Anybody scared of Lamont Jordan?

With Randy hardly playing in the final 3 quarters this past Sunday against the Chargers, there is reason to believe that even if he does suit up against the Bills, he will be far from 100%.

Therefore, the Bills will be able to stick Clements on Jerry Porter, and have the rest of the defense key on Lamont Jordan. I was very excited when the Jets traded him in the offseason. He was a horse when he would spell Curtis Martin, and I think he was the Jets future. But with CM winning the rushing title last year, and being the greatest back in Jets history, there was no way the team could send him packing (even if it may have been the smart thing to do long-term.)

Does anyone see the Bills having trouble stopping Jordan? Obviously, they have had trouble stopping every RB this year. Any predictions on Jordan's stats?

Like usual, both RB's will be the key. This past Sunday, all 14 teams who won had more rushing attempts than their opponents. When you're winning, you're rushing...

With Randy hardly playing in the final 3 quarters this past Sunday against the Chargers, there is reason to believe that even if he does suit up against the Bills, he will be far from 100%.

Therefore, the Bills will be able to stick Clements on Jerry Porter, and have the rest of the defense key on Lamont Jordan.  I was very excited when the Jets traded him in the offseason.  He was a horse when he would spell Curtis Martin, and I think he was the Jets future.  But with CM winning the rushing title last year, and being the greatest back in Jets history, there was no way the team could send him packing (even if it may have been the smart thing to do long-term.) 

Does anyone see the Bills having trouble stopping Jordan?  Obviously, they have had trouble stopping every RB this year.  Any predictions on Jordan's stats?

Like usual, both RB's will be the key.  This past Sunday, all 14 teams who won had more rushing attempts than their opponents.  When you're winning, you're rushing...

480393[/snapback]

Based on what I've seen so for out of the Bills D, I'd give LJ 150 yards. Although, I don't feel they should be scared of him. :D

No more than I was afraid of Curtis Martin. A good friend of mine...a longtime Jets season ticket holder...says while Jordan is a good back, he's not an every-down back, and by the fourth quarter he doesn't get stronger, but weaker. He's not a horse they can ride with the absence of Moss, and if they do, it'll be a mistake of Norv Turner proportions.

No more than I was afraid of Curtis Martin. A good friend of mine...a longtime Jets season ticket holder...says while Jordan is a good back, he's not an every-down back, and by the fourth quarter he doesn't get stronger, but weaker. He's not a horse they can ride with the absence of Moss, and if they do, it'll be a mistake of Norv Turner proportions.

480430[/snapback]

DING DING DING!! While living in New Jersey I've gotten to see a lot of Lamont Jordan, at least when Herm decided to use him which was pretty infrequently to say the least. Jordan while he did a good job spelling martin, never struck me as a back who can handle a full load for a 16 game schedule. I liken him to backs like Troy Hambrick and Kevin Barlow, guys who were good in reserve, but as starters just can't get that extra gear to make them anything more then marginal backs at best.

DING DING DING!!  While living in New Jersey I've gotten to see a lot of Lamont Jordan, at least when Herm decided to use  him which was pretty infrequently to say the least.  Jordan while he did a good job spelling martin, never struck me as a back who can handle a full load for a 16 game schedule.  I liken him to backs like Troy Hambrick and Kevin Barlow, guys who were good in reserve, but as starters just can't get that extra gear to make them anything more then marginal backs at best.

480449[/snapback]

Sorry, most people won't be able to read past your first line; they'll be looking for their Hot Pockets. :D

CW

DING DING DING!!  While living in New Jersey I've gotten to see a lot of Lamont Jordan, at least when Herm decided to use  him which was pretty infrequently to say the least.  Jordan while he did a good job spelling martin, never struck me as a back who can handle a full load for a 16 game schedule.  I liken him to backs like Troy Hambrick and Kevin Barlow, guys who were good in reserve, but as starters just can't get that extra gear to make them anything more then marginal backs at best.

480449[/snapback]

Checking his YTD (5 games) Raider stats on NFL.com, he's not run a lot, like you say.

for 5 games: 87 carries (ave 17.4) for 310 yards (ave 3.6). They seem to like to pass to him, though - 26/205/7.9 ypc.

480449[/snapback]

I had a similar opinion about Jordan when he landed on the Raider's roster, figuring the Raiders made another error to compound their recent personnel gaffes. But I will say that I saw some of his play this season and he is less one-dimensional as a runner than I thought. It appears to some degree that the switch to full-time for him has brought him a "renewed vigor" when he's running, and he's been more difficult to get two hands on than in the past.

A Road game is tough...

A Road game in Oakland is tougher...

The fact that our Run Defense is very porous seeming this year worries me - especially against Lamont Jordan.

