Our Run D is not bad

Outkast

I watched every game this year a couple of times. The Bills run D is very aggresive in the first and second quarters of every game this year. They force several three and outs in the early going of games. It's not until the latter stages of the game that Buffalo's run D becomes weak. The Run D statisics are also over inflated because of the scrammbling QB's we've faced this year. All but one QB ran on us this year.

To me the lack of offense has more to do with the defense's struggles than the defense itself. If the Bills offense can keep the sticks moving and keep the defense fresh we won't be run over in the second half this week. Let;s hope KH can keep the chains movin'.

I watched every game this year a couple of times. The Bills run D is very aggresive in the first and second quarters of every game this year. They force several three and outs in the early going of games. It's not until the latter stages of the game that Buffalo's run D becomes weak. The Run D statisics are also over inflated because of the scrammbling QB's we've faced this year. All but one QB ran on us this year.

To me the lack of offense has more to do with the defense's struggles than the defense itself. If the Bills offense can keep the sticks moving and keep the defense fresh we won't be run over in the second half this week. Let;s hope KH can keep the chains movin'.

469535[/snapback]

Yep, it's been all QB runs that have inflated our pathetic rush defense stats. It couldn't have been the fact that Williams, Dunn, and McCallister all raped us.

469535[/snapback]

There are two sides to time of poss. stats. One is how long your offense is on the field, the other is you defenses ability to get their keesters off the field on third down. It is a two way street and our 3rd down stats are as bad on defense as they are on offense.

Huh? The Run Defense is 31st in the NFL. Almost 40 yards worse than the 30th ranked Saints. If they were any good they wouldn't be so bad regardless of what the offense is doing. If they were any good the last few games would have been 3 and outs on BOTH sides of the ball and there would have been 60 punts a game.

Yep,  it's been all QB runs that have inflated our pathetic rush defense stats.  It couldn't have been the fact that Williams,  Dunn,  and McCallister all raped us.

469540[/snapback]

Mcallister barely made a dent in the D until Mularkey conceded the game with that punt. Then he gets 70 yards in one drive....

Mcallister barely made a dent in the D until Mularkey conceded the game with that punt.  Then he gets 70 yards in one drive....

469872[/snapback]

So what are you saying? That doesn't count? Did this happen after time expired? B/c if it didn't, I fail to see the point when we were only down by 8 with 5 minutes left. Don't get me wrong, the O didn't do it's job. But I don't get people who say "Well, if you exclude that play...." Why do you exclude that play? It happened, didn't it? That's part of the strategy of breaking down a Defense, that you will then be able to get some long runs on them; discounting 70 yards willy-nilly is a cop-out.

So what are you saying? That doesn't count? Did this happen after time expired? B/c if it didn't, I fail to see the point when we were only down by 8 with 5 minutes left. Don't get me wrong, the O didn't do it's job. But I don't get people who say "Well, if you exclude that play...." Why do you exclude that play? It happened, didn't it? That's part of the strategy of breaking down a Defense, that you will then be able to get some long runs on them; discounting 70 yards willy-nilly is a cop-out.

I think what he's saying is that if the Saints didn't hold a 13 minute TOP advantage, because the offense couldn't sustain drives, that 70-yard run never happens.

OutKast does have a point... The run defense is actually fairly decent in throughout the first half and the beginning of the 3rd quarter. Also, yes, the offense is to blame for the defense being on the field a lot... But but but but, the offense does not stop the opposing RB when he rips off 12 on a 3rd and 6. You're trying to find a gold nugget in a pile of crap. The entire team is bad, with the exception of willis mcgahee.

I think what he's saying is that if the Saints didn't hold a 13 minute TOP advantage, because the offense couldn't sustain drives, that 70-yard run never happens.

469938[/snapback]

Yeah, and the other point was that Mularkey pretty much raised the white flag with that punt, how do you expect the D to respond? 4 minutes left and your O's longest drive is the half is 24 yards, the coach shows no confidence in the offense by punting while down two scores (last I checked 16-7 is 9, not 8 James, though maybe at UConn they teach a new math there...). It would potentially be a different story if they punted while down by one score, but two scores down punting after a 3 and out with 4 minutes left, pretty much says "I give up. I have nothing else." If the offense had tried the 4th down conversion and failed, you would have seen a much different attitude on D than by punting. How do you respond as a D when your coach admits the offense is impotent?

Yeah, and the other point was that Mularkey pretty much raised the white flag with that punt, how do you expect the D to respond?  4 minutes left and your O's longest drive is the half is 24 yards, the coach shows no confidence in the offense by punting while down two scores (last I checked 16-7 is 9, not 8 James, though maybe at UConn they teach a new math there...).  It would potentially be a different story if they punted while down by one score, but two scores down punting after a 3 and out with 4 minutes left, pretty much says "I give up.  I have nothing else."  If the offense had tried the 4th down conversion and failed, you would have seen a much different attitude on D than by punting.  How do you respond as a D when your coach admits the offense is impotent?

469982[/snapback]

Admittedly, I left the chatroom at halftime and turned the TV off and went and did something productive. I read in a post earlier this week that MM punted when we were down by one score w/ 5 min. left. They do teach math at the U, tho I tried to steer clear of those buildings. :flirt:

It is disheartening for the D to see the O struggle. But that's when great Ds step up and say, "If you're not going to move your a--es, we will" and go into force fumble mode where trying to punch the ball out is as important as making a tackle. Tantamount to McGee's KO returns, there should be a feeling that if no one else is going to do something, you've got to personally go balls to the wall and make something happen your damn self.