No Child Left Unrecruited

MattyT

A family member recently told me that a note had been sent home from her daughter's high school informing her that the school would be releasing her daughter's personal data to the US Military. This is all done as part of the No Child Left Behind Act. If she chose to, she could opt-out of this to prevent the information from being disclosed.

Here is an article that I found on the subject....

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/ramasastry/20021204.html

For those of you with children in high school...

- Have you heard about this initiative?

- If yes, have you been informed by the school?

- Does it bother you from a privacy standpoint?

Personally, I would opt out of this (assuming that I was properly notified). As far as I'm concerned, the military can have my children's (once I have one) information when they register with selective services and not before then.

Opinions?

I don't know how they do things now days. I have a buddy who was a recruiter in the early 90's. He said he received a printout of all eligible seniors, and he had to go down the list and call them one by one. The list was supposed to list all seniors and even had unlisted phone numbers on it.

i don't think it has anything to do with the 'no child left behind' bs. they were doing the same thing when i was in high school. the recruiters request info from the school districts and the only way to prevent them from getting your kids info is to notify the school you wish to opt out

one thing to watch out for is if you get a notice that your school is administering an ASVAB test (our military friends may know for sure, but i think it stands for Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery). If your kid takes one of these and scores high enough, the recruiters will be all over them. I f*cked up and scored too high on it and the navy would not leave me alone, kept trying to get me into their nuclear program. THey started on me when i was like 17 and didn't give up until i was 23, had moved out, and my parents wouldn't provide my new phone number when they called.

Since nobody wants to RTFA, here is an excerpt...

The federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) - which remains law but has been modified by the relevant provisions of the No Child Left Behind Act - governs the release of student records by schools receiving federal funds.

It provided that parents must give written consent prior to disclosure of personal student data. In short, it instituted an "opt in," not an "opt out" system. And the "opt in," appropriately, was formal and written.

FERPA has always had a few, relatively innocuous exceptions, under which disclosure can be made without prior parental consent, under an "opt out" system. One exception is for information to be disclosed in the educational context - to, for example, professors, financial aid officers, and other schools to which the student is applying. Another exception is for "directory information" - contact information, in the form of names addresses and telephone numbers - which may, if a school so chooses, be sent to, for example, class ring and yearbook companies.

"Directory information," however, has never been released to military recruiters without parental consent, until now. Indeed, schools generally have had a longstanding policy against such release.

One might point out that "directory information" is not highly private, and has been released without consent before. But release of information to a class ring company or yearbook printer leads, at most, to a solicitation to buy a class ring or yearbook. At worst, the student will spend some money without his or her parents' permission.

I don't doubt that some of you were contacted when you were a senior in HS (very possibly AFTER you had registered with SS), but the point is that before the NCLB Act, it was an opt-in system. Now it's not.

No it wasnt. I never checked a box saying "check here to be contacted by the Army" on any form I ever filled out.

Much ado about nothing.

And frankly..I have ZERO problem if the govt called every HS Senior in the land to try and recruit him or her. There are plenty of other countries where you have no choice than to serve, like it or not. So a few phone calls from Uncle Sam politely asking me if I would be interested in serving my country when I turn 18 isnt anything to get bent about.

but the point is that before the NCLB Act, it was an opt-in system. Now it's not.

35175[/snapback]

Not that I recall. I never said "Yes, please call me repeatedly to get me to enlist." What's more, people I know who NEVER would have said that got called as well.

What's more, I graduated HS at 17...I didn't even register with SS until six months later. So they sure as hell didn't get my information from that.

Don't know how they got it...but they got it. Despite what the article claims, I don't think there ever was an "opt in" system for military recruitment. From what I can tell, it's ALWAYS been an "opt out" system...except now schools are telling the students and parents that they have the option of opting out, which I think is an improvement.

A family member recently told me that a note had been sent home from her daughter's high school informing her that the school would be releasing her daughter's personal data to the US Military. This is all done as part of the No Child Left Behind Act. If she chose to, she could opt-out of this to prevent the information from being disclosed.

Personally, I would opt out of this (assuming that I was properly notified). As far as I'm concerned, the military can have my children's (once I have one) information when they register with selective services and not before then.

Opinions?

35127[/snapback]

-No, I haven't heard of this.

-No, I haven't been informed by my son's HS

-Yes, it does bother me

Given the opportunity, I also will opt out. I'm so sick of the hidden language in these 'Acts' that are buried somewhere in a tiny paragraph on the 1097th page, yet its so typical and so not surprising. You can never, ever, ever take anything at face value with this administration. There's always, always something being deliberately kept quiet or something given so much spin, its laughable.

Unless my son decides (over my dead body :blush: ) to enlist on his own, it will be a cold day in hell before he gets any encouragement from me or his father (a former sergeant in Nat'l Guard who was critically injured on active duty) to join the service. He knows how we both feel about it and thus far, shares our views. He also is an only child, which I believe also exempts him from any draft that may occur.

Given the opportunity, I also will opt out. I'm so sick of the hidden language in these 'Acts' that are buried somewhere in a tiny paragraph on the 1097th page, yet its so typical and so not surprising. You can never, ever, ever take anything at face value with this administration. There's always, always something being deliberately kept quiet or something given so much spin, its laughable.

