Willis eating humble pie this week

jester43

Not to come acroos TOO harsh, but I can't be the only who has noticed that, in the past off-season, #21 has been treated as though his **** smells like roses by the fans and media. I really think his shaky play so far this season is a result of him being young, immature, and believing his own hype. This would include the petting and stroking of his agent who, as sure as we'll be paying $4 a gallon for gas next week, HAS to be primping him for a hold-out next year if his stats are good.

So it is GOOD for McGahee to find out he has some flaws, even if he does not yet fully believe them. It is GOOD for him to be reminded (though hopefully he is hearing this from his fans, and not the coaches) that the Bills did him a huge favor by drafting him #21, and not the other way around. And it is VERY GOOD that we have a coach who is not afraid to speak the truth about the way he played last week. And the truth is that, even though he is more of a "glider" than a battering ram at RB, Willis is not hitting the holes the way he did last year- when he had something to play for. Forget stats, he was OUTWORKED by a rookie last week, and this was NOT on the list of potential problems we all saw on this team over the summer. Congrats to Mularkey for forcing the kid to concentrate on the here and now, rather than the dollar signs he apparently sees in his future when he closes his eyes at night. And I don't buy the crap that the Bills are taking a big risk in pointing out the obvious because they might hurt the boy's feelings. Good grief, this is not a junior high team!

So yeah, in case you're wondering :blink: , I am not impressed with the guy so far this year. I am not flushing the toilet on him by any means, but I am not impressed. I guess i just wish he hit holes with the same intensity as(....ahem....)Travis henry(double :) ).

Not to come acroos TOO harsh, but I can't be the only who has noticed that, in the past off-season, #21 has been treated as though his **** smells like roses by the fans and media.  I really think his shaky play so far this season is a result of him being young, immature, and believing his own hype.  This would include the petting and stroking of his agent who, as sure as we'll be paying $4 a gallon for gas next week, HAS to be primping him for a hold-out next year if his stats are good. 

So it is GOOD for McGahee to find out he has some flaws, even if he does not yet fully believe them.  It is GOOD for him to be reminded (though hopefully he is hearing this from his fans, and not the coaches) that the Bills did him a huge favor by drafting him #21, and not the other way around.  And it is VERY GOOD that we have a coach who is not afraid to speak the truth about the way he played last week.  And the truth is that, even though he is more of a "glider" than a battering ram at RB, Willis is not hitting the holes the way he did last year- when he had something to play for.  Forget stats, he was OUTWORKED by a rookie last week, and this was NOT on the list of potential problems we all saw on this team over the summer.  Congrats to Mularkey for forcing the kid to concentrate on the here and now, rather than the dollar signs he apparently sees in his future when he closes his eyes at night.  And I don't buy the crap that the Bills are taking a big risk in pointing out the obvious because they might hurt the boy's feelings.  Good grief, this is not a junior high team!

So yeah, in case you're wondering :blink: , I am not impressed with the guy so far this year.  I am not flushing the toilet on him by any means, but I am not impressed.  I guess i just wish he hit holes with the same intensity as(....ahem....)Travis henry.

450215[/snapback]

Well stated. If the hole isn't there, then put your head down and pick up the available 2-3 yards. You might even break a tackle and get a big run out of it. Quit dancing around east-west, waiting for the red sea to part, ala Antowain Smith. The OL can only be blamed so much.

I do sense a bit of a "tude" from this guy, even though I still support him. But if he's subconsciously trying to protect his knee at the expense of our team, then calling him out isn't blasphemy. Carnell Williams looked to be twice the player this past Sunday. He put his head down and broke more than a few tackles and hit the lime of scrimmage flying, whether the hole was there or not.

The Bills made him a surprising early pick when they sensed Henry had limitations on and off the field. TD doesn't view any player as an untouchable Deity and may do the same thing if Willis doesn't show a consistent desire to go all out and doesn't stop listening to Rosenhaus talk about how much he's worth.

you mean the 2000 defense?  or the one that won the AFL championship?  They were both better than this one (and I didn't just decide this Sunday night).

