best pizza in WNY?

grammer_police

growing up in Niagara Falls there were two things the city is known for- chemical dumping and great pizza. Sammy's and Buzzy's are really good but the best is a little place called the Pizza Oven on Niagara St. Take out only. Problem is they close from June to mid September every year. Owner goes on vacation somewhere.

Pizza is the best. Lines are out the door on any given friday or saturday night.

441852[/snapback]

I also grew up in NF and I agree but you have to add Greenwalds my personnal favorite the best kept secret...................shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. The price is unbeleivable.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well outside of Italy anyway?

Or your world of Buffalo, SoCal and Denver.  And SoCal and Denver or absolute havens for the best in Italian food.  :(

443179[/snapback]

The north end in Boston and Fed Hill in Providence have some unbeleivable Italian restauraunts. Italy has the best food in the world IMO

I'm trying to think what building they are in that I would have known but right now I'm not picturing any. 

On another note there was a pizza place off of Buffalo Ave when you were heading out of town.  Past Hooker, just past the firestation. There was a restaurant on the corner. Take a left go about two blocks.  The place was called Mom's.  Greatest sliced pizza I've ever had.  Was square cut into squares.  In the 60's it was 10cents a slice.  I believe this may have been Buzzi's parents.  Buzzi's sauce has a similar taste.

442046[/snapback]

It was on 56th and yes it was the owner of Buzzy's mom's place I hung around his son when I was a kid. A roll was a nickle and it was great. The bread(crust) made the pizza the sauce was sweet and you always got 4 pepperoni's on each slice.

There use to be a pizza oven on Buffalo Ave in LaSalle...............

Or that small city that has been known to do some fairly decent Italian food.  NEW YORK!!!

443184[/snapback]

NYC has plenty of great pizza and Italian food. Problem is, they also have plenty of garbage. The typical slice in NYC is pretty awful. But, I've had terrific pizza there. I really like Angelo's on 57th.

I'm trying to think what building they are in that I would have known but right now I'm not picturing any. 

On another note there was a pizza place off of Buffalo Ave when you were heading out of town.  Past Hooker, just past the firestation. There was a restaurant on the corner. Take a left go about two blocks.  The place was called Mom's.  Greatest sliced pizza I've ever had.  Was square cut into squares.  In the 60's it was 10cents a slice.  I believe this may have been Buzzi's parents.  Buzzi's sauce has a similar taste.

442046[/snapback]

It was on 56th and yes it was the owner of Buzzy's mom's place I hung around his son when I was a kid. A roll was a nickle and it was great. The bread(crust) made the pizza the sauce was sweet and you always got 4 pepperoni's on each slice.

There use to be a pizza oven on Buffalo Ave in LaSalle...............

With no questions, Trusello's Pizza in Niagara Falls. It is not there anymore but the pizza they had was the best. It was old fashion style and was baked perfectly. Im getting hungry just thinking about it. Rocket's on Pine Avenue has the recipe but it is not the same. It's very good but not what Trusellos was.

Well outside of Italy anyway?

Or your world of Buffalo, SoCal and Denver.  And SoCal and Denver or absolute havens for the best in Italian food.  ;)

443179[/snapback]

Hong Kong has some EXCELLENT Italian, as well as French restaraunts. Who would have thought?

in Olean it's Renna's for the thin NY style.  The sauce isn't that thick dark red paste.  All homemade.

442757[/snapback]

I'll give the 2nd shout out for great hometown pizza. I killed one for lunch with a co-worker the other day, and went to meet you Cindy, but you were out that day.

With no questions, Trusello's Pizza in Niagara Falls. It is not there anymore but the pizza they had was the best. It was old fashion style and was baked perfectly. Im getting hungry just thinking about it. Rocket's on Pine Avenue has the recipe but it is not the same. It's very good but not what Trusellos was.

443329[/snapback]

And how 'bout the bread?!!!! Why would they ever close a great place like that? I can still remember the smell of the place like it was yesterday.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Pinzone's on Main St. near the Queen City Book store and PJ Bottoms. I've eaten many a slice from there after a night out at PJ's. I was back in Buffalo this year, and went there for lunch, but they had sold the place, and don't sell pizza anymore. Very disappinting.

I'm in the Rochester area. I love pizza with a lot of toppings: Pepperoni, onions, mushrooms, pineapple, ham, bacon, greem peppers, cheese.

Most Pizza joins charge a lot for each topping, but the more toppings you ask for the less of each topping you get.

Is there a place around where you have to eat the pizza with a knife, fork, and serving spoon because the toppings are soooooo thick??????

I'm in the Rochester area. I love pizza with a lot of toppings: Pepperoni, onions, mushrooms, pineapple, ham, bacon, greem peppers, cheese.

Most Pizza joins charge a lot for each topping, but the more toppings you ask for the less of each topping you get.

Is there a place around where you have to eat the pizza with a knife, fork, and serving spoon because the toppings are soooooo thick??????

443873[/snapback]

My place, but I don't live up there. Home made crust, sauce and all. Traditional red (about a dozen toppings, depends on the mood) and also a 5 cheese based white sauce with seafood as a theme. Ever try lobster, shrimp, crab and smoked sausage pizza? Sliced shallots, shaved garlic and baby portabello mushrooms.

Now I'm hungry. Damn.