A win is a win is a win

DeeRay

But... How good are the fins? Still hard to gauge the Bills progress and prognosis for a shot at the playoffs.

Impressed, in that we got the win.

Depressed, in that our offense averaged only 4.9 yards per play and the Fins offense averaged 7.8 yards per play. Yeah... that means our 5 turnover great defense got shredded again by an average offense... in our own house.

I'm still waitng for that "SMASHMOUTH" offense to somehow manifest itself. 36 running plays for 99 yards... 2.75 yards/carry. Men... we gots lots of work to do. I'm afraid we're in for a long season.

But... How good are the fins? Still hard to gauge the Bills progress and prognosis for a shot at the playoffs.

Impressed, in that we got the win.

Depressed, in that our offense averaged only 4.9 yards per play and the Fins offense averaged 7.8 yards per play.  Yeah... that means our 5 turnover great defense got shredded again by an average offense... in our own house. 

I'm still waitng for that "SMASHMOUTH" offense to somehow manifest itself.  36 running plays for 99 yards... 2.75 yards/carry.  Men... we gots lots of work to do.  I'm afraid we're in for a long season.

471485[/snapback]

How was that an ugly win? We only averaged 4.9 because for a majority of the game we were sitting on a 10 point lead. There was no need to open it up. We also had 5 turnovers like you pointed out, so again no need to open it up. Safe controlled passes and a healthy dose of McGahee.

Depressed, in that our offense averaged only 4.9 yards per play and the Fins offense averaged 7.8 yards per play.  Yeah... that means our 5 turnover great defense got shredded again by an average offense... in our own house. 

I love how the definition of "great defense" changes around here.

When we don't allow many points, a great defense is one that doesn't allow a lot of yards or one that gets a lot of turnovers.

When we don't get many turnovers, a great defense is one that doesn't allow a lot of yards or points

When we don't allow a lot of yards, a great defense is one that gets a lot of turnovers and doesn't allow a lot of points.

Basically, the only way people around here will think we have a good defense is if they get eight turnovers, allow -14 yards, and get a shutout every week. :D

CW

How was that an ugly win? We only averaged 4.9 because for a majority of the game we were sitting on a 10 point lead. There was no need to open it up. We also had 5 turnovers like you pointed out, so again no need to open it up. Safe controlled passes and a healthy dose of McGahee.

471488[/snapback]

You mean that 10 point lead we were trying to protect when we decided to go into the no huddle offense in the middle of the third quarter? We averaged low per carry because we committed to the run, which was good, and because we never let Holcomb throw the ball more than 10 yards, with a 0, 3, 10, 17, 0r 6 point lad.

When we don't allow many points, a great defense is one that doesn't allow a lot of yards or one that gets a lot of turnovers.

When we don't get many turnovers, a great defense is one that doesn't allow a lot of yards or points

When we don't allow a lot of yards, a great defense is one that gets a lot of turnovers and doesn't allow a lot of points.

Basically, the only way people around here will think we have a good defense is if they get eight turnovers, allow -14 yards, and get a shutout every week.  :D

CW

471489[/snapback]

Defense dos not win games. Scoring more points than the otther team is the more telling statistic. 100% accurate predictingi the winner. It's always the team that scores more points.

You mean that 10 point lead we were trying to protect when we decided to go into the no huddle offense in the middle of the third quarter?

Using the no-huddle and being conservative aren't mutually exclusive. The no-huddle is just trying to get the defense to stay in the same defense so that they can't substitute/rest players.

The definition of great defense does not include the Buffalo Bills D unless its great talking defense, in which case we're #1 in history.

Great defenses 1) Stop the run 2) Get off the field on 3rd down 3) shorten the field for the O and 4) Make big stops in big games.

RTB

Defense dos not win games.  Scoring more points than the otther team is the more telling statistic.  100% accurate predictingi the winner.  It's always the team that scores more points.

471493[/snapback]

So if you lose every game 2-0, you don't have a great defense?

CW

Using the no-huddle and being conservative aren't mutually exclusive.  The no-huddle is just trying to get the defense to stay in the same defense so that they can't substitute/rest players.

471494[/snapback]

Of course it is. But you just don't do that IMO when you're trying to escape with a win. Those extra minutes we gave up allowed the Fins to have an extra drive or two at the end of the game. You remember, the one that they came very close to beating us on? And we're not talking about not planning to won, or being conservative. The Bills still didnt open it up. And we could have wasted some time at the LOS with the same Fin defense on the way the Colts do. But we were in the no huddle and got the plays off pretty quick. It was stupid. The Bills coaching this year all around has been terrible.

Guest BackInDaDay

Basically, the only way people around here will think we have a good defense is if they get eight turnovers, allow -14 yards, and get a shutout every week.  :D

CW

471489[/snapback]

A great D gives the ball back to their O, either by turnover or downs, consistently and especially in big spots. I didn't see the game, so I don't know if Miami had long or short drives to their TDs. Taking it away with from them on their final drive definately qualifies as a great D play.

A great D gives the ball back to their O, either by turnover or downs, consistently and especially in big spots.  I didn't see the game, so I don't know if Miami had long or short drives to their TDs.  Taking it away with from them on their final drive definately qualifies as a great D play.

471498[/snapback]

Buffalo's defense had five turnovers yesterday and only allowed 13 points. To me, that's a great defensive day. However, others are saying, "They had too many yards!" or "They had a high yards per play average!" That's my point regarding the "great defense" being whatever Buffalo didn't do that week.

We're allowing 16.6 ppg, and the D has kept us close in every game. They havn't looked "great" every game, but they've definately been good.

CW

You mean that 10 point lead we were trying to protect when we decided to go into the no huddle offense in the middle of the third quarter? We averaged low per carry because we committed to the run, which was good, and because we never let Holcomb throw the ball more than 10 yards, with a 0, 3, 10, 17, 0r 6 point lad.

471491[/snapback]

That is exactly what I mean, like I said in my original post....Safe controlled passes and a healthy dose of Willis.

Obviously not.  The team that beats you every week 2-0 has a great defense.  Now you are starting to get it.

471538[/snapback]

But it's not the same team beating you 2-0 every week.

From what I've read here, one week does not a season make.

CW

Buffalo's defense had five turnovers yesterday and only allowed 13 points.  To me, that's a great defensive day.  However, others are saying, "They had too many yards!" or "They had a high yards per play average!"  That's my point regarding the "great defense" being whatever Buffalo didn't do that week.

We're allowing 16.6 ppg, and the D has kept us close in every game.  They havn't looked "great" every game, but they've definately been good.

CW

471503[/snapback]

I'm with you on this one...we had a good defenseive day yesterday, and i dont care how many yards per play the D gave up, because they came up with turnovers when it mattered. i dont like our troubles on 3rd down tho, the D needs to get off the field more so than they are doing.