O.J.

"I remember you...you were in those rental car commercials!  Listen...have you seen Thurman Thomas anywhere?  I'm trying to get his autograph..."

478251[/snapback]

or...

"Hey OJ, do you think Mcgahee has a chance to pass Thurman Thomas as Buffalo's All-Time greatest running back?"

In a manner of speaking.

As some of you may know, aside from writing for the Reporter I own a tourism business in Niagara Falls. One of my biggest accounts is at one of the top-end hotels in N.F., Ontario. I spend the bulk of my time during the tourism season there.

For the past 8 days O.J. was a guest at this hotel. He checked out before yesterday's game. Watching him over this period of time was pretty surreal. He spent at least 2-3 hours per day in the lobby bar basically just holding court. He signed autographs for guests and staff alike.

O.J. seemed to live for the attention. He's no shrinking violet that’s for sure. He would carry on long and detailed conversations with just about anyone that recognized him.

For the record, I didn't speak to him once during his stay. I can't tell you why exactly. I respect the judicial system - even when I disagree with the verdict - and don't begrudge him his freedom. Still, I felt it inappropriate to fawn over him - as many staff members did - and I just didn't feel I had anything compelling to say to him. (When's the last time you heard someone from the media say that?)

I'm just wondering, if you found yourself in my shoes this past week, what would you have done?

477957[/snapback]

i would have taken off running the other way whenever i saw him like a scared rabbit

In a manner of speaking.

As some of you may know, aside from writing for the Reporter I own a tourism business in Niagara Falls. One of my biggest accounts is at one of the top-end hotels in N.F., Ontario. I spend the bulk of my time during the tourism season there.

For the past 8 days O.J. was a guest at this hotel. He checked out before yesterday's game. Watching him over this period of time was pretty surreal. He spent at least 2-3 hours per day in the lobby bar basically just holding court. He signed autographs for guests and staff alike.

O.J. seemed to live for the attention. He's no shrinking violet that’s for sure. He would carry on long and detailed conversations with just about anyone that recognized him.

For the record, I didn't speak to him once during his stay. I can't tell you why exactly. I respect the judicial system - even when I disagree with the verdict - and don't begrudge him his freedom. Still, I felt it inappropriate to fawn over him - as many staff members did - and I just didn't feel I had anything compelling to say to him. (When's the last time you heard someone from the media say that?)

I'm just wondering, if you found yourself in my shoes this past week, what would you have done?

477957[/snapback]

Would've given him a hateful look or asked him how his private investigation into his wife's murder is going.

In a manner of speaking.

477957[/snapback]

I would have asked him what he thought about the Bills, then yell MURDERER!!!! and run away.

In your shoes, perhaps I might have had some pithy statements running through my head. In reality, though, I don't think I would have had the stomach to say a single thing to the man.

I think you did the right thing. I doubt he would be open to any meaningful interviews that you could have used as a reporter and you avoided giving him the attention he apparently desperately craves.

In a manner of speaking.

477957[/snapback]

I would have done just like you. I would have stayed away from the unstable freak.