Why can't we ever sign guys to extensions?

duey

Jeromy Shockey just signed a mega-extension with the Giants.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArMf...ov=ap&type=lgns

Can someone please tell me why we can't ever do something like this? IMHO, Nate is as important to the Bills as Shockey is to the Giants. You know that if we don't get a new contract done during the season, he's as good as gone.

This is seriously pissing me off. He is one of our leaders on D, and there just doesn't seem to be any hurry on the part of the Bills to keep him here. :)

Can someone please tell me why we can't ever do something like this?  IMHO, Nate is as important to the Bills as Shockey is to the Giants.  You know that if we don't get a new contract done during the season, he's as good as gone.

This is seriously pissing me off.  He is one of our leaders on D, and there just doesn't seem to be any hurry on the part of the Bills to keep him here.  :)

474849[/snapback]

We did....sign Schoebel to an extension last year.....

This year we have not been able to do it with Clements or McGee...

Plus there is no other rising star on the horizon whom we would like to lock

up early...Other than McGahee.....At the end of this year McGahee will be

re-signed to a contract extension....(Otherwise he will be a camp holdout).

You really think this is a bad thing? Why would anyone want Shockey at that price? The guy is always hurt, complains a ton, and is inconsistent when he's on the field (drops passes at key points in key games). He had one good year - his first one. That's exactly the kind of player you DON'T want to lock up long-term.

Can someone please tell me why we can't ever do something like this?  IMHO, Nate is as important to the Bills as Shockey is to the Giants.  You know that if we don't get a new contract done during the season, he's as good as gone.

This is seriously pissing me off.  He is one of our leaders on D, and there just doesn't seem to be any hurry on the part of the Bills to keep him here.  :)

474849[/snapback]

Shockey's contract seems very reasonable (5 years, 31 million w/ a 3 million signing bonus).

Clements wants somewhere around 9 million a year w/ a 10 million signing bonus (this is the going rate for the top cornerback which is what Nate's said he's looking for).

I don't blame the Bills for shying away from those numbers considering the massive rebuilding job needed on the offensive line. The Bills are too late in the extention game with Nate, they should have done this two years into his first contract. They should now try to concentrate on trying to sign McGahee and Evans long term. They need to learn from their mistakes.

We did....sign Schoebel to an extension last year.....

This year we have not been able to do it with Clements or McGee...

Plus there is no other rising star on the horizon whom we would like to lock

up early...Other than McGahee.....At the end of this year McGahee will be

re-signed to a contract extension....(Otherwise he will be a camp holdout).

474852[/snapback]

I think McGee is worth keeping as is Mcgahee but Clements wants to much money for a corner but to ask why we let players go you need to ask TD that question he knows how to build a winning team :)

Can someone please tell me why we can't ever do something like this? 

474849[/snapback]

Don't expect it to improve anytime soon. We've become the Bengals of the AFC. Remember how many vets wanted out of there; Spikes, Dillon. Few wanted to go there.

Thank you Mr. Donahoe!

Shockey's contract seems very reasonable (5 years, 31 million w/ a 3 million signing bonus).

Clements wants somewhere around 9 million a year w/ a 10 million signing bonus (this is the going rate for the top cornerback which is what Nate's said he's looking for).

I don't blame the Bills for shying away from those numbers considering the massive rebuilding job needed on the offensive line. The Bills are too late in the extention game with Nate, they should have done this two years into his first contract. They should now try to concentrate on trying to sign McGahee and Evans long term. They need to learn from their mistakes.

474867[/snapback]

I see what you are saying. It's an unfortunate situation when we can't keep the better players that we've spent so much time developing.

Duey,

You make a great point. Randy McMichael got a contract extension on 10/07, now Shockey gets his.

The Bills have the ability to get this done and the one key free agent is NC.

Like you I am very upset about this.

Thanks for venting for all of us.

474849[/snapback]