This team can beat anyone if they play well... Trouble is they have been very roller coaster... regardless of the QB. at 3-3 we don't deserve to look past anyone and if they do it'll be a loss for sure.

I think it'll be a close game... But Willis pushes us over the top as long as Holcomb doesn't give the game away with Picks.

Let's keep it "REAL" folks. The Bills run defense has been a sieve the past 5 games. "Less", or "no" touches for Moss means more touches for Jordan. Bills haven't won on the road yet. Believe me, if the Raiders make a solid committment to the run, then the Bills defense is in serious trouble.

Scared? Nah, but I'm rightfully concerned... and hopefully the Bills defense is on the same page.

Let's keep it "REAL" folks.  The Bills run defense has been a sieve the past 5 games.  "Less", or "no" touches for Moss means more touches for Jordan.  Bills haven't won on the road yet.  Believe me, if the Raiders make a solid committment to the run, then the Bills defense is in serious trouble.

So? Let them make a committment to the run. Then the Bills stack the box and force Collins to beat them with Jerry Porter as their only receiving threat.

So?  Let them make a committment to the run.  Then the Bills stack the box and force Collins to beat them with Jerry Porter as their only receiving threat.

480520[/snapback]

Agreed. Our secondary can easily handle the Raiders' receivers without Moss. Let's make sure to stop Jordan, and we should come out of the game with a win.

Agreed.  Our secondary can easily handle the Raiders' receivers without Moss.  Let's make sure to stop Jordan, and we should come out of the game with a win.

480825[/snapback]

I think we finally are in a game...and I hope someone will back me on this...where I'm fairly certain our coaching staff is better than theirs. (And I know, that ain't saying much.) Norv is gonna have to prove to me otherwise cuz I've seen him make a crapload of bad in-game, game-costing coaching errors. I think our coaches' asscheeks are so tightly clenched right now they're just kinda hoping we can pull this off with little fanfare. No gimmicks. No tricks. (Okay, maybe one reverse to Roscoe, but that's all.)

Personally, I think you defend them like we did the Jets. I don't care if Jordon gets 148 yards against us as long as the team as a whole only scores twice. Let McGahee shoulder the load again. We figure to have some turnovers on our side, so focus on getting some from their side...and turning those into points.

Did I see a half-way decent second-half screen last week? I wish to god we could get better at it because it would help our offense dramatically.

I expect this to play just like the Jets game, but at a bit faster pace from a slightly faster team, especially on offense. I'll be eager to see if Jordon gets spelled more later in the game.

This should be a good game. I'm looking forward to it.

On the other hand, I don't know what the !@#$ I'm talking about.

Do the Raiders have a good O-line?  I thought I heard that they will be without their center and have shifted a starter from OG to his spot, playing a backup in HIS place.

480503[/snapback]

Raiders have started Barry Sims - Langston Walker - Jake Grove - Ron Stone - Robert Gallery in all five games this season; Walker is the only change from last year's line, which had Frank ($&*!ing) Middleton at LG. Grove is injured, but his backup at C, Adam Treu, was last year's starting C. I'm not expecting much of a dropoff.

P.S. - Good read, LABillz.

The Raiders offensive numbers are very similar to that of the Jets. They're 31st in passing, 6th in rushing. With or without Moss, they haven't been getting it done in the air all season, and their running game has been moving the chains.

Hopefully Collins doesn't catch on fire this week because I like our chances if we don't have to respect their passing game.

Another thread made reference to the run-stopping ability of their D. Their D has been nothing more than speedbump for many teams - they're ranked 22nd against the run, 28th against the pass.

Somewhat backwards for a D on a losing team IMO. Generally a 1-4 team will give up more yards on the ground because opponents try to burn clock, but the Raiders D is something of an enigma in that respect.

The Raiders offensive numbers are very similar to that of the Jets.  They're 31st in passing, 6th  in rushing.  With or without Moss, they haven't been getting it done in the air all season, and their running game has been moving the chains.

Hopefully Collins doesn't catch on fire this week because I like our chances if we don't have to respect their passing game.

Another thread made reference to the run-stopping ability of their D.  Their D has been nothing more than speedbump for many teams - they're ranked 22nd against the run, 28th against the pass. 

Somewhat backwards for a D on a losing team IMO.  Generally a 1-4 team will give up more yards on the ground because opponents try to burn clock, but the Raiders D is something of an enigma in that respect.

480909[/snapback]

Most 1-4 teams don't have Sapp and Mt. Washington clogging up the middle; that might have something to do with it. Plus, I know SD jumped on 'em last week, but I think they've been competitive in most of their games this season - that would cut down on clock-burning time...