450234[/snapback]

As soon as I heard them making such statements I had a sick feeling the Bucs were going to make them eat their words. The Bills and their players boasting to the media have never made for a winning combination. Keep it to yourself and just talk about how awesome the other team is if your pressed for a comment, that is something I wish they'd finally get.

As soon as I heard them making such statements I had a sick feeling the Bucs were going to make them eat their words. The Bills and their players boasting to the media have never made for a winning combination. Keep it to yourself and just talk about how awesome the other team is if your pressed for a comment, that is something I wish they'd finally get.

450241[/snapback]

Yes, let your actions on the field do the talking and let the talking heads on ESPN and NFL network call you the best defense.

Not to come acroos TOO harsh, but I can't be the only who has noticed that, in the past off-season, #21 has been treated as though his **** smells like roses by the fans and media.  I really think his shaky play so far this season is a result of him being young, immature, and believing his own hype.  This would include the petting and stroking of his agent who, as sure as we'll be paying $4 a gallon for gas next week, HAS to be primping him for a hold-out next year if his stats are good. 

So it is GOOD for McGahee to find out he has some flaws, even if he does not yet fully believe them.  It is GOOD for him to be reminded (though hopefully he is hearing this from his fans, and not the coaches) that the Bills did him a huge favor by drafting him #21, and not the other way around.  And it is VERY GOOD that we have a coach who is not afraid to speak the truth about the way he played last week.  And the truth is that, even though he is more of a "glider" than a battering ram at RB, Willis is not hitting the holes the way he did last year- when he had something to play for.  Forget stats, he was OUTWORKED by a rookie last week, and this was NOT on the list of potential problems we all saw on this team over the summer.  Congrats to Mularkey for forcing the kid to concentrate on the here and now, rather than the dollar signs he apparently sees in his future when he closes his eyes at night.  And I don't buy the crap that the Bills are taking a big risk in pointing out the obvious because they might hurt the boy's feelings.  Good grief, this is not a junior high team!

So yeah, in case you're wondering :blink: , I am not impressed with the guy so far this year.  I am not flushing the toilet on him by any means, but I am not impressed.  I guess i just wish he hit holes with the same intensity as(....ahem....)Travis henry(double :) ).

450215[/snapback]

450401[/snapback]

There's a loyalty lacking here that I find concerning.

The Bills drafted WM in the first round a few years ago when not many teams would TOUCH him until much later rounds, due to the nature of his injury. Then,

The Bills, rather than hurrying him back in that first year, let him sit for the year learning the offense and not risking a injury...letting him heal. Then,

WM is interviewed during this off season and asked "do you see yourself staying in Buffalo?" and the answer was '...if they pay me". Then,

When his coach is sending him a direct message about running north/south, his response is "...everyone has their own opinion".

Now, some of this may be youth and inexperience. But a message to be received by WM is be appreciative, shut up and do your job. You are 23-24 years old. You still have stuff to learn.

There's a loyalty lacking here that I find concerning.

The Bills drafted WM in the first round a few years ago when not many teams would TOUCH him until much later rounds, due to the nature of his injury. Then,

The Bills, rather than hurrying him back in that first year, let him sit for the year learning the offense and not risking a injury...letting him heal. Then,

WM is interviewed during this off season  and asked "do you see yourself staying in Buffalo?" and the answer was '...if they pay me". Then,

When his coach is sending him a direct message about running north/south, his response is "...everyone has their own opinion".

Now, some of this may be youth and inexperience. But a message to be received by WM is be appreciative, shut up and do your job. You are 23-24 years old. You still have stuff to learn.

450407[/snapback]

How loyal are you to your company? If another company offers you alot more money you wouldn't leave? Sure you wouldn't. :blink:

I love the ideology people put on athletes because they happen to play for their favorite team.

