T-Coach bulletin

theesir

Mike Mularkey has announced that his starters are all winded and will therefore no longer be playing on third down.

"I was thinking of playing them, but I thought this was a good time for them to get a "breather". I want to save them for first and second downs in other series' this game and in the weeks to follow " Mularkey was qouted as saying. Mularkey went on to say, "first and second down are more important than third, because there are two of them as opposed to just one third down".

Mularkey finished by stating "rest between series' is important, waiting until after 3rd down to come to the bench was leaving too many of our starters with nowhere to sit, forcing them to stand until the next series, getting them out after second down should help resolve that".

There was no word from Mularkey on where fourth down fits in this season.

You failed to state that MM said...

"we are trying to strike a balance here. Third downs are important on both sides of the ball, thus we have our third down packages on defense as well. Since our third down efficiency on defense is above 50%, we are trying to achieve that kind of success with the offense. We're not there yet, but with fresh 3rd down players will will get there."

Well the Patriots seem to be able to play any player and have no drop off at all. Is it because they have 53 starter-quality players on their roster? Or do they expect every player to play as they were a starter? What you see as a negative, I see as showing faith in your players and expecting them to perform. Few players play at 100% and don't ever need a rest.

You guys cry about wanting to the Bills to become champions yet you criticize every move the coaches make toward that goal.

PTR

Well the Patriots seem to be able to play any player and have no drop off at all.  Is it because they have 53 starter-quality players on their roster?  Or do they expect every player to play as they were a starter?  What you see as a negative, I see as showing faith in your players and expecting them to perform.  Few players play at 100% and don't ever need a rest. 

You guys cry about wanting to the Bills to become champions yet you criticize every move the coaches make toward that goal.

PTR

456823[/snapback]

We aren't criticizing them, we're just having a little fun at Mikey's expense. Do you remember how well they did last year after Mikey gave them the cheeseburgers?

Well the Patriots seem to be able to play any player and have no drop off at all.  Is it because they have 53 starter-quality players on their roster?  Or do they expect every player to play as they were a starter?  What you see as a negative, I see as showing faith in your players and expecting them to perform.  Few players play at 100% and don't ever need a rest. 

PTR

456823[/snapback]

Maybe because they are well coached. Ever think of that option?

PTR

456823[/snapback]

Wait, your joking right. The coach has stated that his best player (Willis) comes out of the game on 3rd downs so he can "get a breather", and on 4th down plays we replace our starting guard with a rookie because the starter is "winded".

Since when do Offensive line men come out for plays in the middle of drives because they are WINDED?

What good does keeping Willis rested for 1st and 2nd down do if you DON'T MAKE the 3rd down conversion.

Are we playing to win or make our backups feel good about themselves, you know, everyone gets to play a down and we all get a slice of orange at halftime.

Last time I checked, you win by playing your best players, not by using regular season games to get your young guys more experience.

Regardless, the coach said these guys needed to come out because they basically couldn't handle staying in stamina-wise. If that's true and not some stupid excuse, what kind of championship teams have starting running backs or linemen who aren't in good enough shape to finish a series.

Maybe because they are well coached.  Ever think of that option?

456837[/snapback]

Well we seem to judge players within 3 games and coaches in one season, so how would we know a good coach from a bad one, other than by wins and losses. Mike Martz looked awfully smart when he was winning. When did he lose all his IQ points?

I think the Bills coaches are good ones, but the players still have to play. They are facing a big challenge right now. Last year, the Bills responded to a 0-4 start. I'm confident they can figure it out.

PTR

Wait, your joking right. The coach has stated that his best player (Willis) comes out of the game on 3rd downs so he can "get a breather", and on 4th down plays we replace our starting guard with a rookie because the starter is "winded".

Since when do Offensive line men come out for plays in the middle of drives because they are WINDED?

What good does keeping Willis rested for 1st and 2nd down do if you DON'T MAKE the 3rd down conversion.

Are we playing to win or make our backups feel good about themselves, you know, everyone gets to play a down and we all get a slice of orange at halftime.

Last time I checked, you win by playing your best players, not by using regular season games to get your young guys more experience.

Regardless, the coach said these guys needed to come out because they basically couldn't handle staying in stamina-wise. If that's true and not some stupid excuse, what kind of championship teams have starting running backs or linemen who aren't in good enough shape to finish a series.

456840[/snapback]

I'm sure if I stood over your shoulder 24 hours a day, I'd find plenty about the way you do things to criticize. Everyone is a genius talking about what should have been done. But you weren't in the game, and you don't know what was happening, and Coach Mullarkey does not have to justify every decision to the press or fans.

PTR

I think the Bills coaches are good ones, but the players still have to play.  They are facing a big challenge right now.  Last year, the Bills responded to a 0-4 start.  I'm confident they can figure it out.

PTR

456843[/snapback]

I think that this is a coaching staff that has the ability to be great as well. I too hope that they can get things figured out. But I won't kiss their collective butts when they say/do dumb things.

Not having Willis as part of the 3rd down package is dumb. Saying he isn't part of the package so he can rest for the other plays is even dumber. There's a reason they track 3rd down conversion percentage. Its because these are PIVITOL plays. The defense should rise to its best as should the offense. I love Shaud Williams (in a football way, not a MAN way :D ), but he is not BETTER than Willis.

That was the point of my original post.

I don't charge 76000 people $45 bucks to stand over my shoulder and watch me work. :D

456858[/snapback]

Funny....but I think you guys are taking this 'winded' thing too seriously. MM knows that phrase hits peoples 'buttons' so he uses it.

Really, don't you do that with people that are mean? Purposely press their buttons? I do all the time and it works wonders as they get caught up in the wrong issue and waste all their time trying to be wittier than the person they try to emulate - kinda like you guys here in this forum.

Anyone with half a brain noticed/observed/saw CV wave to the sideline for a replacement. He took HIMSELF out of the game not MM.

Fan the flames and flame away ---- as long as you realize you are wrong. Though I cannot speak to WM being winded. That is somewhat dubious.

Though I cannot speak to WM being winded.  That is somewhat dubious.

456875[/snapback]

That was really my big point, the WM thing.

I also found it dubious however that Villarial was "winded" and had to come out on BOTH fourth and short plays, not just the one he "waved off" on.

something tells me that WM's knee still gets sore from time to time if he's in for x amount of series. i remember during the ATL game while he was on the sidelines he was rubbing his knees. There was even an instance where the camera showed a doctor examining WM's knee. so that may be a reason. im not saying this is definite, im just throwing it out there.

I think that this is a coaching staff that has the ability to be great as well. I too hope that they can get things figured out. But I won't kiss their collective butts when they say/do dumb things.

Not having Willis as part of the 3rd down package is dumb. Saying he isn't part of the package so he can rest for the other plays is even dumber. There's a reason they track 3rd down conversion percentage. Its because these are PIVITOL plays. The defense should rise to its best as should the offense. I love Shaud Williams (in a football way, not a MAN way :D ), but he is not BETTER than Willis.

That was the point of my original post.

456853[/snapback]

I don't think having Willis sit on obvious passing 3rd downs is dumb at all. His blitz pickup isn't very good and he hasn't really shown to be an amazing back coming out of the backfield to catch passes. I will say that I'm upset when I see him come out of the game on 3rd and 4 or less, as it'd be nice to give the defense something else to think about.

And all you guys sitting there making fun of a guy getting a breather, there is not a single back in the NFL that stays in for every single offensive snap. E. James comes the closest, but even he comes out here and there.