LOST 02.01 Discussion Thread

PTS

I watched the show and came away unimpressed.

This was my first time watching the show, and I thought it was one huge gimmick.

Just MO, flame away.

450472[/snapback]

I missed out entirely on Lost the first time around, but always had a curiosity about it. I normally don't watch much offered on the big 4, but this show generated a ton of talk and a ton of fans....

I was at Blockbuster about 2 weeks ago and needed to find something to rent. I walked around and came upon all 6 DVDs for the first season of Lost...I said "what the hell". I rented DVD #1 and the rest as they say is history.

I watched all 6 DVDs in the course of 5 days :D My family thought I was cracked :D

Anyways, it is a FANTASTIC story. Great acting. Great suspense. It REALLY sucks you in.

I can see how it would appear to suck if you saw only 1 episode, but trust me, you must watch from the beginning! Each episode bleeds into the next and after a while it all makes sense...

REALLY funny parts as well...When Sawyer called Jin "Sulu"..MUAHAHAHAH

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just over at the ocean-air.com site and went to the seating chart again.  This may be old news, but I didn't see any posts on it so I thought I'd throw it in.

Lucia -- the girl that Jack meets in the bar before the flight -- now shows up as green on the seating chart.  If you click her seat, the plane starts to flash red until the back half of the chart breaks away with a crash and you hear Locke saying "we're not the only ones on the island ..."  I also heard a rumor that she was supposed to be involved in this season.

This leads me to believe that the back half did survive -- like the one black lady thought about her husband who was in the bathroom when the plane went down.

Any thoughts?

450506[/snapback]

Three, possibly four, others survivored in the back including Analucia and Rose's husband. They are somewhere on the island. This is confirmed by the producers and cast. These survivors were the ones we heard on the transmission that Boone received before he died. "No, we're the survivors of Flight 815."

Three, possibly four, others survivored in the back including Analucia and Rose's husband. They are somewhere on the island. This is confirmed by the producers and cast. These survivors were the ones we heard on the transmission that Boone received before he died. "No, we're the survivors of Flight 815."

450599[/snapback]

So then.... they have a radio!

I was just over at the ocean-air.com site and went to the seating chart again.  This may be old news, but I didn't see any posts on it so I thought I'd throw it in.

Lucia -- the girl that Jack meets in the bar before the flight -- now shows up as green on the seating chart.  If you click her seat, the plane starts to flash red until the back half of the chart breaks away with a crash and you hear Locke saying "we're not the only ones on the island ..."  I also heard a rumor that she was supposed to be involved in this season.

This leads me to believe that the back half did survive -- like the one black lady thought about her husband who was in the bathroom when the plane went down.

Any thoughts?

450506[/snapback]

Ana Lucia is indeed supposed to play a part this season, possibly as early as next week. Forgive me if this is in the wrong thread as applies more to the Exodus Part II episode but had to share. I was talking about the show with my dad and a friend today and something came up that for whatever reason I completely missed. It might be because my dad's into numbers/stats etc but he pointed out to me today that the flight #was 8-15 and Jack's seat # was 23B and Ana Lucia's seat was 42F. Which of course are four of the "cursed #s".

Any thoughts?

I forgot how much I hated when show ends in the heat of the moment. What the hell does it all mean? Who is that dude? What does it have to do with "The Others"? Walt? The hatch mystery for now is answered, but 10 more mysteries are found.

I have decided to use my TBD Blog to recap the clues and details of each episode this season.

Here's the link ... Click Here

I think many of you will find it interesting. You gotta watch these episodes REAL close, especially in the flashbacks.

450025[/snapback]

If I didn't have my DVR I would miss so much in this show, I had to pause and rewind a few times just to do a double take!!

Ana Lucia is indeed supposed to play a part this season, possibly as early as next week. Forgive me if this is in the wrong thread as applies more to the Exodus Part II episode but had to share. I was talking about the show with my dad and a friend today and something came up that for whatever reason I completely missed. It might be because my dad's into numbers/stats etc but he pointed out to me today that the flight #was 8-15 and  Jack's seat # was 23B and Ana Lucia's seat was 42F.  Which of course are four of the "cursed #s".

Any thoughts?

451031[/snapback]

TJ, the powers of observation there make a guy's head spin.

Those numbers are scattered around everywhere in the show. But before you think me all uppity, I too missed some of them, especially in the finale episode during Hurley's run through the terminal (i.e. the soccer team jerseys). Some of them are obvious, some are a little subliminal.

I won't be complaining to see M-Rod again. She seemed like a really cool character. Very forward, understanding in an it-is-what-it-is way, not hung up on the past. I'm just a little leery of having expectations b/w her and Jack, romantically. The writers have been hunting at an eventual Jack-Kate pairing. I keep wondering how this can be when she keeps doing things that he's so set against.

On the subject of Kate, tho, in last night's ep I was shouting out at Locke, "You a-hole!" when he volunteered her to go down the hatch first. Exactly the same thing as the plane and Boone. He wants the results and not to wait around, but he fobs off the serious risks to others. But I'm also wanting to become less of a critic of Locke as Public Enemy No. 1 (and maybe as a misunderstood but not wholly pure hero) as more of the characters are having their own flashes of things happening to them --- particularly Claire seeing the baby rocker and Shannon last night.

to throw another theory out there....

it is accepted that walt has some kind of supernatural power. the extent of those powers is a relative unknown at this point. the idea i had was that maybe walt was able to "project" himself into places. in other words, his body is in one place but he projects his "spirit" to another place. perhaps he was sending the message to shannon to help the rest of the survivors. to tie into that, perhaps he was whispering because the people that kidnapped walt were around and he didn't want to get caught. speaking backwards could just be another "encryption" that walt used just in case they heard him.

on a slightly different note (this JUST came to me as i was typing the thing about walt), maybe walt ends up becoming one of "them" (one of the people from the boat) and uses his powers against the survivors. that would set up an epic battle between walt and claire's baby - remember her baby is supposed to be something special too. hmmm

now we have to wait til wednesday:( and this weeks show will probably do NOTHING to answer any of the questions that have come up from this week. if anything, more questions will be raised....but THAT is why we keep coming back

to throw another theory out there....

it is accepted that walt has some kind of supernatural power.  the extent of those powers is a relative unknown at this point.  the idea i had was that maybe walt was able to "project" himself into places.  in other words, his body is in one place but he projects his "spirit" to another place.  perhaps he was sending the message to shannon to help the rest of the survivors.  to tie into that, perhaps he was whispering because the people that kidnapped walt were around and he didn't want to get caught.  speaking backwards could just be another "encryption" that walt used just in case they heard him.

on a slightly different note (this JUST came to me as i was typing the thing about walt), maybe walt ends up becoming one of "them" (one of the people from the boat) and uses his powers against the survivors.  that would set up an epic battle between walt and claire's baby - remember her baby is supposed to be something special too. hmmm

now we have to wait til wednesday:( and this weeks show will probably do NOTHING to answer any of the questions that have come up from this week.  if anything, more questions will be raised....but THAT is why we keep coming back

452281[/snapback]

I like your theory, makes sense. I think Walt left Vincent with Shannon for a specific reason. Walt is obviously pyschic and maybe he knew Shannon has those untapped powers as well, even if she doesn't as well.

that would set up an epic battle between walt and claire's baby - remember her baby is supposed to be something special too.

452281[/snapback]

Interesting thought, as they apparently turned Alex into one of them (the accepted speculation being that she was the blonde who threw the Molotov cocktail onto the raft)....

However, I think Claire's baby would be the one wearing the black hat. I finally saw that ep when I got the DVD, and the psychic really seemed shocked at the first reading, and then kept calling Claire to tell her that she must raise the baby and have her kind soul be a part of his upbringing to negate his evil(?) tendencies, b/c if anyone else did, the consequences were.... And that's where he danced around the specifics, but the consequences sure didn't appear good. And that's why he sent her on the flight; kind of like that moral dilemma of if you were able to kill Hitler when he was a baby.

My face has been in a permanent :lol: all week as I'm still mindf--king what Desmond meant by "Race around the world." And the phrase "You have to lift it up" will have some relevance later on; it wasn't stressed and repeated for no reason.

My face has been in a permanent :lol: all week as I'm still mindf--king what Desmond meant by "Race around the world." And the phrase "You have to lift it up" will have some relevance later on; it wasn't stressed and repeated for no reason.

