Bills use Sape's Samoan war chants

[/i]

From the Buffalo News:

The Bills are getting some help from an old Samoan folk custom these days.

After the team finishes its stretching at the start of every practice, strength and conditioning coach Brad Roll calls a player to the middle of the field to lead the team in one last calisthenic, usually three jumping jacks.

One day each of the past several weeks he has called up defensive tackle Lauvale Sape, who has led the team in a chant from his homeland. Sape was born in Samoa and moved to Hawaii when he was 12. The players like it so much they have done it in the locker room after the past two wins.

"It's something my people used to intimidate others," Sape said. "It's to bring the spirits around each other. It's more like a war dance. I've done it since I was young. It happens in our villages and community. Guys like it. It brings out a little spirit."

"I'm waiting for him to do a Samoan rain dance or something like that," said running back Shaud Williams.

---

Try to tell me it wouldn't be the COOLEST thing ever to hear 70,000+ Bills fans screaming out a Samoan war chant while on D. Sape would be totally pumped, and so would the rest of the unit. The offensive players wouldn't be able to hear the signals, and if they started laughing, Sape would kick their asses.

If someone gets the words to the chant on this board, we can get this started.

[/i]

From the Buffalo News:

The Bills are getting some help from an old Samoan folk custom these days.

After the team finishes its stretching at the start of every practice, strength and conditioning coach Brad Roll calls a player to the middle of the field to lead the team in one last calisthenic, usually three jumping jacks.

One day each of the past several weeks he has called up defensive tackle Lauvale Sape, who has led the team in a chant from his homeland. Sape was born in Samoa and moved to Hawaii when he was 12. The players like it so much they have done it in the locker room after the past two wins.

"It's something my people used to intimidate others," Sape said. "It's to bring the spirits around each other. It's more like a war dance. I've done it since I was young. It happens in our villages and community. Guys like it. It brings out a little spirit."

"I'm waiting for him to do a Samoan rain dance or something like that," said running back Shaud Williams.

---

Try to tell me it wouldn't be the COOLEST thing ever to hear 70,000+ Bills fans screaming out a Samoan war chant while on D.  Sape would be totally pumped, and so would the rest of the unit.  The offensive players wouldn't be able to hear the signals, and if they started laughing, Sape would kick their asses.

If someone gets the words to the chant on this board, we can get this started.

481809[/snapback]

I bet Drew Hensen would never start a chant like this. THANK GOD WE PASSED ON DREW.... You sound surprised with the Sapesters leadership skills. The man is destined to make the Hall of fame..

The players like it so much they have done it in the locker room after the past two wins.

Shouldn't they do it then BEFORE the game?...