My All-Time, All-Freak Team

I forgot about adding an owner. The choice would be pretty obvious: Al Davis. Exhibit Q. would be his grandma glasses. Art Modell seems pretty classless too. Anyone remember his dance at the superbowl party he threw when the Ravens won ? That guy shouldn’t be allowed to dance again.

About Glanville in the booth:

I had the privilege a few years ago to watch and listen to a game that featured Glanville as a colour commentator. After Bledsoe threw a 20 y. pass to a WR, Glanville said something like "Drew's passes have so much zip on them he could throw a football through a carwash and the ball wouldn’t even get wet.” Classic stuff.

Marc in Montréal

. Art Modell seems pretty classless too. Anyone remember his dance at the superbowl party he threw when the Ravens won ? That guy shouldn’t be allowed to dance again.

Marc in Montréal

494205[/snapback]

During the merger/realignment negotiations, Cleveland owner Art Modell said,

" I'm not looking forward to having Denver in my stadium." How right he was!

Also I would add John Riggins to the all freak backfield. When he was with the Jets he ran the hundred yard dash in 9.5 seconds. When he was with the 'skins he got drunk at a D.C. cocktail party and told Justice O'Connor, " Loosen up, Sandy baby!".

I'd add the guy, and i dont remember his name, who had the "hit list" of QB's he was going to take out. He put their numbers on a towel hanging out fo his pants, and when he injured one, he'd cross off their number.

Anyone know who this was and who he played for?

493892[/snapback]

I think the "hit list" guy was Tim Harris of the PACKERS....he had a skull and cross-bones logo on the towel along with the player's number, all done with a black magic marker. I do recall him picking Jim McMahon up and dropping him on his head waaaaay after the play.

That was Charles "Too Mean" Martin, a former DLineman for the Pack. I remember him chasing down Jim McMahon on a fire call as McMahon was casually walking ot the sideline, and picking him up and slamming him to the turf about 10 full seconds after the actual interception. That day he had McMahon's, Payton's and Gault's (plus a couple OLinemen)numbers on his towel. It was the last play in McMahon's season and he was replaced by none other than Doug Flutie, who couldn't lead the defending worldchamp Bears to a single playoff win even though he was surrounded by an obscene amount of talent on both sides of the ball.

Martin recently died at a young age but I don't remember the cause. I wonder if many Bears fans have ever forgiven him?

494068[/snapback]

Thanks Simon!

ESPN should stick him in their SundayNight booth just to see how long it would take for Theisman and McGuire to run out the door screaming. I bet Jerry would been delightfully incorrigible during the Bruschi (We're not worthy!) (We're not worthy!) debacle.  :lol:

494187[/snapback]

That would be hilarious. I'd drag in Buddy Ryan, too.

How about the Bills' own Jim Haslett? Anyone remember the game against the Stillers when he stomped on Terry Bradshaw's bald dome after Bradshaw's helmet had come off? Classic! :D He got ejected and he didn't help the Bills' cause that day but it sure felt good watching it. :blink::huh:

Did anyone mention Conrad Dobler?

494470[/snapback]

You beat me to it. Gotta have a guy that used to pinch and bite guys under the pile.

I would also throw Leonard Smith in there. He makes Rodney Harrison look like a saint.

>>>>>If I was going to add a freak it would probably be Jack Tatum. He gets a lot of guff about being a cheap-shot artist but it's a bunch of crap. He was actually a very quiet and kindly man who was simply blessed with a body that was years ahead of the game at the time. He had a size/speed ratio that was simply unheard of for that era and which would probably make Roy Williams or Sean Taylor gape in wonder. His huge frame and blazing speed in an era of much smaller wide-outs is the reason he hurt so many people throughout his career, not because he was a dirty player. The black uniform, the Assassin nickname and teh Raider mystique all combine to paint a picture which is not in line with reality.<<<<<

I am very impressed, whereas I thought that you were too young to know about the old Raiders.

Al Atkinson was crazier than Tatum. Do you remember that he would not talk to anybody whatsoever? He did his first interview whenhe was over 50, and looked like he was about to kill someone.

George Allen was asked why he traded John Matusak. His answer is because for breakfast, the Tooz had vodka and valium. :blink:

It is surely out of print, but if you ever can, pick up a copy of "Snake" by Ken Stabler, in which he tells stories about these and other nuts.

Another great football book (Rockpile is a fan of this as well) is called "Necessary Roughness" by former agent Mike Trope. In it, there is a full chapter on RB Chuck Muncie, who certainly belongs on this list.