HD Broadcasts observations

SouthernMan

Venting.

I just checked this week's HD DTV schedule, and again, no Bills.

I was hoping the Bills might be shown in High Def for at least half of the games this year. Including the upcoming game in Oakland, they'll have had only 2 out of 7 games shown in the high def format.

After getting my nice big LCD Sony high def TV, I bought the Directv Superfan package with the primary thrust being to see the Bills in high def.

Eight games (½ the season) after next weeks Pats game, and the only high def game I've gotten for my money was the Dolphins game. The Patriots (ESPN game) and Falcons (locally shown on FOX affiliate) were not included in the Superfan package.

The NFC (all away games on FOX) have an advantage as they show almost all of their games in high def.

Jacksonville, Tennesee, Baltimore, Houston, and Buffalo (all AFC/CBS) are the only teams to not have more than 2 games shown in high def.

NE, Atl, Dall, Green Bay, NYG, Phil, SF, & Wash - So far, EVERY game in high def.

KC, Pitt, Detroit, Minn, Tampa Bay, Den, San Diego - ALL BUT ONE game in high def

Miami, Oakland, AZ, Carolina, Chicago, NO, Seattle, Stl - all but 2 games in HD

Cleveland, Cincy, Indy, and Jets, - all but 3.

Conclusion:

Except for the Jets and Houston, the teams seeing the least amount of HD time are the smaller market teams. Even Indy, who wouldn't be a bad bet for a Superbowl berth, haven't gotten as much attention from the HD schedulers.

The NFL generates a shtload of revenue. I hope they'll have some input and influence with the networks next season, and get ALL games shown in high def.

It blows that I have to choose between watching games on my JVC 36" CRT television (still a decent picture), or settle for watching on my new TV with a distorted picture and less than sharp picture.

Well, that's my rant.

(and we wonder why the rest of the world hates us) :ph34r:

Venting.

I just checked this week's HD DTV schedule, and again, no Bills.

I was hoping the Bills might be shown in High Def for at least half of the games this year.  Including the upcoming game in Oakland, they'll have had only 2 out of 7 games shown in the high def format.

After getting my nice big LCD Sony high def TV, I bought the Directv Superfan package with the primary thrust being to see the Bills in high def.

Eight games (½ the season) after next weeks Pats game, and the only high def game I've gotten for my money was the Dolphins game. The Patriots (ESPN game) and Falcons (locally shown on FOX affiliate) were not included in the Superfan package. 

The NFC (all away games on FOX) have an advantage as they show almost all of their games in high def.

Jacksonville, Tennesee, Baltimore, Houston, and Buffalo (all AFC/CBS) are the only teams to not have more than 2 games shown in high def.

NE, Atl, Dall, Green Bay, NYG, Phil, SF, & Wash - So far, EVERY game in high def.

KC, Pitt, Detroit, Minn, Tampa Bay, Den, San Diego - ALL BUT ONE game in high def

Miami, Oakland, AZ, Carolina, Chicago, NO, Seattle, Stl - all but 2 games in HD

Cleveland, Cincy, Indy, and Jets, - all but 3.

Conclusion:

Except for the Jets and Houston, the teams seeing the least amount of HD time are the smaller market teams. Even Indy, who wouldn't be a bad bet for a Superbowl berth, haven't gotten as much attention from the HD schedulers.

The NFL generates a shtload of revenue. I hope they'll have some input and influence with the networks next season, and get ALL games shown in high def.

It blows that I have to choose between watching games on my JVC 36" CRT television (still a decent picture), or settle for watching on my new TV with a distorted picture and less than sharp picture.

Well, that's my rant.

(and we wonder why the rest of the world hates us)  :rolleyes:

481127[/snapback]

Preaching to the choir, brother. BTW, if you paid for the superfan, call and B word at D*, they will credit the cost

Actually, Fox shows ALL of their games in HD :rolleyes:

It does suck, but it's entirely CBS' fault. I'd recommend calling DirecTV and explain to them that you're not getting a lot of use out of Superfan. They should give it to you for free (or at the very least, $49). You have a legit complaint.

CW

Actually, Fox shows ALL of their games in HD ;)

It does suck, but it's entirely CBS' fault.  I'd recommend calling DirecTV and explain to them that you're not getting a lot of use out of Superfan.  They should give it to you for free (or at the very least, $49).  You have a legit complaint.

CW

481613[/snapback]

You guys pay extra for HD? :rolleyes:

i have a 53 inch Toshiba HD tv. The problem is I have regular cable, does this mean that i do not get the high definition, i have no idea how this sh-- works, people talk about high definition like it changes the game, ive watched hockey, football and soccer games on little tvs and could care less about hte picture quality but what makes high def so good? I heard a guy say that his life changed when he watched a game in High Def.. wtf is so amazing about it that has to make me pay 3-400 $ more for a receiver?

