Ashcroft protects us again....

from the center for american progress, but their info is from the GAO:

A new Government Accountability Office report found that Attorney General John Ashcroft spent more than $200,000 of taxpayer money on trips to 32 cities in August and September of 2003 to specifically whip up public support for the Patriot Act. In the process, Ashcroft may have broken the law. A 2002 federal law explicitly prohibits federal funds from being used by any executive branch agency – including the Justice Department – to lobby the public for support or defeat of legislation pending before the Congress.

Nice. Over $6000 a trip. Thanks for responsibly using my money, Ashcroft.

Nice.  Over $6000 a trip.  Thanks for responsibly using my money, Ashcroft.

32185[/snapback]

How is this different from any other administration? How much was spend to fly Chelsea and Hillary around the world? A HELL of a lot more than $6000 per trip. Start in the five-figure range, per person.

You people are really an embarrassment, with the crap that you focus on during this election. It is no wonder why I am slipping in the polls.

How is this different from any other administration? How much was spend to fly Chelsea and Hillary around the world? A HELL of a lot more than $6000 per trip. Start in the five-figure range, per person.

32197[/snapback]

1) Were they promoting legislation after 2002 when a law was passed forbidding it?

2) Did they hold a government position that was essential to national security? Ashcroft was parading his rat-face around the nation when he should have been in his office working to do everything he could to really protect us. And I don't mean by looking to see what books people are getting out of the library.

1) Were they promoting legislation after 2002 when a law was passed forbidding it?

2) Did they hold a government position that was essential to national security?  Ashcroft was parading his rat-face around the nation when he should have been in his office working to do everything he could to really protect us.  And I don't mean by looking to see what books people are getting out of the library.

32213[/snapback]

Yeah, nothing better than a bureaucrat that sits in his office and dictates. VERY effective leadership. Very smart to reduce everything to the minutia. Your inability to look at things with a "big picture" mentality is more evident every day.

Did they hold a government position that was essential to national security? 

32213[/snapback]

No they didn't, which make it that much worse that they spend MORE money to fly around people who mean LESS to the country.

I repeat what I said before, you guys are really embarrasing. No wonder my campaign is in free-fall. Idiots like you are killing me.

32185[/snapback]

Patriot Act was passed in October of 2001. If the 2002 law states that the executive branch can't use federal funds to promote legislation pending before Congress...then it doesn't apply, because the legislation wasn't pending. It was passed. Ashcroft may have wasted money...but he didn't break the law.

Ashcroft was parading his rat-face around the nation when he should have been in his office working to do everything he could to really protect us.

I love it when people like yourself make statements like the above and then B word about everything Ashcroft tries to do, every step of the way.

Its like bitching that your lawn is dry and then complaining when it rains.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
I love it when people like yourself make statements like the above and then B word about everything Ashcroft tries to do, every step of the way.

Its like bitching that your lawn is dry and then complaining when it rains.

32257[/snapback]

John Ashcroft for Oberstfuhrer in 2008! :huh::(

Yeah, nothing better than a bureaucrat that sits in his office and dictates.  VERY effective leadership.  Very smart to reduce everything to the minutia.  Your inability to look at things with a "big picture" mentality is more evident every day.

32218[/snapback]

When all else fails, trot out the "my brain is bigger than yours" insults.

PLEASE, tell me what Ashcroft has accomplished that makes you feel genuinely safer in this country. I don't care where he works out of, I'm sorry you're so attached to the literal. He can be in his office, he can be singing out orders for all I care, but I fail to see the positives in his record as AG. He's just another harbinger of more ineffective government. And he brings out these ridiculous cases like Padilla's that turn out to have little merit and are of little consequence, while he has done nothing to enhance the "big picture" you speak of.

Any real conservative should be bashing their head every time Aschcroft opens his mouth. Like Ridge, he's just another cog in Bush's "we're safer" / "an attack is imminent" conundrum of fear and lies.

Patriot Act was passed in October of 2001.  If the 2002 law states that the executive branch can't use federal funds to promote legislation pending before Congress...then it doesn't apply, because the legislation wasn't pending.  It was passed.  Ashcroft may have wasted money...but he didn't break the law.

32234[/snapback]

It was the renewal of the act in '03. Some Dems were pushing for some of the provisions to be removed from the act, which didn't happen.

When all else fails, trot out the "my brain is bigger than yours" insults.

PLEASE, tell me what Ashcroft has accomplished that makes you feel genuinely safer in this country.  I don't care where he works out of, I'm sorry you're so attached to the literal.  He can be in his office, he can be singing out orders for all I care, but I fail to see the positives in his record as AG.  He's just another harbinger of more ineffective government.  And he brings out these ridiculous cases like Padilla's that turn out to have little merit and are of little consequence, while he has done nothing to enhance the "big picture" you speak of.

Any real conservative should be bashing their head every time Aschcroft opens his mouth.  Like Ridge, he's just another cog in Bush's "we're safer" / "an attack is imminent" conundrum of fear and lies.

32571[/snapback]

Actually Ashcroft has been fighting the Pentagon machine throughout his tenure to remove the empire builders and get rid of the bureaucrats in favor of more operators. He hasn't been real successful, because the folks he is fighting have been through the battle before and know all the tactics to keep their own heads from being lopped off.

I wouldn't call myself a "real conservative." My politics are far too complicated for that to be accurate.

Sorry for taking things literally. Heaven forbid people actually mean what they say.

and I don't mean by looking to see what books people are getting out of the library.

please show me an example of a time the patriot act has been used to find out what book someone has read at a library, I'm really interested to see it.

you guys love bringing up that line, but I'm just waiting for some facts behind it please....

please show me an example of a time the patriot act has been used to find out what book someone has read at a library, I'm really interested to see it.

you guys love bringing up that line, but I'm just waiting for some facts behind it please....

32638[/snapback]

DNC talking point. Of course, they were overwhelmingly for the Patriot Act when it was VOTED on. You know, the time it mattered.

32185[/snapback]

Please do the work and provide a direct link to your alleged GAO report, not a statement by a 3rd party surrogate. In the interest of honesty...otherwise, don't post.<

6,000 dollars could have nicely lit the unlit, broken down bouys in the middle of the Upper Niagara River.

Then again, when the terrorists come over from Canada, I guess you want them to hit something?

32730[/snapback]

Ex, this is a serious charge. You are not stupid - why buy into this with glee unless it's substantiated?

Ex, this is a serious charge. You are not stupid - why buy into this with glee unless it's substantiated?

32746[/snapback]

I was being sacastic.

Cruised the Niagara this past weekend... Good thing I knew where they were...?

Anyway... Do they really call the sport of "bean bag toss", the "bean-bag" that is, "Corn Holes" in Cincinnatti? Too funny! Only in Cincy! Heard it on the radio this morning!

:lol::lol: