Play-action

scribo

At least Coach Mularkey figured it out.

Here's a quote from "Ask the Coach":

Mike Stanzione (Rutherford, NJ): Tough loss. One thing I noticed about the playcalling so far is that you guys haven't utilized the play-action that much. It seemed like it's be a good weapon with this offense, especially with defenses trying to lock down on Willis McGahee. Will we be seeing more play-actions in the near future to try and open things up for both J.P. Losman and McGahee?

Mike Mularkey: We ran a number of play-action fakes against the Texans and I will admit we probably didn't run enough Sunday. We should have gotten more in.

Against the Texans I thought J.P. made some very good pump fakes, fake handoffs, etc. But I recall seeing one, maybe two pump fakes in Tampa Bay. Now, of course, you need a little time from the o-line to make the normal play-action work, but there are ways to vary it up to make it work even with a soid passrush.

I feel play-action can be a strength for J.P., so I am looking forward to seeing more of it against the Falcons.

At least Coach Mularkey figured it out.

Here's a quote from "Ask the Coach":

Against the Texans I thought J.P. made some very good pump fakes, fake handoffs, etc. But I recall seeing one, maybe two pump fakes in Tampa Bay. Now, of course, you need a little time from the o-line to make the normal play-action work, but there are ways to vary it up to make it work even with a soid passrush.

I feel play-action can be a strength for J.P., so I am looking forward to seeing more of it against the Falcons.

447835[/snapback]

Problem is no one will bite on the play action if we don't establish the running game. And then JP will be nailed for a big loss.

Problem is no one will bite on the play action if we don't establish the running game. And then JP will be nailed for a big loss.

447879[/snapback]

The Houston game had J.P. pump faking to the left immediately after the snap then roll to the right and handoff to McGahee. The next play he'd pop up from the snap and actually throw it. It kept the Texans forzen in place all day. Play-action does not have to be the protype: QB turns, fakes handoff, throws.

Watch Sunday and I hope we'll see what I'm talking about.

In an effort to simplify the playbook, the Bills took all play action passes in Sunday's game against Tampa. "We really felt as if JP was thinking too much about play action passing, so we just took it out of the playbook. We have no problem with letting JP take chances, throw into triple coverage, or running out of the endzone. As long as he's not confused" Commented Bills Coach Mike Mularkey.

The Houston game had J.P. pump faking to the left immediately after the snap then roll to the right and handoff to McGahee. The next play he'd pop up from the snap and actually throw it. It kept the Texans forzen in place all day. Play-action does not have to be the protype: QB turns, fakes handoff, throws.

Watch Sunday and I hope we'll see what I'm talking about.

447903[/snapback]

There was one play in the middle of the first quarter of the Texans game where the Bills lined up with three backs behind Losman. Anyone remember this? If I recall right, JP took the snap, turned, faked a handoff, spun, faked another handoff to the next guy, and then threw to Evans down the right sideline, complete for 17 yards.

I loved that play and kept waiting for the Bills to do something creative like it last Sunday. Nothing.

In an effort to simplify the playbook, the Bills took all play action passes in Sunday's game against Tampa.  "We really felt as if JP was thinking too much about play action passing, so we just took it out of the playbook.  We have no problem with letting JP take chances, throw into triple coverage, or running out of the endzone.  As long as he's not confused" Commented Bills Coach Mike Mularkey.

448227[/snapback]

Ah, yes, good thing TC, SW and MM did that or we may have had a real disaster. :)