Mike Williams is the biggest bust!!!

Wiz

I don't see the value in a top five pick. They are just coming out of college, but are paid veteran pro bowler type money before they even step on the field. We could have gotten a solid proven LEFT tackle via FA and had some change.

B-)

The next time, God forbid, we have a top five pick, if we can't trade down, we ought to allow teams to skip over us until at least pick ten.

We paid left tackle money for a right tackle who has had his troubles both on the field and staying on the field.

I just hope that he can get it together. I have a feeling his next contract will not be nearly as much as his rookie contract.

The whole freaking system is out of order, really. How many top five picks have earned their money in the past few seasons?

1999: Couch, McNabb, Smith, James, and Williams. 2/5, and Edge was availible for a 2nd round pick last year anyway.

2000: Courtney Brown, Arrington, Samuels, Warrick, and Jamal Lewis. Warrick and Brown are obvious busts. Jamal Lewis and Chris Samuels are the real deal. LaVar Arrington is heavily overrated.

2001: Michael Vick, Leonard Davis, Gerrard Warren, Justin Smith, LT. Linemen aren't really cutting it, it seems.

2002: Carr, Peppers, Harrington, Big Mike, Quetin Jammer. Peppers was the only one worth anything up there.

2003: Carson Palmer, Charles Rogers, Andre Johnson, Dewayne Robertson, Terence Newman. Newman's all right, Palmer, obviously. Andrew Johnson has an incomplete, and Rogers is 3rd on the depth chart.

After that, it's a little too soon to tell.

>>>>>I don't see the value in a top five pick.<<<<<

The Ravens (Ogden) and the Rams (Pace) would disagree with you.

Top 5 offensive lineman can be the best thing for a team. The thing is to draft one who can play up to that level.

Oh, and don't take a right tackle with a top 5 pick, right? B-)

PS: You rarely if ever get a top LT in free agency or trade. Teams simply will NOT let go of them. This is why Pace and Jones carried the franchise tag for so long.

We paid left tackle money for a right tackle who has had his troubles both on the field and staying on the field.

I just hope that he can get it together.  I have a feeling his next contract will not be nearly as much as his rookie contract.

460557[/snapback]

If he hasn't gotten "it" together yet he's not going to. I would right him off as a bust also.

You very rarely get a top LT, well, ever. Ogden, Pace, and Jones are in a class by themselves. There are other pretty-good ones (Matt Light, Tarik Glenn), but mostly, you need to have a top-3 pick in the right year to nab'em. Williams isn't in that category, but neither was McKinnie, or Levi Jones, or really anyone else drafted that year. Assuming trading down wasn't an option, Dwight Freeny was the only one we really missed (who was missed by most of the draft projectors too, it was considered a bit of a reach) along with Ed Reed, who was a mid-round pick anyway.

I just hope that he can get it together.  I have a feeling his next contract will not be nearly as much as his rookie contract.

460557[/snapback]

Can't stay on the road either. Remember when he flipped his truck and opted not to play? Favre's father dies and the guy plays a game of his life. MW was probably too upset about damaging his spinner hub caps

I think both MW and Moulds are gone after this season with their cap $$$$. Resign Clements with the $$$$ saved

How many teams passed on Brady too? There are just as many late round picks that become solid as there are first round busts.....

Having said that, I think the whole rookie salary scale is out of whack. Even if Gallery becomes an outstanding OL, he is stilling being overpaid for the first few years. The only position that has immediate impact in year 1 is a RB. Most other positions require some time to learn.

I still stand by my preferences of McKinney in the 1st and Larry Tripplett in the 2nd.

460938[/snapback]

I know lots of Vikings fans who would be happy to swap MW for BM.

BTW - BM was arrested last week. Goes to court tomorrow.

CW

It is not just him it is every top pick! Imagine paying Phillip Rivers 7M a year to sit the bench. Face it, when you pick that high you are paying huge dollars. It is just the way the draft works. You can't blame the Bills for that. Looks like we may be overpaying for another college player come April. Hopefully it will be a D-lineman.

For some positions it is ESSENTIAL you have a decent coach for first round rookies - you do not develop them and waste your money otherwise.

It is a shame that he is injured like Laywer & Vincent last year but that does not make him a bust any more than calling Lindell a bust (very common between seasons and during preseason). He was playing well end of last year and first game of this year.