al-Zawahiri

Apparently the guys running Al Qaeda have a different view of how things are going than most of the mainstream media.

CNN

The United States obtained a recent letter that appears to be from Ayman al-Zawahiri, al Qaeda's No. 2 figure, to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, outlining both the strategy and concerns of the terrorist network, said Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman.

In the letter, al-Zawahiri warns that some of the tactics currently employed by the insurgency, including the slaughtering of hostages and the suicide bombings of Muslim civilians, may risk alienating the "Muslim masses," Whitman said Thursday.

Reading from a summary of the letter, Whitman said al-Zawahiri concedes that al Qaeda has lost many key leaders, is resigned to defeat in Afghanistan, and that its lines of communication and funding sources have been seriously disrupted. Al-Zawahiri includes a plea for financial support, indicating he is strapped for money, Whitman said.

Gosh and I thought the GWOT was a disaster.... :flirt:

Apparently the guys running Al Qaeda have a different view of how things are going than most of the mainstream media.

CNN

Gosh and I thought the GWOT was a disaster.... :flirt:

469855[/snapback]

Without getting into AQ attacks elsewhere or Iraqi deaths and just dealing with the "insurgency" that good old Abu is most involved in, there have been 664 coalition soldiers killed so far this year and 621 over the same period last year. If this is kicking ass, then kicking ass is irrelevant. I'd love to believe that victory is just around the corner but I have heard that song so many times in this war that I don't care to hear it anymore.

Then again, what Abu writes in a fund raising letter is probably a better measure of success than casualty statistics?

I guess this will allow some to continue to claim that the insurgency is in its death throes for another 6 months.

As for Iraqi's, 2022 members of their security forces have died this year.

Without getting into AQ attacks elsewhere or Iraqi deaths and just dealing with the "insurgency" that good old Abu is most involved in, there have been 664 coalition soldiers killed so far this year and 621 over the same period last year.  If this is kicking ass, then kicking ass is irrelevant.  I'd love to believe that victory is just around the corner but I have heard that song so many times in this war that I don't care to hear it anymore.

Then again, what Abu writes in a fund raising letter is probably a better measure of success than casualty statistics?

I guess this will allow some to continue to claim that the insurgency is in its death throes for another 6 months.

As for Iraqi's, 2022 members of their security forces have died this year.

469917[/snapback]

We could just drop "the bomb" on them and get out- would you prefer that?

BushBad!

470024[/snapback]

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but do you ever contribute anything of value here? I think probably 98 of your last 100 posts in PPP are entirely composed of the above response and are merely a waste of space.

"Don’t speak unless you think you can improve the silence." -- Adolph Rupp, famed Kentucky basketball coach

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but do you ever contribute anything of value here? I think probably 98 of your last 100 posts in PPP are entirely composed of the above response and are merely a waste of space.

"Don’t speak unless you think you can improve the silence." -- Adolph Rupp, famed Kentucky basketball coach

470127[/snapback]

every once in a while i do, but mostly i troll in here just to make smartass comments. usully nobody notices as they just seem to be in line with the other inane banter of PPP. Take my post of BushBad! for example, that sums up several PPP posts in one unhyphinated exclamitory.

By posting BushBad! i have summed up a large part of one side of the argument. Rather than repeat what I have already said in a long winded post, others can simply move along and post more important matters like Droopy vs Eeyore or why the Bills are D 0:):w00t: MED!!!

470127[/snapback]

I think your posts suck too. Get off your high horse. 0:)

For a Little Lib, you have no !@#$ing heart. :w00t::w00t:

/DEV/NULL BAD!!

Take my post of BushBad! for example, that sums up several PPP posts in one unhyphinated exclamitory.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I'm absolutely positive that this letter is real.

I mean, it had an official letterhead and one of those pre-paid envelopes and everything!

:rolleyes:

472053[/snapback]

It showed up in my e-mail as being sent out by Move America Forward, and was used as a prime example of why my donations to the "You Don't Speak For Me, Cindy" campaign were working.

Except I hadn't made any donations...