Some Facts on the Hurricane

Mickey

Yeah, I guess facts do suck.......

Mickey failed to paste the first paragraph of the Act.

434847[/snapback]

So what you are saying is that she didn't say please? Like I said before, probably didn't have any carbon-paper to file it in triplicate?

Basically FEMA was there under the FRP and did nothing because of this? What a bureacracy we have become.

Early on I remember seeing the request made by the gov. on Monday... It was posted here... The day Katrina hit. Was that not good enough? Didn't provide all the details for FEMA to move? Did you see it?

Dang, there I go again. More stupid questions!

This makes the DMV and registering my vehicle look like a walk in the park.

Again, I will play my sig...

:unsure:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I guess facts do suck.......

Mickey failed to paste the first paragraph of the Act.

434847[/snapback]

Why don't you check and see when that disaster was declared and then compare it with how long it took for then for FEMA etc, to use the authority thereby conferred. She made the appropriate declaration on the 26th and the next day asked the President to as well. Bush acted in response and made his own declaration thereby activating all the authority etc, that is contained in the Stafford Act, etc.

Now, if your point is that she should have made that declaration and request sooner, fine but the fact is she made the declaration and request long before people started dying at the convention center. I left out that paragraph for that reason, it's not an issue in the "did Bush have any or enough authority?" question. The act was satisfied on the 26th at the earliest or the morning of the 27th at the latest. Strangely, the White House press release is dated 8/27 but says it is declaring an emergency beginning on 8/26 ?@@?.

Why don't you check and see when that disaster was declared and then compare it with how long it took for then for FEMA etc, to use the authority thereby conferred.  She made the appropriate declaration on the 26th and the next day asked the President to as well.  Bush acted in response and made his own declaration thereby activating all the authority etc, that is contained in the Stafford Act, etc. 

Now, if your point is that she should have made that declaration and request sooner, fine but the fact is she made the declaration and request long before people started dying at the convention center.  I left out that paragraph for that reason, it's not an issue in the "did Bush have any or enough authority?" question.  The act was satisfied on the 26th at the earliest or the morning of the 27th at the latest.  Strangely, the White House press release is dated 8/27 but says it is declaring an emergency beginning on 8/26 ?@@?.

434882[/snapback]

Here is the letter to the prez... Dated 8-28-05... One day before the storm.

I thought it was the day OF the strom... In fact it was sooner.

Stafford Sec. 401

Everything is in there... Funding, etc... