"the ineptitude of this government"

TPS

"If there is a nuclear terrorist attack or a major pandemic ... you are going to see the ineptitude of this government in a way that'll take you back to the declaration of independence."

From the interview with Larry Wilkerson, former chief of staff to Colin Powell.

This reminds of something I've been reading and thinking about, how poorly this administration has reacted to 911, and ensuring that it doesn't happen again. It seems almost every appointment made in every department is some political hack who gave the right amount of money, and passed their political Litmus test. This is the last I want for the department of Homeland Security. About the most efficient thing this administration has done is to make sure the billions of dollars allocated to boost and improve security goes to their constituents. Katrina provided another test/opportunity for this administration to show how they've improved our security and response to disasters, and I can't say they passed the test.

These guys are a joke; and unfortunately, the American people are the butt of it... :rolleyes:

"If there is a nuclear terrorist attack or a major pandemic ... you are going to see the ineptitude of this government in a way that'll take you back to the declaration of independence."

This reminds of something I've been reading and thinking about, how poorly this administration has reacted to 911, and ensuring that it doesn't happen again.  It seems almost every appointment made in every department is some political hack who gave the right amount of money, and passed their political Litmus test.  This is the last I want for the department of Homeland Security.  About the most efficient thing this administration has done is to make sure the billions of dollars allocated to boost and improve security goes to their constituents.  Katrina provided another test/opportunity for this administration to show how they've improved our security and response to disasters, and I can't say they passed the test. 

These guys are a joke; and unfortunately, the American people are the butt of it... :rolleyes:

481969[/snapback]

There is a major difference between "Government" and "This Administration".

Is our government inept? sure...but not for the reasons you give.

Until a "911" type event happens again I am not sure how you can complain about what the current administration has done to prevent another one from happening.

Oh. Since that's the way it is,

Can I go home now?

482012[/snapback]

You have been wasting your time. Take the rest of the year off. Hell, you need to wait until Bush leaves office before you return to work. Enjoy your vacation.

Can I still get paid?

482023[/snapback]

Of course. In fact, you should get a raise. Remember, problems are solved by spending money. If the problem does not get better, it is obviously because we are not spending enough money. You have been completely ineffectual in your job, as evidenced by TPS' post, so the only remedy is to give you a raise. Spend more money and the problem will go away.

Of course. In fact, you should get a raise. Remember, problems are solved by spending money. If the problem does not get better, it is obviously because we are not spending enough money. You have been completely ineffectual in your job, as evidenced by TPS' post, so the only remedy is to give you a raise. Spend more money and the problem will go away.

482025[/snapback]

Works for me.

There is a major difference between "Government" and "This Administration".

Is our government inept?  sure...but not for the reasons you give.

Until a "911" type event happens again I am not sure how you can complain about what the current administration has done to prevent another one from happening.

481976[/snapback]

Katrina was a good example of the ineptitude of "this government." He didn't say "the government," it was THIS GOVERNMENT. These people are more concerned that you pass their political test than be competent--and I'm talking about the appointees who "manage" the departments, not the folks who actually do the work. Here's a little snippet for you:

After dinner please!

No, just a sleazy government contractor.

Sometimes referred to as slimy government contractor.

482045[/snapback]

Speaking of which, I got a call a couple of weeks ago from a guy in the federal government (as he took pains to inform me) who'd received a fax sent erroneously to his office from our HQ. My name was listed as "client" and he took the trouble to track me down and call me. He joked about "this is your government at work" and all I could do was to express my thanks and the hope that seeking me out to let me know that my marketing collateral was safe in his hands didn't distract him from monitoring evildoers or whatever he did.

He assured me that he was "only" a contractor and that he would shred my collateral (which is intended to be distributed publicly) immediately.

But, his heart was in the right place....

This reminds of something I've been reading and thinking about, how poorly this administration has reacted to 911, and ensuring that it doesn't happen again.  It seems almost every appointment made in every department is some political hack who gave the right amount of money, and passed their political Litmus test.  This is the last I want for the department of Homeland Security.  About the most efficient thing this administration has done is to make sure the billions of dollars allocated to boost and improve security goes to their constituents.  Katrina provided another test/opportunity for this administration to show how they've improved our security and response to disasters, and I can't say they passed the test. 

481969[/snapback]

How is this any different from previous governments? Do you really think Bush (we call him 'the chimp' at work) is the first politician to actually appoint his buddies or party members to major positions?

How is this any different from previous governments? Do you really think Bush (we call him 'the chimp' at work) is the first politician to actually appoint his buddies or party members to major positions?

482112[/snapback]

History started January of 2001. Once you realize that, you will blend in with the lefties here.

Either that, or go with the tried and true Mickey-ism, "yeah, Dems do it but Republicans are worse."

Speaking of which, I got a call a couple of weeks ago from a guy in the federal government (as he took pains to inform me) who'd received a fax sent erroneously to his office from our HQ.  My name was listed as "client" and he took the trouble to track me down and call me.  He joked about "this is your government at work" and all I could do was to express my thanks and the hope that seeking me out to let me know that my marketing collateral was safe in his hands didn't distract him from monitoring evildoers or whatever he did.

He assured me that he was "only" a contractor and that he would shred my collateral (which is intended to be distributed publicly) immediately.

But, his heart was in the right place....

482100[/snapback]

I certainly take offense at the "only". Anything that actually gets done right, we do. Contractors rule! Especially with the kind of contract (A & AS) that I work under. We don't even have to PRODUCE anything. Is this a great country or what?

He must also be terribly bored, unless he's local and is just feeling you out.

482112[/snapback]

Yes. Bush is the first. Bush is the first for everything. All mistakes and problems are his fault. Until 2001, the government was a well-oiled, HONEST, forthright, caring, efficient entity which held the welfare of the consituency in highest regard and make their interests paramount, espeically over Corporations, lobby groups, and foreign countries. And there is NO DOUBT that if John Kerry was elected, it would return to those heady days, probably within a week of his inauguration.

482112[/snapback]

That would have been Andrew Jackson and his infamous Spoils System. Did I win somethin'?

I don't care if a sitting president appoints nothing but frat buddies to posts - provided they're qualified and competent.

History started January of 2001. Once you realize that, you will blend in with the lefties here.

Either that, or go with the tried and true Mickey-ism, "yeah, Dems do it but Republicans are worse."

482120[/snapback]

hey, you callin me a leftie????? :rolleyes:

482112[/snapback]

No, but I think it's been taken to a more extreme level these guys. I recently read an article with a list of long-time government professionals who have resigned from various departments because of this increased degree of partisan political appointees, and the ineptitude of these appointees.

As for KRC's comment, read a few more threads here and see who has responded with "but Clinton/Dems were worse." In fact, all you need to do is read the second response in the "Plamegate" thread....

As I've said many times, many of the right-wingers on this board act just like some of the Clinton supporters did here prior to Bush--"My man can do no wrong." You end up saying the darndest things when you constantly defend these idiots--politicians, although it could apply to you righties.... :rolleyes: