(OT) Wife's wallet stolen

Notify the credit companies (like Equifax). Have them put a note on both of your credit reports. Also block them from running credit without confirmation that it's actually one of you requesting credit.

Other than that, call the police and have her get a new card - they won't issue a new number unless there are extreme circumstances. And for God's sake, tell her to leave her SS card at home from now on. There's no reason in the world she would need to keep it with her on a daily basis.

My wife also had a bank debit (VISA) card. It hasn't worked for her in awhile. I've never used the debit feature, but IIRC, you need to enter a PIN number, right? I'm going to cancel it tomorrow, but I'm pretty safe overnight because of the need for a PIN and the fact that it doesn't work, right? Thanks for the help so far.

My wife also had a bank debit (VISA) card.  It hasn't worked for her in awhile.  I've never used the debit feature, but IIRC, you need to enter a PIN number, right?  I'm going to cancel it tomorrow, but I'm pretty safe overnight because of the need for a PIN and the fact that it doesn't work, right?  Thanks for the help so far.

440785[/snapback]

Right...but call it in immediately anyway, since you then shouldn't be liable for much (if anything) that might be charged after you report it. Sure, it's PIN secured...but guessing a 4-digit number is not completely outside the realm of possibility. Unlikely, but not impossible. And just maybe it decides to work tonight...I know if it were me, with my luck, it would. :doh:

Need some help.  The wife had her wallet stolen at work.  I've contacted the credit card companies so that's fine.  But she had her social security card in there as well.  Anyone know what I can do about that?  Does she need to get a new number or what?  Thanks.

440764[/snapback]

Seriously look into this: https://www.econsumer.equifax.com/consumer/...ward=esn_detail

SS card in her purse?  :D

Should be home locked in a safe

440821[/snapback]

What about her driver's licence and medical insurance cards, etc? A lot of those have a SS # printed on them. She might as well slacks exclusively and carry money in her front pockets. She'll need to live w/o makeup too. :doh:

My wife also had a bank debit (VISA) card.  It hasn't worked for her in awhile.  I've never used the debit feature, but IIRC, you need to enter a PIN number, right?  I'm going to cancel it tomorrow, but I'm pretty safe overnight because of the need for a PIN and the fact that it doesn't work, right?  Thanks for the help so far.

440785[/snapback]

You can also use it as a "credit card". Any place that takes VISA will take that. You don't need a pin number. Haklf the stores will not check signatures, and if anyone uses it online, there's no way for the place of business to verify that it is not her.

Call your bank ASAP.

You can also use it as a "credit card". Any place that takes VISA will take that. You don't need a pin number. Haklf the stores will not check signatures, and if anyone uses it online, there's no way for the place of business to verify that it is not her.

Call your bank ASAP.

440944[/snapback]

Yep. And think of all the self-serve checkouts that stores have put in lately. Plus "pay-at-the-pump" for gas.

Had this happen to me in Canada about two years ago.

1. Obviously call and inform all your credit cards and bank companies IMMEDIATELY ... DO NOT WAIT. I had someone try to use my card 15 minutes after it was stolen. Luckily I realized it and called before.

2. Call each of the three credit agencies and put a fraud alert on your SSN. For four months, if anyone including yourself wants to open a line of credit anywhere, the credit agencies won't allow it until they call you at your home phone number and verify it with you.

3. If she had her SS# in her wallet, call the SS Administration and inform them.

That's really all you can do.

Do what the others say. 

But on a different note, you're old enough to get married?  I never would have guessed.

Yep, been married 8 years. Try it sometime (the marriage part, much less for 8 years).

Thanks for the help everyone, and here's the outcome. I got a call around 9:00 from a guy looking for "Mr. MadBuffaloDisease." Figuring it was a telemarketer, I said "not home." He said he owns an ice cream shop (near where my wife works) and that he found a wallet with no money but everything else in it. I said "great, I'll be right down." Get there and a nice older couple was just closing up shop and we shot the breeze for a little. Tried to offer him a $20 tip which they refused, and instead said I'd bring the wife and kids down for ice cream in the next day or two. Get home to find that her 3 credit cards were stolen as was the money she had (about $60). Her license was in there and looked untouched, and the SS card was behind it, so I figure that wasn't touched either. Everything else like bank card, store credit cards, insurance cards, photos, receipts (she saves EVERY receipt she gets!), and other tripe was still in there. So I figure we're good since I already cancelled the credit cards and they were probably too stupid and/or fixated on the cash to care about the license and SS card. Thank goodness.