"Looking over his shoulder" is bull

I hate that phrase and think it is total crap and has no bearing on play whatsoever. Unless, of course, you don't have the head and talent to play at a high level in this league. The guys that are looking over their shoulder, and worried that if they screw up they are going to be benched, are the guys that should be benched. It shouldn't affect a guy at all compared with the pressure he faces from having to play quarterback in this league in the regular season. That is what they should be spending exactly 100% of their thoughts on during the game, whether they are playing bad or playing well. If a guy is looking over his shoulder and worried about not screwing up, hence making his play worse, get him off the team right now. He is never going to make it in this league. That is the equivalent of a cornerback who is worried he is going to get beat because he just got beat.

Hence, I don't think it affects Losman's play one bit if Holcomb comes in in the long run like he did in relief. Personally, I would have kept Losman in and not put Holcomb in. I think it was a bad coaching move. But I don't think it has any affect whatsoever on Losman's confidence, or play next week, or for the rest of the season. The quarterback position is the hardest position to play in all of professional sports. The guys that have the best mental toughness as well as physical toughness are the guys that play well in this league. Look at RJ. He was a guy that may look over his shoulder and it could affect his play. But it wasn't a cause and effect thing. If it does affect his play, his play is just not good enough at this level.

Losman, IMO, has a ton of confidence and if it has been shot one bit it's because of his play, not his being yanked. He's pissed about it. He thinks it was a terrible coaching move both times. He thinks if they gave him the fourth quarter he would have found a way to pull the game out. He thinks he's going to play well against the Fins and we're going to win. And that's exactly the way I want my QB to think. Sure, when he's off the field, or answering questions posed to him, or looking at film, or driving home alone, negative thoughts are going to pop into his head. The "this is harder than I thought" thoughts. The kind of thing he spoke about in pre-season after four weeks. But if he is going to make it in this league, his confidence is not going to be shattered by the coaching decision of benching him for a quarter. He's going to make it or be a bust in this league because of his mental toughness and ability (or inability) to play in the games. Not his inability to deal with mind games. Lesser players let that bother them. And that is why they don't last long.

Good post. But playing like he has he damn well better be looking over his shoulder, along with everyone else on the whole damn team, coaches included. The only guy at this point who shouldn't be looking over his shoulder is Ralph.

I hate that phrase and think it is total crap and has no bearing on play whatsoever. Unless, of course, you don't have the head and talent to play at a high level in this league. The guys that are looking over their shoulder, and worried that if they screw up they are going to be benched, are the guys that should be benched. It shouldn't affect a guy at all compared with the pressure he faces from having to play quarterback in this league in the regular season. That is what they should be spending exactly 100% of their thoughts on during the game, whether they are playing bad or playing well. If a guy is looking over his shoulder and worried about not screwing up, hence making his play worse, get him off the team right now. He is never going to make it in this league. That is the equivalent of a cornerback who is worried he is going to get beat because he just got beat.

Hence, I don't think it affects Losman's play one bit if Holcomb comes in in the long run like he did in relief. Personally, I would have kept Losman in and not put Holcomb in. I think it was a bad coaching move. But I don't think it has any affect whatsoever on Losman's confidence, or play next week, or for the rest of the season. The quarterback position is the hardest position to play in all of professional sports. The guys that have the best mental toughness as well as physical toughness are the guys that play well in this league. Look at RJ. He was a guy that may look over his shoulder and it could affect his play. But it wasn't a cause and effect thing. If it does affect his play, his play is just not good enough at this level.

Losman, IMO, has a ton of confidence and if it has been shot one bit it's because of his play, not his being yanked. He's pissed about it. He thinks it was a terrible coaching move both times. He thinks if they gave him the fourth quarter he would have found a way to pull the game out. He thinks he's going to play well against the Fins and we're going to win. And that's exactly the way I want my QB to think. Sure, when he's off the field, or answering questions posed to him, or looking at film, or driving home alone, negative thoughts are going to pop into his head. The "this is harder than I thought" thoughts. The kind of thing he spoke about in pre-season after four weeks. But if he is going to make it in this league, his confidence is not going to be shattered by the coaching decision of benching him for a quarter. He's going to make it or be a bust in this league because of his mental toughness and ability (or inability) to play in the games. Not his inability to deal with mind games. Lesser players let that bother them. And that is why they don't last long.

463037[/snapback]

I totally disagreed with him being yanked. I think they should have let him have a shot at pulling it out. He made many plays yesterday that makes me think he has everything it takes but experience. Srcambling for 1st downs on the TD drive, completing that 3rd and 18 at the 2.....and that one while getting hit in his endzone over the defender and off Shelton's hands..he catches that and there was no one near him for 20 yards.....that was "Flutie-esque".....

And one thing I saw that makes me agree with you regarding his ability to not dwell on this: instead of pouting on the bench he was right there on the sideline trying to pump our guys up. That showed me a lot.

I totally disagreed with him being yanked. I think they should have let him have a shot at pulling it out. He made many plays yesterday that makes me think he has everything it takes but experience. Srcambling for 1st downs on the TD drive, completing that 3rd and 18 at the 2.....and that one while getting hit in his endzone over the defender and off Shelton's hands..he catches that and there was no one near him for 20 yards.....that was "Flutie-esque".....

And one thing I saw that makes me agree with you regarding his ability to not dwell on this: instead of pouting on the bench  he was right there on the sideline trying to pump our guys up. That showed me a lot.

463082[/snapback]

I liked that, too. He actually threw quite a few very good passes yesterday. Just not nearly enough. I thought he would be better by now, but I also thought he'd be getting better help from his teammates, from his coaches and from his defense. I really haven't lost much faith in my feeling that he is going to be a very good if not great quarterback in this league one bit. I have no idea how long that it is going to take to happen though. Certainly not this year. ben Rothlisberger was not a great quarterback last year. He was a great manager of the game on a team that dominated the lines of scrimmage. That is not to say I wouldn't take that kind of play from JP. I would say, however, if Big Ben played on the Bills in these four games, I think we're 1-3. He would be getting KILLED out there.

463037[/snapback]

all it says is we dont think you can help us win, that should do wonders for his confidence..........if Losman bounces from it he does it despite poor handling......whatever was built progressively has been torn down....throw him to the wolves and show a backbone to stick with him if thats the plan otherwise scrap it...........point mularkey towards tom coughlin and watch how he does it......it has a brutal effect confidence is huge at that position

The only guy at this point who shouldn't be looking over his shoulder is Ralph.

463072[/snapback]

Ralph should have been fired many times for his numerous poor hiring decisions over the years. He is immune from criticism though.

all it says is we dont think you can help us win, that should do wonders for his confidence..........if Losman bounces from it he does it despite poor handling......whatever was built progressively has been torn down....throw him to the wolves and show a backbone to stick with him if thats the plan otherwise scrap it...........point mularkey towards tom coughlin and watch how he does it......it has a brutal effect confidence is huge at that position

463426[/snapback]

exactly!