Bob DiCesare Column

cale

DiCesare, Sullivan, and the rest of the gang at Buffalo News thrive on misery, much like posters here on the Stadium Wall. They love nothing more than to turn the knife. I seem to recall some similar columns written after the Bills started 0-4, and how Bledsoe was washed up!

The great thing about being a writer is no one remembers what you wrote last week.

PTR

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it with the Buffalo News columnists and an appearent need to find fault down to the atomic level?

When I lived in Pgh for 11 years and now here for 15, the writers talked about the game, made the occasional snotty comment, but nothing approaching the lynching which seems to be the norm in Bflo. now... :doh:

457903[/snapback]

It's what we do here...we love drive the car backward because its easier than looking in the review mirror.

Regarding the BN column, my thought was "why didn't we see this argument last December." TD's record then was 23-25. Just as "bad" if you go by Dicesare's logic.

But oh, that's right, it wasn't politically correct to bash the Bills then like it's become over the past 10 days. "Master of fan-pandering." Gee, I can think of a great candidate for that description. :devil:

DiCesare, Sullivan, and the rest of the gang at Buffalo News thrive on misery, much like posters here on the Stadium Wall.  They love nothing more than to turn the knife.  I seem to recall some similar columns written after the Bills started 0-4, and how Bledsoe was washed up!

The great thing about being a writer is no one remembers what you wrote last week.

PTR

458179[/snapback]

Since when is holding somebody accountable "thriving on misery"? I'll agree with that take on Sullivan, but the article linked in this thread by DiCesare was simply asking, "at what point is Donahoe going to be held accountable?"...and I agree, at some point we have to see wins and a playoff appearance.

Donahoe has had some built in excuses along the way. Salary cap jail, Rob Johnson, Bad first hire for a head coach, Mularky's first season, breaking in a new QB in JPL. At what point are the excuses put aside and the man judged on the overall job that's been done? Wins and losses are how people are judged in this league and based on that criteria TD hasn’t done a great job. How many more years of no playoffs before you think it's time to change directions? And no, I'm not advocating getting rid of TD right now, but I don't think it’s out of the question to ask for results after all this time.

Personally I give TD until after next season. If we don’t see the playoffs at that point it’s time to move on. That’s plenty of time for him to have molded this team into his “baby” and for us to judge him on how successful he’s been and where the team appears to be headed.

That streak was actually broken years earlier when Joe Ferguson was the QB and I believe Marino was a rookie. 

458169[/snapback]

Dude, your wayback machine needs a new battery. The Bills' 17-7 victory over the 'Fins that snapped the 20-game losing streak was on Sept. 17, 1980. Marino didn't enter the NFL until 1983. The Miami QBs that day were Bob Griese and and Don Strock.

Since when is holding somebody accountable "thriving on misery"? 

458190[/snapback]

The revisionist "we should have kept Bledsoe" tone of the piece is what causes it to lose credibility. I wonder if DiCesare would have written the same column if Drew were stinking it up in Dallas?

It's fine to hold TD accountable. But silly to dwell on the DB move as just a "shell game" move, IMO.

Dude, your wayback machine needs a new battery.  The Bills' 17-7 victory over the 'Fins that snapped the 20-game losing streak was on Sept. 17, 1980.  Marino  didn't enter the NFL until 1983.  The Miami QBs that day were Bob Griese and and Don Strock.

458191[/snapback]

Oh, and I did the lookup...where does it say that the Kelly game broke the streak? :devil:

DiCesare, Sullivan, and the rest of the gang at Buffalo News thrive on misery, much like posters here on the Stadium Wall. They love nothing more than to turn the knife. I seem to recall some similar columns written after the Bills started 0-4, and how Bledsoe was washed up!

PTR

or perhaps they perfer reality to fantasy. It's much easier to ignore the facts and believe that Teflon's record is 50-17 as opposed to what it really is and that the Bills are 3-0 rather than 1-2.

What is it with the Buffalo News columnists and an appearent need to find fault down to the atomic level?

When I lived in Pgh for 11 years and now here for 15, the writers talked about the game, made the occasional snotty comment, but nothing approaching the lynching which seems to be the norm in Bflo. now... :devil:

457903[/snapback]

that must have been before Ron Cook and Bob Smizik because these two are pretty negative most of the time.

Dude, your wayback machine needs a new battery.  The Bills' 17-7 victory over the 'Fins that snapped the 20-game losing streak was on Sept. 17, 1980.  Marino  didn't enter the NFL until 1983.  The Miami QBs that day were Bob Griese and and Don Strock.

458191[/snapback]

Did you find that in the review mirror?

:devil:

or perhaps they perfer reality to fantasy.  It's much easier to ignore the facts and believe that Teflon's record is 50-17 as opposed to what it really is and that the Bills are 3-0 rather than 1-2.