Being single and having extra money lying around (both have since changed) I splurged and got a nice HD tv and signed up for VOOM HD satallite service (r.i.p).

Basically I don't like television.

But there is no other way to put it: HD is incredible. I hate watching anything that isn't in HD now. I've gotten so spoiled. Discovery HD, Equator channel, and ESPN HD etc.

It's a totally different experience than watching ordinary tv. It's that good.

i have a 53 inch Toshiba HD tv.  The problem is I have regular cable, does this mean that i do not get the high definition, i have no idea how this sh-- works, people talk about high definition like it changes the game, ive watched hockey, football and soccer games on little tvs and could care less about hte picture quality but what makes high def so good? I heard a guy say that his life changed when he watched a game in High Def.. wtf is so amazing about it that has to make me pay 3-400 $ more for a receiver?

481647[/snapback]

My wife's a big hockey fan. I recorded some of a game in HD and showed it to her. She said, "It's like we're right in the stands, in the good seats!"

That said, if I could only choose between HD or TiVo (DVR), I'd choose the DVR. We had a non-TiVo HD receiver a couple of years ago, and while it was great for the Superbowl (only thing we really watched on it), we couldn't stand having to watch shows when they were being aired, so we went back to the TiVo. (now we have the best of both worlds - the HDTiVo :rolleyes: ).

CW

FoxHD has a much better picture on my set than CBS-HD..........

481612[/snapback]

I suspect you have something improperly hooked up. CBS HD is much clearer the FOX HD. CBS broadcasts in 1080 and Fox broadcasts in 720 Unfortunately there are only 3 CBS HD games a week.

i have a 53 inch Toshiba HD tv.  The problem is I have regular cable, does this mean that i do not get the high definition, i have no idea how this sh-- works, people talk about high definition like it changes the game, ive watched hockey, football and soccer games on little tvs and could care less about hte picture quality but what makes high def so good? I heard a guy say that his life changed when he watched a game in High Def.. wtf is so amazing about it that has to make me pay 3-400 $ more for a receiver?

481647[/snapback]

You do not get HD without the receiver. the difference between the two is the difference b/w a new LCD computer monitor compared to the computer monitors of the early 90's. Its super clear, you can see the blades of grass on the field. More Dots per inch.

481647[/snapback]

Not sure how to respond to this, but I'll try.

You need to see if your cable company is sending you any hi-def channels first or you're wasting your time with the rest of this. If you are getting hi-def channels, and if you have a hi-def TV, you may need the right cable to get the hi-def feed to the TV. It'll probably require either a DVI cable or HDMI. If your cable box is a DVI but your TV is HDMI, you can get an HDMI to DVI cable as easily as at Radio Shack or Circuit City, but depending on the length they can get to about $60-$80. That's how I get it off satellite, anyway. No idea if you even get a box with cable anymore. If you do, look for the "TV Out" options on the back of their box, and see if there is any other way out of that box beyond the coax to the TV.

While it's not life-changing (like TIVO), it is by far the most incredible picture you will ever see. The highest resolution you can imagine. You don't see a green field, you see individual blades of grass. You don't see a player, you see pores on their face and the stray facial hair that didn't get caught by the razor. You don't see Paul McGuire. You see The Great Pumpkin.

You also see a wider image in a different aspect ratio that captures so much more of the plays it'll bring a tear to your eye.

It's stunning. Go find a place that shows it...by now one of your friends has it, or family friends, etc. Just ask around...someone has it. Check it out and get back here and tell me you can't live without it.

Actually, Fox shows ALL of their games in HD :rolleyes:

481613[/snapback]

According to the Directv schedule, the Oct 16 Vikings/Bears (NFC/FOX) game was not on one of their HD channels. May be a misprint, I don't know.

http://www.directvsports.com/Schedules/Pac...FLSundayTicket/

Per Justman's post:

"fox and abc are progressive (better for fast moving sports), cbs interlaced. I find fox & abc better than cbs - nothing to do with hookup ".

-Absolutely right. The 720 DPI progressive scan(used by FOX sports) is (in my view) a better picture than the 1080 DPI interlaced used by CBS.

CBS is a big dissapointment. They went out of their way to out-bid NBC and others for the NFL rights, but don't give it the same level of technical support that FOX does. CBS has something like a 50 year head start on FOX, and still can't get with the program.

For some, HD might not be a big deal. To me, it's like the difference between a fuzzy old polaroid picture taken at grandma's Thanksgiving table or a professional crisp clear portrait taken with a very expensive lens. To some, the Polaroid is just fine. You still get the overall feel.

What's odd is that my wife, who's very detail oriented, hardly cares that much if it has HD picture or 7.1 surround. She's just as content with the standard old stereo or mono sound and standard analog picture from the old TV. Optimum experience for viewing is typically more of a guy thing.

BTW - that CBS eye logo still freaks me out.