452337[/snapback]

My initial reaction to the "you have to lift it up" statement was that Desmond was referencing the hatch. I may be completely off base but it was my immediate thought when he said it. I must say, however, that I was shocked to actually realize it was him inside the hatch. I thought the first scene was a flashback of Sawyer. This show just keeps getting better.

My initial reaction to the "you have to lift it up" statement was that Desmond was referencing the hatch. I may be completely off base but it was my immediate thought when he said it. I must say, however, that I was shocked to actually realize it was him inside the hatch. I thought the first scene was a flashback of Sawyer. This show just keeps getting better.

452477[/snapback]

I think the lift it up was more of a spiritual reference meant to highlight the wole man of science vs man of faith theme (the episode title was "Man of science Man of faith") and I think the fact that Jack had no idea whatsoever what Desmond meant by this reference clearly underscored which he is.

On a totally seperate note I have this theory I want to float here that may seem totally off the wall, but hey... if it pans out as being true then I'm a genious right?? :lol: I'm thinking it's not just a figure of speach when Desmond refers to jack as "brother" I think somewhere down the line it will come ot that he is jacks half brother.

Feel free to shoot my theory full of holes :lol:

slothrop Posted Sep 22 2005, 01:07 PM

QUOTE(Talonz @ Sep 22 2005, 11:04 AM)

REALLY funny parts as well...When Sawyer called Jin "Sulu"..MUAHAHAHAH

He also called Sayed "Captain Falafal."

Ah yes, you gotta love Sawyer's nicknames:

Jack:"Doc" "Jack-Ass"

Kate:"Freckles"

Sayid:"Captain Falafal" "Al-Jazeera"

Jin:"Sulu" "Bruce"

Sun:"Betty" (I still do not understand this one)

Shannon:"Sticks"

Walt:"Tattoo" "Short Round"

Claire:"Mamasita"(sp)

Ethan:"Jungle Boy"

One of my favorites is Sawyer calling Michael & Jin "Han & Chewie" in the "Exodus" episode.

Can anyone add to this list? I don't know the other names for Hurley, Michael, Charlie, Locke, or Boone.

Ah yes, you gotta love Sawyer's nicknames:

Jack:"Doc" "Jack-Ass"

Kate:"Freckles"

Sayid:"Captain Falafal" "Al-Jazeera"

Jin:"Sulu" "Bruce"

Sun:"Betty" (I still do not understand this one)

Shannon:"Sticks"

Walt:"Tattoo" "Short Round"

Claire:"Mamasita"(sp)

Ethan:"Jungle Boy"

One of my favorites is Sawyer calling Michael & Jin "Han & Chewie" in the "Exodus" episode.

Can anyone add to this list? I don't know the other names for Hurley, Michael, Charlie, Locke, or Boone.

452528[/snapback]

Han and Chewie!! I fogot that one :lol::lol::P;)

My initial reaction to the "you have to lift it up" statement was that Desmond was referencing the hatch.  I may be completely off base but it was my immediate thought when he said it.  I must say, however, that I was shocked to actually realize it was him inside the hatch.  I thought the first scene was a flashback of Sawyer.  This show just keeps getting better.

=====

I think the lift it up was more of a spiritual reference meant to highlight the wole man of science vs man of faith theme  (the episode title was "Man of science Man of faith") and I think the fact that Jack had no idea whatsoever what Desmond meant by this reference clearly underscored which he is.

I've just been wondering now whether it refers to that button. Maybe you have to lift it up, instead of pressing it down, as Walt was saying....? I don't think it's just (or, even) about spiritual belief; I got the impression that there was some specific thing being mentioned.

Can't wait for Wed.

I think the lift it up was more of a spiritual reference meant to highlight the wole man of science vs man of faith theme  (the episode title was "Man of science Man of faith") and I think the fact that Jack had no idea whatsoever what Desmond meant by this reference clearly underscored which he is.

On a totally seperate note I have this theory I want to float here that may seem totally off the wall, but hey... if it pans out as being true then I'm a genious right??  :(  I'm thinking it's not just a figure of speach when Desmond refers to jack as "brother"  I think somewhere down the line it will come ot that he is jacks half brother.

Feel free to shoot my theory full of holes  <_<

452490[/snapback]

I like the brothers theory. There must have been a reason Jack's dad flew to Australia before drinking himself to death. Maybe there was someone he wanted to see one last time - possibly Desmond, possibly his mother.