458256[/snapback]

You are absolutely right! If I am not wallowing in misery like everyone else, I am delluding myself. Because any sane person can see the Bills are DOOMED and the sooner I get with the program, the sooner...well, I don't know what, but dammit I should stop being so optimistic! :devil:

PTR

Getting back to the column, such an overarching indictment of TD based on the horrid play of the last two games seems like sloppy columnist work given that even after an 0-4 start the play and fortunes of the Bills turned around completely.

If it happens again this year this column essentially becomes inoperative and the equivalent of Emily Latella saying oh nevermind.

DiCeasare may want to claim that this is merely a matter of timing and on the face of it this column is a retrospective look at TD's entire career. Fine if this is the perspective he wants to take.

However, this analysis would need to draw clearer lines between the differences and alleged motivations for hiring him of the GW years and the current MM regime.

It does not make a rational distinction between the 2.

It does not do so because the same problem occurs in assessing the MM time period that it is simply too soon to draw overarccing conclusions on the teams play because:

1. 1 season plus three games is simply too short a time to draw a real conclusion that TD take 2 is a failed effort.

2. The "failed effort" of TD take 2 actually has a 10-9 winning record so far. Not great but not a record of abject failure either.

3. Perhaps one wants to predict that the prospects are now so bad with JP's play and Spikes injury. Perhaps, but given that the next 4 games are quite winnable such a prediction is pretty arguable and simply says more about DiCesare than the Bills.

Overall, the opinions expressed seem pretty thinly justified and the analysis does not even rise to the fair and balanced level of Fox News as it does not seem to recognize there is difference between the two coaches nor does it really measure the fullness of the things TD has done well with the problems.

it simply is not a very impressive iopinion piece.

Getting back to the column, such an overarching indictment of TD based on the horrid play of the last two games seems like sloppy columnist work given that even after an 0-4 start the play and fortunes of the Bills turned around completely.

458338[/snapback]

From reading some past editorials from him it's clear that he felt the Bills made a huge mistake in releasing Bledsoe. Just to provide some perspective...

From reading some past editorials from him it's clear that he felt the Bills made a huge mistake in releasing Bledsoe.  Just to provide some perspective...

458344[/snapback]

What would Bledsoe do here? get sacked some more? Maybe DiCeasar should play QB for a bit

What would Bledsoe do here? get sacked some more? Maybe DiCeasar should play QB for a bit

458348[/snapback]

He'd pick up where he left off last year....just look at what he's doing in Dallas... :devil:

A quote from someone's sig at BB.com:

If it's unsatisfactory that the Bills finished 9-7 under Bledsoe's direction, if the thought persists that he's unfit for the job, then a review of the season is in order. The Bills held a fourth-quarter lead in the opener against Jacksonville only to have its renowned defense surrender an 80-yard drive and three fourth-down conversions. There's win No. 10.

Bledsoe directed two fourth-quarter touchdown drives in Game Five against the Jets, entrusted a 14-13 lead to the defense with 5:58 remaining. Five minutes and 60 yards later, New York kicked the decisive field goal. There's win No. 11.

The final meltdown came Sunday against the Steelers, when the defense surrendered another fourth-quarter lead, followed by a 14-play drive of almost nine minutes that put the game away. There's win No. 12 and a tie for the third-best record in the AFC. Seems it's the celebrated defense, which continuously wilted in the fourth quarter of close games, that has some explaining to do.

Late defensive collapses have been abundant throughout Bledsoe's three years here. The Bills lost seven games in which they've led by seven or fewer points going into the fourth quarter, and two other times they blew leads before winning in overtime. Rarely has it been a quick kill. Indy beat them with an 83-yard drive last season, Tennessee with a 67-yard drive. In 2002, the lead was squandered on opposing marches of 68 yards (Jets), 80 yards (Raiders) and 78 yards (Chiefs). You can't heap all that on the QB.

By BOB DICESARE

He fails to mention two parts of maintaining a 4th quarter lead are:

--Keeping the opposing offense off the field

--Extending the lead.

If the Bills made the playoffs last year, and then got creamed in the first round in the playoffs, things would be completely different. Drew would still be our quarterback. At this point in the season, we would be 1-2, people would be slitting their throats about the quarterback play and why TD sucks and demanding his resignation for not knowing that Bledsoe stinks and standing pat when it was clear that Losman was the answer and needs to play, even if he makes some rookie mistakes.

458171[/snapback]

You got that right. And that's why, even though I do wish we were 3-0 or 2-1, I'm not too upset with this start...

the alternative you depict would've been totally unacceptable. :devil:

You got that right. And that's why, even though I do wish we were 3-0 or 2-1, I'm not too upset with this start...

the alternative you depict would've been totally unacceptable.  :devil:

458358[/snapback]

Rico- I couldn't agree more. Our line needs more work, and I'm sure it will be addressed in the offseason if we don't see significant improvement.

Lossman has things to work on- notably accuracy, but unlike some of the other guys that have been here since Kelly, he actually carries himself like a QB. I really think this kid is going to be something special afre a few years.

Add Lee Evans and Willis, and we could have a good team.

and if the impatient, instant gratification mongers are gone by then...more tickets for us.