At what point do we HAVE to play JP?

First off, J.P. Losman IS a Buffalo Bills QB and that ALONE buys him my loyalty! However, I, too, have thought that this trial by fire mode now prevelent in this league is "flushing talent down the drain" due to the unyielding pressures that these young guys experience to produce NOW!!! The point has been made about on-the-job training, but does anyone strictly root for development? Obviously the players on the 2005 roster don't! I think that a "clubhouse" movement was underway only two or three games in.... Personally, I sometimes question the motives of certain players, but winning might just be in high demand in this locker room?! If Jonathan Paul runs out on the field for the Bills Sunday, he's my guy... but if it's Kelly, he's the one I'm pulling for at the beginning of the day! It's ALL about team!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yah, be cause one can make career assumptions based on 4 games... :)

473843[/snapback]

What about the guys in training camp? Somebody made some career assumptions in a hurry. Life ain't always fair.

You can't give every player 8 games, 16 games, 2 years, ... You pop him in. Four uninspired-to-bad games. Sit him down, take another look later when it makes sense for the team..

Welcome back to the top!!!!!! Appears the division is up for grabs.....Pat's defensive woes, running game slowed, and injuries ,on top of a tough early schedule.........Jet's, Q.B woes... Dolphins, new coach, and Q.B. questions......Bill's, winning with the backup Q.B...........I only watched the bills play the falcons, and that game was, a little boring.........Sounds like the team is starting to gell now........Afc east battles in october, this is great, knockdown dragout for first,?????????????Holcomb or losman? Right now the division is yours........

IMO JP needs to play at LEAST 8 games this year - preferably more. With any fewer next year starts just like this year.

I like winning as much as any of the rest of you - but JP needs to be in the huddle, making plays not stood watching on the sideline.

Look at the Niners - they're going with Alex Smith NOW - at 1-3, just like the Bills were...

I'm not giving up on the season - but if we are going to have any long-term success or a shot at the title it's going to be with JP at the helm. He needs playing time pure and simple.

If he's not back in in 3 weeks time, we'll be mortgaging next year on his development too.

473699[/snapback]

Nick - You're dean on...we need to know what we have....

Nick - You're dean on...we need to know what we have....

477404[/snapback]

You talk as if JP is finished if he can't learn on the job. He can learn on the bench like many other QBs. We can find out what we have when he's ready to play decent football, it's painfully obvious he's not at that point now.

Holcomb is an actual QB...not one of the league's elite, mind you.  But, I'll put him on par with at least half the starting QBs in the league.

474373[/snapback]

I like this post, because it doesn't automatically pigeonhole Holcomb into the journeyman/quick fix category; as so many people seem to do. Holcomb has been absolutely dominant in some of his games with Cleveland; and with the Bills he has played smart, sound football.

People talk as though Losman's development is more important than Holcomb's, on the assumption that Losman has the bigger upside. How can we be sure this is true? A QB's upside is based on his intelligence, his field awareness, and his heart. Holcomb has shown all three traits; as well as a Kelly-esque coolness under pressure.

I'm tired of the QB roller coaster we've been on ever since Kelly retired. Collins, Hobart, Johnson, Flutie, Bledsoe, and then Losman. Finally we've found a QB who actually looks like a QB; and who--unlike Johnson or Bledsoe--doesn't need a lot of pass protection in order to produce. Unlike Flutie, Holcomb is young enough that we can build around him the next few years. Let Losman be or trade him away, and focus on improving the offensive line and the defense.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The pats just got smashed by the colts and are now 4 and 4, with numerous injuries on defense and a slowed running game...With 8 games left do the bills keep holcomb and make a run for the division, or wing it with jp and prepare him for next year... The afc east is up for grabs????

Yup - Now.... My premise holds true. Playoffs are a mathmatical chance only now... Throw the kid on and hope of a ray of sunshine. Even if it rains, the downpour will have eased off by the end of the season and we go into Sept 06 with Sunshine...

497781[/snapback]

Very poetic, Annie. :devil: