FWIW..the pats have given up 136 points

taterhill

The number of injuries that New England has sustained on defense has definitely affected how well the unit has played.

Going into 2004, you'd probably say that the four best players on the NE defense were Law, Harrison, Bruschi, and Seymour. They're all gone. McGinest might be five; he broke his hand yesterday. Vrabel might be six; he was hurt throughout preseason.

Their strategy of acquiring a deep roster of "matchup" type cornerbacks has also not gone as planned since Scott, Gay and Poole can't stay on the field, along with all of their safeties except for Wilson (who has had a poor year so far). They've worked in a defense where they play a linebacker (either Davis or Vrabel) at strong safety to compensate for this, but those two guys aren't quick enough to provide deep help.

I'm pleased with how they've played considering all of these factors - 3-2 considering all the injuries, coaching turnover and the brutal early schedule is pretty terrific.

when/where have I heard this before. nothing like whackin a bee hive. All they need to do is make the playoffs... once they're in, they seem to take care of bidness. Tom Brady is still wondering what a post season loss feels like.

when/where have I heard this before. nothing like whackin a bee hive.  All they need to do is make the playoffs... once they're in, they seem to take care of bidness.  Tom Brady is still wondering what a post season loss feels like.

471868[/snapback]

I bet he will never find out either....

because......

The Pats might never see the post season again!

2 things...monty beisel and chad brown are TERRIBLE in the middle of that defense...out of position, getting blown up my guards, etc.

also, the loss of crennel/weis has affected them more than they are letting them on...i think puhonix said it...they said they'd be fine without bruschi, law, crennel, weis, but not they lose a couple of players and all of a sudden, THATS the reason why they arent as good this season...

The number of injuries that New England has sustained on defense has definitely affected how well the unit has played.

471849[/snapback]

I always find it interesting that injuries can be an excuse for how bad any other team is doing, but never for the Bills. Injuries across the Bills O and D lines have shaken things up, but somehow some still find the GM and coaches at fault.

I always find it interesting that injuries can be an excuse for how bad any other team is doing, but never for the Bills. Injuries across the Bills O and D lines have shaken things up, but somehow some still find the GM and coaches at fault.

471965[/snapback]

Also funny how the Pats fans crow about their Super Bowl run when they had 21 starters on IR (yeah, I know an exaggeration), yet cry injury now...

The bottom line still remains though: if you can't carry a two score lead into the 4th Quarter against the Pats, you are in trouble...

471965[/snapback]

I think that the best way to look at injuries are that they are factual. They do get overused as an excuse, because they inevitably happen to every team, but the opposite can't be true either - the coaches and GM's shouldn't be taken off the hook as soon as someone goes down, because it is their job to see that the position is adequately backed up, that the replacement is coached up properly, etc.

Also funny how the Pats fans crow about their Super Bowl run when they had 21 starters on IR (yeah, I know an exaggeration), yet cry injury now...

471978[/snapback]

Haven't gotten that impression from a lot of fans I know DG - most seem to be in the camp that the team is holding its own considering all that has happened and how tough a schedule they've had. I doubt you'll find anyone credible that thinks the Patriot defense is playing anything close to well - they miss those veterans for sure. They've only gotten one turnover out of the secondary so far. The middle linebacking has been atrocious. As the Tuna would say, it is what it is.

Part of my enjoyment out of watching the team is the knowledge that with Belichick in charge, they're always going to be well coached and well managed and therefore very dangerous to make a run. That should be plenty for any fan, and it's more than enough for me. Fans who expect to win it all every year are living in a delusional world.

I bet he will never find out either....

because......

The Pats might never see the post season again!

471927[/snapback]

That might not be true...except that there is no team in the AFC East to

challenge them...Even if they go 8-8 they will win the East....

So far the Colts, Steel;ers and the Bengals have looked good with

SD, KC and Jax not far behind....

One of those 6 (most probably KC) will be shut out from the playoffs...

This is the year for Manning and the Colts to secure home-field advantage

and go to the superbowl....

The steelers haven't played anyone yet...and they lost the only meaningful

game they have played....

The bottom line still remains though: if you can't carry a two score lead into the 4th Quarter against the Pats, you are in trouble...

471978[/snapback]

That game indirectly exposed our team.....We couldn't control that team

in any ways and look at how the Pats handled them in Atlantas own backyard

The offense is very high powered still, YAC can do wonders for a QB. But that defense is suspect. I think any strong D team with a decent O can beat them. Lets see, where is there a top Defense with a strong O to match... Hmmm, Peyton, where are you? Your turn to beat the Pats is up.

they can be beaten this year..amazing the difference a week makes...we are right back in the think of it now, with some very winnable games on the horizon

471651[/snapback]

We Might win next week. After that, we're going to get spanked, our team is terrible, our coaching is worse. This year is a wash, dont fool yourself.

That game indirectly exposed our team.....We couldn't control that team

in any ways and look at how the Pats handled them in Atlantas own backyard

472103[/snapback]

Do you mean the way they made Matt Schaub look like Peyton Manning?

Is Hollywood Douchebag okay?  Usually any post about the Pats draws him like flies to a fresh steaming dogpile.

PTR

472113[/snapback]

Utterly unnecessary comment there. HD interacts in a perfectly normal way with everyone here, except he's a Pats fan, so naturally he tends to comment in threads that involve that team (of which there are many on this site). He doesn't deserve that type of scorn from you.

It's too bad they don't give points for how far backwards your quarterback can throw the ball out of bounds while you're in field goal range. And it's too bad they don't give points for how many predictable plays a group of coaches can make during a game. Or for the number of times a team can blitz another team and give up countless 20-plus-yard plays in a game.

If they gave points for that, we'd probably be putting up 136 points PER GAME! And we'd kick people's asses.

Utterly unnecessary comment there. HD interacts in a perfectly normal way with everyone here, except he's a Pats fan, so naturally he tends to comment in threads that involve that team (of which there are many on this site). He doesn't deserve that type of scorn from you.

472127[/snapback]

I retract my vulgar reference to Mr. HD. :rolleyes:

PTR