Rundown on the Chiefs for next week!

cmh6476

I'm sick and stayed home from work, so I might as well kill some time and give you guys a little food for thought heading into next week's game! Let's start out with injuries because we had a ton of guys out this week:

Priest Holmes - Head concussion suffered in the Chargers game. They originally thought he'd be back for the Raider's game, but then kept him out after some setbacks. They will keep a close eye on him this week to see where he's at. There was an article in the KC Star that said the injury could be worse than first thought and he could miss more than one game.

Willie Roaf - Wouldn't surprise me to see him out again. I believe he went out for warmup's before the game to test it out, but I'm not sure about that! Jordan Black has moved over to LT in his absence, and he's been getting eaten alive. The right side is still ok with John Wellbourne filling in, but you just can't replace a guy like Roaf. This will be a big setback if he can't go again.

Patrick Surtain - They thought he might be able to go against the Raiders. His knee was a bit banged up, I believe a knee bruise. I think he should be back and ready to go next week. Dewayne Washington stepped up and played a good game yesterday, but having Surtain is even better.

Dexter McCleon - Dexter had started the first four games because of Eric Warfield's suspension, but Warfield is back now and has secured the starting job opposite Surtain. McCleon has been torched this year, and just doesn't have the size or athleticism to be a solid corner in thsi league.

Samie Parker - Held out the last couple week's, status uncertain for next week.

Jerome Woods - Backup safety and special teams player. If he can't go it really isn't that biog a deal.

Ryan Sims - Has been out since the opener, and will likely be out again.

----------------

Now how bout a rundown at each position? I like the Chiefs matchup here. Basically, when we put pressure on the QB we have won, when we don't we have lost. When we got some pressure on Collins yesterday he made mistakes and we got the ball back. When we didn't put pressure on him, he completed his passes. This has been a reoccurring theme this season.

Our run D has been pretty good. That's why I like next week's matchup. If we can slow down McGahee and force KH/ JPL to beat us, then we have a good chance of winning this game IMO.

Quarterback - I know there was some uncertainty about Green's status this week. His father passed away last week, and he had to travel home to make arrangements for the funeral. He wasn't at practice at all but Friday, but he still played well.

The thing here is the uncertainty of Roaf. Green just isn't as comfortable in the pocket without Roaf guarding his blindside. Our O-Line is still good without Roaf, just not as good as it is when he's in there. Trent's still getting the job done and executing effectively.

Offensive Line - I just don't know how much I can stress Roaf's importance. This line is just completely different when he's in there. The interior is solid regardless, with Guards Will Shields and Bryan Waters, and Casey Weigmann who is one of the best pulling centers in the league. Jordan Black plays well on the right side, is just having a tough time in the transition to the left side of the line. The right side will be fine however, no matter who starts (Black, Wellbourne, or even Chris Bober). All of those guys have seen time starting, so I don't see that much of a dropoff when Black moves to the left side.

Running Back - I think almost everyone is familiar with our halfback situation. Even if Priest can't go next week, LJ can get the job done. He has already proven this.

We also have one of the best blocking fullbacks out there in Tony Richardson.

Wide Receiver - Eddie Kennison is really having a nice year. Making plays and not dropping balls. It's the other side that's been struggling. Samie Parker has missed the last couple games, but that's not really that big of a deal. There isn't much of a dropoff from him to guys like Marc Boerigter and Chris Horn.

Tight Ends - Tony Gonzalez really plays better when Willie Roaf is in there. When Roaf's been out, they've had to keep Gonzo back more in pass protection, limiting the offense. If Roaf's back, then that frees up Gonzo to go out more in routes. Jason Dunn is also a force here, one of the better blocking TEs in the game, and is basically the equivalent of adding another Tackle on the offensive line.

Defensive Line - This is the one area that has really been up and down for the Chiefs. When they are on and geting into the backfield, our defense has been stopping people. But when O-Lines have controlled our defensive front, we are getting torched, mainly through the air.

Our DEs are playing well, and we have four guys that are contributing (Eric Hicks, Jared Allen, Carlos Hall & Jimmy Wilkerson). Allen is really making some plays out there.

Where we have been struggling is at DT, and getting a push up the middle. Ryan Sims went down in the first game, and he was getting praised all pre-season. John Browning is decent, but Lionel Dalton and Junior Siavii have been mediocre, at best. We really could have used a guy like Pat Williams.

Linebackers - This is the strength on defense for us. Derrick Johnson is going to be a player in this league for sometime. He's all over the field making plays on the outside, and giving us more speed than we've had in the past.

