plays, and if you can own the pass as well as we did today all you have to do is keep them out of the red zone and make a single play on first down to take them out of running distance on 2nd and 3rd.

our d has been aggressive and made plays since the oakland game, against VERY good Os. they played with big time intensity and got better as the game went on. they also played great on 3rd down and in the redzone.

our D and special teams played well early to keep the cheifs from scoring inspite of having some bad drives by the O.

IMO, that's just plain stupid. Defense is determined by points against by far, and then turnovers. Period. Yards against, running or passing, means absolutely NOTHING when you give up 3 points and have four turnovers (not to mention all the sacks). That was a fabulous defensive game against one of the best offenses in the business.

501974[/snapback]

You're absolutely correct. Green hadn't thrown a pick in 159 passes and the Chiefs are very explosive.

Full marks to Schobel for totally taking advantage of his matchup today.

You're absolutely correct.  Green hadn't thrown a pick in 159 passes and the Chiefs are very explosive.

501998[/snapback]

I was impressed with 94 today. I also think the Cheifs found out the LJ is nowhere near the blocker that PH is.

501974[/snapback]

Don't agree with much, but you're on a streak today. Yeah, we were fairly crappy against the run, but today's effort was the prototype for how the Bills were supposed to win this year. Causing turnovers and preventing the other team from scoring are the 2 most important things a good defense does.

You're absolutely correct.  Green hadn't thrown a pick in 159 passes and the Chiefs are very explosive.

501998[/snapback]

Yeah, normally his sacks aremeaningless but both of them today were very well timed and important. Yeah, he was playing against a back-up but we needed it from him and we got it.

Don't agree with much, but you're on a streak today.  Yeah,  we were fairly crappy against the run, but today's effort was the prototype for how the Bills were supposed to win this year.  Turnovers and preventing the other team from scoring are the 2 most important things a good defense does.

Actually the ONLY stat that truly matter is points allowed. Everything else (yards, TO's, sacks) may or may not tie into that. But in a game decided by points scored versus points given-up, points allowed (and scored) are the most important stats.

Yeah, normally his sacks aremeaningless but both of them today were very well timed and important. Yeah, he was playing against a back-up but we needed it from him and we got it.

502005[/snapback]

Reminded me a bit of the Giants game a couple of seasons ago where he used their rookie LT as a dish rag all game.

Actually the ONLY stat that truly matter is points allowed.  Everything else (yards, TO's, sacks) may or may not tie into that.  But in a game decided by points scored versus points given-up, points allowed (and scored) are the most important stats.

502010[/snapback]

That's not really true because turnovers are usually a huge difference in how many points your offense scores. Not to mention the emotional impact on the game.