Beating Pittsburgh last year did not mean playoffs

I posted something like this before, so I apologize if I am beating a dead horse.

I still keep reading that the Bills would've made the playoffs if they'd beaten the Steelers in last year's regular season finale. The truth is, if the Bills won and the Jets won, the Jets made the playoffs because of a tiebreaker. The Jets were in OT against the Rams when the Bills game ended. The Jets could've won that game, but you could see a change in their demeanor on the sideline. They played a conservative overtime, and the Rams beat them.

Nothing is certain, neither the concept that the Bills would've made the playoffs by winning, or that the Jets would've won in overtime in St. Louis. Because St. Louis was also playing for a spot in the playoffs, anything could've happened. But I'm saying that the Jets were a much better team than the Rams, and I happen to believe from watching the game that they would've pulled it out, and the Bills beating the Steelers would've been rendered somewhat meaningless.

And I further contend that the loss gave them extra off season motivation to come out strong this year and make the playoffs.

So there.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah seriously... if the bills would have won (they didn't) and received help from the rams (which they did) they would have been in. If the bills would have lost, they were out no matter what. The bills lost. They bit the big one. They choked. They whatever. Bottom line is, win and your in, lose and go home. They lost, bledsoe threw out his children's bills clothes, end of story.

The Bills make me wanna shout! Kick your heels up and shout! Throw your hands up and shout! Throw your head back and shout! C'mon now, the Bills are makin' it happen now. Stand up now c'mon and shout! Yea-ea-eah!

Say you will - Shout it right now baby. Say you will - C'mon, c'mon. Say you will - C'mon and shout. Say you will - Yea-ea-eah!

Shout! Buffalo's happenin' now - Shout! We're on the move now - Shout! The Bills are happenin' now Shout! They're making it happen now - Shout! We've got the spirit - Shout! A lot of spirit - Yeah! Shout! We've got the spirit - Shout! Just watch it happen now!

Hey-ey-ey-ey! Hey-ey-ey-ey! Hey-ey-ey-ey! Hey-ey-ey-ey!

Let's go Buffalo! Let's go Buffalo! Let's go Buffalo! Let's go Buffalo!

The Bills make me wanna shout! Kick your heels up and shout! Throw your hands up and shout! Throw your head back and shout! C'mon now, the Bills are makin' it happen now. Stand up now c'mon and shout! Yea-ea-eah!

Say you will - Shout it right now baby. Say you will - C'mon, c'mon. Say you will - C'mon and shout. Say you will - Yea-ea-eah!

Shout! Buffalo's happenin' now - Shout! We're on the move now - Shout! The Bills are happenin' now Shout! They're making it happen now - Shout! We've got the spirit - Shout! A lot of spirit - Yeah! Shout! We've got the spirit - Shout! Just watch it happen now!

Hey-ey-ey-ey! Hey-ey-ey-ey! Hey-ey-ey-ey! Hey-ey-ey-ey!

Let's go Buffalo! Let's go Buffalo! Let's go Buffalo! Let's go Buffalo!

435684[/snapback]

What he said!

The important thing for us also in considering this is that the Bills had to know and perform based on the knowledge that if they did not win we would be eliminated. The Bills problems with their performance and response to reality in this game was completely the same whether the Jets won or loss in that the necessity on our part was that WE win and we did not do that.

The FACT and REALITY that the Jets loss merely makes it a reality that IF the Bills had won with the other occurences which happened in reality they would have made the playoffs.

Would reality have been the same if reality were different? No. However this is why fantasy considerations and actually your point are meaningless.

The reality which is meaningful and I think is the point that folks are making is that the Bills were in a must-win game against Pitts and lost. This is the key relevant point which people are making and your point does not change that point based on reality one iota.

I posted something like this before, so I apologize if I am beating a dead horse. 

I still keep reading that the Bills would've made the playoffs if they'd beaten the Steelers in last year's regular season finale.  The truth is, if the Bills won and the Jets won, the Jets made the playoffs because of a tiebreaker.  The Jets were in OT against the Rams when the Bills game ended.  The Jets could've won that game, but you could see a change in their demeanor on the sideline.  They played a conservative overtime, and the Rams beat them.

Nothing is certain, neither the concept that the Bills would've made the playoffs by winning, or that the Jets would've won in overtime in St. Louis.  Because St. Louis was also playing for a spot in the playoffs, anything could've happened.  But I'm saying that the Jets were a much better team than the Rams, and I happen to believe from watching the game that they would've pulled it out, and the Bills beating the Steelers would've been rendered somewhat meaningless.

And I further contend that the loss gave them extra off season motivation to come out strong this year and make the playoffs.

So there.

435387[/snapback]

Good point but I still have to disagree there. Like some have said the Jets still lost the game. Buffalo had their chance and didn't get it done. This year is a new year.

Did I miss something? We didn't make the playoffs again this year? I knew I was going to drink a lot at the opener, but I don't even remember the season. God I have to stop this heavy drinking.

What? Oh, you idiots are still talking about last year.

I'd like to thank the majority of you who responded for not understanding what I wrote. I also want to thank that guy who called me an idiot.

The Bills game was over and the Jets were congratulating each other on the sidelines, and then let the Rams win.

Anybody who think last year's Rams were better than the Jets doesn't know much about the Rams. They had a horrible defense, as displayed in the playoffs by Atlanta running thru them like they weren't on the field.

That notwithstanding, I am saying that the loss was a good thing, because it gave them a giant chip on their shoulders for the offseason, and they have used that loss as extra motivation. HAD THEY WON THE GAME AND NOT MADE THE PLAYOFFS, THEY WOULD BE MARCHING AROUND ON THE WINGS OF A 10-6 SEASON. THE MOTIVATION WOULD NOT BE THERE.

As I said, I'm sick of reading that had they beat Pittsburgh they would've made the playoffs. Even though the Rams won in overtime, had the Jets had to win the game, I think they would've found a way.

What I could accept is, the Bills losing the final game eliminated them from the playoffs. Which is the opposite of saying had the Bills won they would've made the playoffs.

Based on the final finish of every team, if standings were computed based on us winning the game, then we would have made the playoffs...

People use statistics to highlight their point...One cannot say what really

happened in the Jets game....When players are in the game flow, they are

not going to let down...Bottom line was they had a stinker kicer for the

Jets who cost them the last regular season game as well as their playoffs

game against the steelers.

I still keep reading that the Bills would've made the playoffs if they'd beaten the Steelers in last year's regular season finale.  The truth is, if the Bills won and the Jets won, the Jets made the playoffs because of a tiebreaker.  The Jets were in OT against the Rams when the Bills game ended.  The Jets could've won that game, but you could see a change in their demeanor on the sideline.  They played a conservative overtime, and the Rams beat them.

Nothing is certain, neither the concept that the Bills would've made the playoffs by winning, or that the Jets would've won in overtime in St. Louis.  Because St. Louis was also playing for a spot in the playoffs, anything could've happened.  But I'm saying that the Jets were a much better team than the Rams, and I happen to believe from watching the game that they would've pulled it out, and the Bills beating the Steelers would've been rendered somewhat meaningless.

So there.

435387[/snapback]

That is one of the most stupid things I ever heard.

If Buffalo won, they would have been in the 2005 playoffs.

Give it a rest.