On the other side we have Kendrell Bell, who we got via free agency. It seems it's taken him some time to grasp the defensive schemes, but he's finally starting to come around and make a difference. And Kawika Mitchell is really playing well in the middle with the added talent around him.

I think the improvements at LB are really why our team is much improved against the run. We have speed we didn't have before and these guys are making plays.

Secondary - I really like our talent in the secondary, even though the stats would lead you to believe these guys aren't very good. Well, I'll give you Dexter McCleon isn't very good, and he started the first four games. But with Warfield back, and Surtain likely back next week, I really like our corners. Even guys like Benny Sapp, Dexter McCleon, and Dewayne Washington battling over the Nickel and Dimes are decent. But we'll be much better off when we finally have Warfield and Surtain lining up 100%.

And I like the guys we have at safety. Sammy Knight was added in the offseason and he's stepping up and making plays. He's also good at reading defenses, and could give the Chiefs some heads up on the offensive tendencies against the Bills.

Greg Wesley will make some really good plays, and then a couple bad ones. He had a really nice game yesterday and I think he's still a quality safety. Even having Jerome Woods as a backup is a nice option, even though I don't think he's anywhere near where he used to be.

Punter - If you guys have an inexperienced guy returning punts then lookout. We drafted Dustin Colquitt this year in the 3rd round, and I really like what I've seen from him. He has a nice hangtime and a special kick. He's leftfooted and has a funky way the ball comes off his foot. Dante Hall said in preseason he had a hard time fielding his punts, and Vermeil said there'd be a couple times this season that return guys would give the ball back to us cause they wouldn't be able to field it. This has been the case so far. Yesterday Carr for oakland dropped a punt, and he had problem the first time we played Oakland (had a fumble that we recovered in that game as well). There have also been a couple other guys that dropped punts from this guy this year.

Kicker - Lawrence Tynes is having a great year and nailing field goals.

Special Teams - And just in case you forgot after reading through all of that, we have this guy named Dante Hall who returns kicks and punts. He's pretty good!

----------------

Good luck next week, and I hope this gives you some insight going into next week's game. I'll try and keep you updated on all the injuries as the week progresses!

peace.

Seriously, thanks for a very good post.

I must tell you that you are right about the importance of Roaf.

Aaron Schobel might not be regarded as a top defensive end, but trust me, he is extrordinarily fast. He is VERY good a exploiting the weaker OTs, and if Roaf sits, do not be surprised if he alone accounts for 2 or 3 sacks.

In all, I expect a close game, especially if Willis is able to move the sticks.

your guys should be really fired up now, with the way the Pats lost and your division being basically wide open.

497675[/snapback]

Quit trying to encourage us...the team sucks and we won't win another game this year... :devil:

your guys should be really fired up now, with the way the Pats lost and your division being basically wide open.

497675[/snapback]

Man, to have the last five minutes of last week go another way...

I don't see anyone touching the Colts this year. Now that they have found a defense, they are scary good.

Patrick Surtain and Dexter McCleon are progressing nicely and could go for the Chiefs this week. It's not looking as good for Roaf and Woods who will likely be listed as doubtful on the injury report.

I also heard today that we should know a little more about Priest's status either tonight or tomorrow morning...

I'm plenty worried, but had the Chiefs lost to New Bruschi (We're not worthy!) on Sunday, I'd say there's little hope. That tough win gave us a tiny (very tiny) chance, IMO.

I still don't have any idea how we stop their running game. But, I think we MAY be able to move the ball against their D.

BTW, nice job Cheif-guy. You're no Lori...but, you're all right.

Wow, I don't really have anything to add about the Chiefs.

I just wanted to say hey to the old timers out there. I met some of you guys in '03 at the Bills game at Arrowhead. I wish I was going to Buffalo! It's about time KC had to travel to Buffalo. It always seemed like the Bills were coming to Kansas City.

I'd also like to extend an invite to any of the Chiefs message boards. I'd love for a Bills fan to give a rundown on Buffalo a la cmh6746. I'll be lurking here in case none of you feel adventurous enough to try wildbillschiefs.com or chiefsplanet.com :huh:

Wow, I don't really have anything to add about the Chiefs.

I just wanted to say hey to the old timers out there. I met some of you guys in '03 at the Bills game at Arrowhead. I wish I was going to Buffalo! It's about time KC had to travel to Buffalo. It always seemed like the Bills were coming to Kansas City.

I'd also like to extend an invite to any of the Chiefs message boards. I'd love for a Bills fan to give a rundown on Buffalo a la cmh6746. I'll be lurking here in case none of you feel adventurous enough to try wildbillschiefs.com or chiefsplanet.com :huh:

498965[/snapback]

Nice Avatar. Quick change artist, I see.