Amazing! Why is anyone surprised at this development? Special treatment is intended to make the recipient feel "special", whether it is earned and deserved or not. WM has been treated specially ever since day one by everyone around him including, but not limited to, the Bills front office. Hard nosed, blue-collar All-Pro Travis Henry wasn't good enough for the Bills no matter how hard he tried or how dedicated he was. Meanwhile special WM was pampered and prefered for two seasons. Special WM was given the job while Henry was hurt regardless of appearances and the unwanted Henry was traded off from his all-time favorite team. We are now witnessing the start of the eventual departure of WM for a big-market, big-money team. I'm not saying WM isn't extremely talented. He has more natural gifts than Henry and most other NFL backs. I am saying Henry was loyal and proved he could perform with a far less talented line than is playing with WM and, yet, he was run out of town. WM has had one good season and will leave Buffalo as soon as a seat in first class is available. Do you think Mr. Rosenhaus spends alot of time talking with his clients about loyalty to the team? I believe the line was, "Show me the money!"

How loyal are you to your company?  If another company offers you alot more money you wouldn't leave?  Sure you wouldn't.  :D

I love the ideology people put on athletes because they happen to play for their favorite team.

450427[/snapback]

There you have it. Loyalty has no place in popular American culture. Gordon Gecko had it right---"Greed is good." Maybe it should be "Greed is god."

Alaska Darin, believe it or not, there was a time, long, long ago....well you know the rest of the old-school garbage. It's irrelevant so I'll quit.

There you have it.  Loyalty has no place in popular American culture.  Gordon Gecko had it right---"Greed is good."  Maybe it should be "Greed is god."

Alaska Darin, believe it or not, there was a time, long, long ago....well you know the rest of the old-school garbage.  It's irrelevant so I'll quit.

450451[/snapback]

Loyalty has it's place certainly, but anyone who is loyal to their employer to a fault is going to have a life filled with disappointment. It is what it is.

450427[/snapback]

The hardcore fans root for the laundry.

Everyone has a favorite player or two. The rest are basically a herd of bison just passing through to graze and collect big $$. On their way, they provide some entertainment.

Welcome to the cap age of transient loyalty. A two way street, wouldn't you say ?

The hardcore fans root for the laundry.

Everyone has a favorite player or two. The rest are basically a herd of bison just passing through to graze and collect big $$. On their way, they provide some entertainment.

Welcome to the cap age of transient loyalty. A two way street, wouldn't you say ?

450547[/snapback]

Players in any sport, at any time in history, are never really loyal to their city or their team. They are loyal to where they are at that moment. The player most loyal to the Bills in their history, if he were drafted by the Dolphins, would very likely have been just as loyal to Miami as he was here. Some players take it to heart and some don't. It's human nature. Some are loyal because they like a certain coach or GM. Some aren't loyal to the laundry at all but love the comraderie of their specific teammates. Players aren't really loyal and they never really have been. But teams aren't loyal to them and fans aren't loyal to them and the media isn't loyal to them. The most you can hope for is that the player busts his ass in the games (and to a lesser extent busts his ass in practice) and is a good teammate in the locker room and is a good member of the community for the time that they are here.

Willis McPayMe is a booger-eating primadonna (this week).

Evil TD and his minions are going to make a point this season in dozens of little ways why Willis and his booger-eating agent can forget a contract hold-out anytime soon.

Willis, word of advice: Do what Travis Henry tried to do--find a little hole and hit it.

...OMG, that was awful. :D

So yeah, in case you're wondering :D , I am not impressed with the guy so far this year.  I am not flushing the toilet on him by any means, but I am not impressed.  I guess i just wish he hit holes with the same intensity as(....ahem....)Travis henry(double :D ).

450215[/snapback]

Agree. Didn't want to say it for fear of being flamed by all the McGahee ass-kissers, but I've seen him play in every preseason game and two regular season games, and so far, he looks very average to me. I haven't seen any fast cuts, hitting the hole with incredible quickness, or running away from the crowd (not counting the east-west routes). Can you say "Ronnie Harmon"?

There has yet to be one of those "did you see that move?" moment from him.

Put me down as unimpressed.

Loyalty has it's place certainly, but anyone who is loyal to their employer to a fault is going to have a life filled with disappointment.  It is what it is.

450497[/snapback]

Second time in recent memory I have to agree with AD. Loyalty Avenue has to be a two way street. Employers are only loyal to the bottom line. Even the great Japanese economic machine with lifetime employment has has changed. Like AD said, it is what it is, maybe not what we'd like maybe, but.........