Have a big meeting with the CEO tomorrow

gmac17

got the old "Bob would like you to come to the office tomorrow to meet with him" phone call today.

I have no idea what it's about. My division isn't doing so hot these days, but the product / service I created (and that this company bought from me) is doing very well with a lot of potential for growth.

So here are my theories:

Likelihood:

1) we're shutting down your division and don't need you anymore - 20%

2) we're dropping some of the services from your division, firing your boss but want to keep you - 20%

3) we're shutting down your division but want to keep you and your product - 43%

4) we're shutting down your division but want to keep you in a different capacity - 10%

5) we're keeping your division and your product but you can clean out your desk - 5%

6) Why the hell do you spend 12.5 hours per week on tbd.com? - 2%

I wouldn't exactly be pissed if I got let go - it would allow me to start on my next big thing...

I'll keep you posted...

got the old "Bob would like you to come to the office tomorrow to meet with him" phone call today.

I have no idea what it's about. My division isn't doing so hot these days, but the product / service I created (and that this company bought from me) is doing very well with a lot of potential for growth.

So here are my theories:

Likelihood:

1) we're shutting down your division and don't need you anymore - 20%

2) we're dropping some of the services from your division, firing your boss but want to keep you - 20%

3) we're shutting down your division but want to keep you and your product - 43%

4) we're shutting down your division but want to keep you in a different capacity - 10%

5) we're keeping your division and your product but you can clean out your desk - 5%

6) Why the hell do you spend 12.5 hours per week on tbd.com?  - 2%

I wouldn't exactly be pissed if I got let go - it would allow me to start on my next big thing...

I'll keep you posted...

34348[/snapback]

Good luck Gmac.

7) He wants you to body slam T-bone.

8) He wants you to kick !@#$sbourgh Mike in the balls.

9) He thinks you look like Dan Rather, and wants to fire your ass.

and the number 10 reason is:

you're getting a raise!!!!!!!!

<_<:ph34r:

You forgot:

"We're outsourcing your job to Sri Lanka and as soon as you train your replacement you can hit the highway. And here's three weeks' pay to prove there's no hard feelings."

<Sound of RIO's head exploding>

Hopefully the answer is that they have the next big thing in mind and they want YOU to spearhead it! Think positive. I'm sure it will work out - I'll cross my fingers for you.

"We're outsourcing your job to Sri Lanka and as soon as you train your replacement you can hit the highway. And here's three weeks' pay to prove there's no hard feelings."

wouldn't that be ironic! I couldn't complain if that was the case. Maybe I'd have to switch sides of the aisle.....

As Trump would say "You're fired" (actually layed off...)

A very cordial meeting that was basically "the company is losing money at the moment because of your division, not your product. We're going to sell off the division asap to someone who can do better with it. In the meantime we're laying everyone off..."

I could almost definitely work for whoever buys the division, but don't know when that will be or where. I could also get some people together and try to buy back my piece of the company we sold them originally. Probably won't do that, I've been doing this for 5 years and have had enough of a roller coaster ride (start company, get investors, internet Rosen, almost go out of business, get bought, get layed off....) not sure if I want to start it up again.

Anyway, I'm actually a little excited to be free for a while. I have some side stuff I do that will at least pay the bills and the wife has a good job so I think I'll enjoy myself for a few months since it's probably the last chance before we have kids in a few years......

A very cordial meeting that was basically "the company is losing money at the moment because of your division, not your product. We're going to sell off the division asap to someone who can do better with it. In the meantime we're laying everyone off..."

I could almost definitely work for whoever buys the division, but don't know when that will be or where. I could also get some people together and try to buy back my piece of the company we sold them originally. Probably won't do that, I've been doing this for 5 years and have had enough of a roller coaster ride (start company, get investors, internet Rosen, almost go out of business, get bought, get layed off....) not sure if I want to start it up again.

Anyway, I'm actually a little excited to be free for a while. I have some side stuff I do that will at least pay the bills and the wife has a good job so I think I'll enjoy myself for a few months since it's probably the last chance before we have kids in a few years......

35092[/snapback]

If you have started a company, got backing and sold it, you can do it again. If you choose not to do that, it certainly would be a VERY strong point on your resume.

You have my admiration.

35092[/snapback]

Sorry to hear that gmac. At least you are taking a positive attitude about it. I got laid off once and spent two months chipping golf balls in the front yard...helped by shorted game a lot!

Good luck...keep us posted on what you do next.

Sorry about that. You sound ok but it's still a little nerve-wracking - been there, done that.

But new doors will open to you; take some time to figure out a good plan and then follow it.

You may want to pick up a copy of "Laid off and Loving It'. It's a collection of real-life stories which is sort of inspiring and may give you some ideas. It's paperback, not expensive.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
I though George said the economy was doing great?

As others have stated, you seem to be in relative high spirits. Unfortunately, I suspect that many of the others laid off are not in your situation.

35829[/snapback]

Sometimes it is not about politics, dude. (i.e. US Airways bankruptcy)

I wouldn't have mentioned that here... I don't think it applies.

I though George said the economy was doing great?

As others have stated, you seem to be in relative high spirits. Unfortunately, I suspect that many of the others laid off are not in your situation.

35829[/snapback]

Yeah, every company who cuts jobs does it because of the President of the United States. If there were a Democrat in office, Gmac's company wouldn't be piss poorly managed.

The lahjik displayed on this board is stellar.

Yeah, every company who cuts jobs does it because of the President of the United States.  If there were a Democrat in office, Gmac's company wouldn't be piss poorly managed.

The lahjik displayed on this board is stellar.

35862[/snapback]

Methinks you just insulted Borat (he was managing the division that was performing poorly, right?)

Anyhoo, amazing the difference in attitudes from some of our friends who rail on the joblessness, when we have instances of board members who join the statistical ranks, but chalk it up to being part of the game, and not blaming others for it.

Methinks you just insulted Borat (he was managing the division that was performing poorly, right?)

Anyhoo, amazing the difference in attitudes from some of our friends who rail on the joblessness, when we have instances of board members who join the statistical ranks, but chalk it up to being part of the game, and not blaming others for it.

35867[/snapback]

Those that can do, those that can't B word.

But you're right GG, there are those that feel the government should somehow control the companies, and somehow "force them" to retain people/dead wood even if it isn't profitable.

Those that can do, those that can't B word. 

But you're right GG, there are those that feel the government should somehow control the companies, and somehow "force them" to retain people/dead wood even if it isn't profitable.

35869[/snapback]

The federal government already does that if the person in question is a minority or part of some "protected class".

Apparently the liberals decided that the concepts of freedom shouldn't apply to business (at least outside of Hollywood).

Sorry to hear that. But take it from the expert in job change, only positive things can come from change if you have the right attitude. In the 25 years spent int the restaurant biz I think I had 20 jobs...just the nature of the biz. Everytime I lost a job I got excited about the opportunities that I faced. You appear to have a great attitude and that's the important part. I hope a year from now you're saying: "damn, I wish that fat bastich had laid me off a lot earlier."