Play the NFL Stock Market!!!

JasoninMT

EDIT: This is a game to buy and sell shares of NFL stock, with the goal of making the most money.... And no, you don't get $1 million dollars if you win, it's a mere 1/100th of 1% of that... $25.

EDIT: Change... Stocks may split if they trade for over $50 3 consecutive times.

The cutoff for buys is 12 ET, Thursday.

You get $32 to spend right now... each team's stock is $1...

Whose stock are you buying? You have to spend all $32...

The initial results will be used to calculate the actual Initial Offering Prices.

Thursday Afternoon, I will post those prices for all to see. There is no limit on the number of shares for a team you can own - you are only limited by your money and by the number of shares available - there are only 12 shares of each team available for sale.

On Friday at 10am MT, I'll start taking buy orders. You'll have $100 to spend. You may buy early if you won't be able to send at 10am (for a $5 penalty). I will post hourly updates as far as how many shares are available of each team until close on Friday (3pm MT). Because this will be a shortened week I will accept buys through Sunday at 10am MT (1 Hour before kickoff).

I encourage you to put more than 1 buy on the list as I will process them in order received and buy as "best" as can be done - so you can "ask" for shares of something which aren't available, I will move to your next request and fill it working down the line.

Starting Monday, trading will happen between 10am and 3pm Mountain, Monday through Friday... You will be able to buy and sell among yourselves, I just need to know about the transaction for it to be valid... I don't have Internet at home, so keep that in mind for after hours trade offers... Also, once the shares of a team are gone, you need a seller in order to buy - and you negotiate the price... Anyone may join, whether they helped to set the price or not. You can get into the market with your $100 at any time by sending me a PM. I will have a list of what shares are still available from me (unowned). Those prices will fluctuate based on teams performances.

Other Rules:

No partial shares will be allowed.

All share prices will be whole dollars (I will round up any fractions).

Any money not spent on shares is held in your "reserves".

Reserves do not get interest.

There are no taxes. :lol:

There are no capital gains. :lol:

The only time I will have a commission is during the first buy in for those buying prior to the market opening ($5).

Just like Wall Street, the prices I list for teams will be the last traded price. If a teams shares aren't all owned their prices will fluctuate based on performance.

A win by a team generates a $1 dividend/share going to your reserves.

A loss by a team nets a $1 loss/share from your reserves - if you don't have any reserves you will have to sell a share of something to pay on the Tuesday following game week (by 5pm - if you don't pick, I will select).

Dividends and losses are only paid/charged for shares owned prior to the game.

The exchange (me) will not buy back shares. You will need to find a buyer.

If a stock trades for over $50/share on 3 consecutive trades, I will consider splitting the stock - we can do it via a "shareholder" meeting :o.

Data Updates:

Each Morning, before opening, I will post what each share last traded for. (I reserve the right to post them the night before.)

Each Tuesday I will show how much $ each player has, and their shares owned.

We'll see who has the most money at the end of the season.

Any Questions? PM me your orders for actual shares Friday September 30th starting at 10am MT (Noon ET, 11am Central, 9am Pacific)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This just might be fun.

Hey...Do the local Rubgy folks still run the Maggot Fest in Missoula?

Played a few times in the early 80's.....Had a lot of trout and drank a lot of beer.

Oh and played some rugby too!

As soon as I have the prices settled (Should be Thursday afternoon...) I will post the IPO... I will also post the number of shares available for each team.

Then, Friday at 10am MT trading will begin. You can PM me your buys, first come first served... I will use the timestamp of TSW in terms of timing... No trades will take place before 10am MT (noon ET)... I'm sure I'll be flooded then... I will update as often as I can then... There will be a moritorium on trading stocks this week - it will only be IPOs... Also, you should post your buys in priority order, I will fill them top down, so you can ask for more buys than you can afford, I'll simply stop buying shares when you run out of $... Next Monday you can start trading among yourselves... After closing on Friday (3pm MT) I'll post the shares owned as soon as I can.

As soon as I have the prices settled (Should be Thursday afternoon...)  I will post the IPO...  I will also post the number of shares available for each team.

Then, Friday at 10am MT trading will begin.  You can PM me your buys, first come first served...  I will use the timestamp of TSW in terms of timing...  No trades will take place before 10am MT (noon ET)...  I'm sure I'll be flooded then...  I will update as often as I can then...  There will be a moritorium on trading stocks this week - it will only be IPOs...  Also, you should post your buys in priority order, I will fill them top down, so you can ask for more buys than you can afford, I'll simply stop buying shares when you run out of $...  Next Monday you can start trading among yourselves...  After closing on Friday (3pm MT) I'll post the shares owned as soon as I can.

456694[/snapback]

This is moving kind of fast... Shouldn't we gauge interest first? How many do we need to make it worthwhile?

I'll just start it...

I'm one of those (If you build it they will come) sort of folks... It could be a complete failure, but I've already got 4 players... and I am sure we'll get more. If it's 100 players, then I'll need help coordinating things... but for now, Excel is working fine and I'll have a price available for each team on Friday...

It's **Free** and should be interesting and fun... I'm not doing any web development or anything.... I think it's much too early to do anything like that... :D

I would appreciate a Sticky... to keep this from falling off the page...

thanks.

So if I have $32 right now and I send you a PM saying I want 30 shares of BUF and 2 shares of SF before the IPO, does that mean I will get 30 shares of BUF and 2 shares of SF. Or is the market price going to be determied after everyone submits their initial 32 orders?

sfladave1 - as you said, this round until Thursday is only to set the prices for teams, not the selling of actual shares...

I am gauging interest to get initial prices... the other way to do it would have been have 5 shares of each team, give them all the same value and let people buy at will... I didn't want to do it that way... Sure it's more complicated this way, but I felt it shouldn't exclusively be first come first served...

I'm sure Monday will be a hectic trading day, as the trading begins - and we'll have 1 weeks worth of games (sans MNF) out of the way. BTW, you must own shares before the actual game played in order to get any dividends (or suffer any losses)...

sfladave1 - as you said, this round until Thursday is only to set the prices for teams, not the selling of actual shares...

I am gauging interest to get initial prices...  the other way to do it would have been have 5 shares of each team, give them all the same value and let people buy at will...  I didn't want to do it that way...  Sure it's more complicated this way, but I felt it shouldn't exclusively be first come first served...

I'm sure Monday will be a hectic trading day, as the trading begins - and we'll have 1 weeks worth of games (sans MNF) out of the way.  BTW, you must own shares before the actual game played in order to get any dividends (or suffer any losses)...

456972[/snapback]

How many people do you have?

Right now, I have 5 participants. I am now going to offer a prize of $25 to the winner... I would really like to see how well the game works...

I was surprised to find there were not any similar games already out there... So, we could have something here...