Excuse me...but "pork" which is what you refer to as "hidden language in these "Acts'" has been around since the Constitution was written.

Please save the knee-jerk "Bush Bad" stuff for at least when its relevant.

Opinions?

35127[/snapback]

Old hat. When I was in HS in the early '60's (Kennedy and Dem Congress if it matters) that's the way it was. My guidance consulor had USMC posters in his office. :blush:

Excuse me...but "pork" which is what you refer to as "hidden language in these "Acts'" has been around since the Constitution was written.

Please save the knee-jerk "Bush Bad" stuff for at least when its relevant.

35218[/snapback]

With Bush, its always relavent, isn't it? He's just plain 'bad'. I can't even stomach hearing the guy try to talk. He's such a piss-poor excuse for a president. I don't believe that he understands half of what he's talking about in his speeches. He's just a puppet.

I started getting contacted at the end of my junior year. I was still 17 and haven't registered with SS yet. I met with the Marine Recruiter and didn't like what he had to offer me. I tracked down the army recruiter, and he was able to offer me an Airborne contract and an opportunity to go to the Ranger Battalion. I enlisted a week after I turned 18 and the rest is history.

With Bush, its always relavent, isn't it?  He's just plain 'bad'.  I can't even stomach hearing the guy try to talk.  He's such a piss-poor excuse for a president.  I don't believe that he understands half of what he's talking about in his speeches.  He's just a puppet.

35305[/snapback]

Tracy, you'd better watch what you say around here; surprising that as Democrat-heavy that NY is, we seem to have ALL of the far-right Republicans as Bills fans. I myself don't mosey in here often b/c I hate when people automatically say 'You don't know what you're talking about' when they disagree with your logical argument. Kudos to you for fighting the good fight.

Myself, I faced recruitment coming out of high school b/c I took a year off before entering college that I had to borrow heavily to even think about (scholarships came later, thankfully). Both of my brothers are in the military, and I learned from their experience that I don't plan on joining up in a place where even when an order is stupid beyond compare you have salute and do it. This stupidity has increased exponentially w/ Dubya and Rummy. When I took a leave of absence for a medical issue, Guard recruiters started calling me again. I went the education route and graduated summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa.

Einstein was a pacifist. I don't agree entirely with that, but it helps to know that the smartest person to ever live in this world was closer to the Dem. viewpoint than the pre-emption doctrine that if this guy is back in the White House, other countries are going to give us a taste of, b/c what do they have to lose?

Tracy, you'd better watch what you say around here; surprising that as Democrat-heavy that NY is, we seem to have ALL of the far-right Republicans as Bills fans. I myself don't mosey in here often b/c I hate when people automatically say 'You don't know what you're talking about' when they disagree with your logical argument. Kudos to you for fighting the good fight.

Myself, I faced recruitment coming out of high school b/c I took a year off before entering college that I had to borrow heavily to even think about (scholarships came later, thankfully). Both of my brothers are in the military, and I learned from their experience that I don't plan on joining up in a place where even when an order is stupid beyond compare you have salute and do it. This stupidity has increased exponentially w/ Dubya and Rummy. When I took a leave of absence for a medical issue, Guard recruiters started calling me again. I went the education route and graduated summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa.

Einstein was a pacifist. I don't agree entirely with that, but it helps to know that the smartest person to ever live in this world was closer to the Dem. viewpoint than the pre-emption doctrine that if this guy is back in the White House, other countries are going to give us a taste of, b/c what do they have to lose?

35552[/snapback]

What exactly is the Democratic "viewpoint?"

35552[/snapback]

Steven Hawkings and DC Tom might have something to say about who the smartest was.

What exactly is the Democratic "viewpoint?"

Complain a lot. Dont offer solutions. Let Europe B word-slap us. Raise taxes.

And James....Tracy was "fighting the good fight" by blaming BUSH for the concept of "pork" being attached to legislation? You just gave a PERFECT examply of why there are few good people who lean left here. Maybe if some lefties came around here who had a clue, they wouldnt all run away and hide all the time.

35552[/snapback]

Yeah. Einstein was a pacifist...who pushed for the creation of the most powerful weapon ever developed. Only Democratic viewpoint he embodied was hypocracy.

And I can name an easy ten physicists (never mind other people) off the top of my head who were smarter than him: Feynman, Gell-Man, Schwinger, Onsager, Bethe, Dirac, Heisenberg, Lorentz, Maxwell, and Pauli.

Note the lack of Hawkings in my list.

"Popular" does not mean "smart".  Just like Carl Sagan was a mediocre astronomer...

35567[/snapback]

Actually Einstein was about 160. Hawkings was over 200, but don't remember what. The highest ever recorded the the lady who does the brain teaser in the paper. Moro Savantoi or something like that.

Anyone who has read anything on Einstein knows that while smart, he was purely gifted with the ability to categorize things in his brain. Almost ADHD like. He simply took detailed notes, and could never remember what he wrote but rather where he wrote what he wanted.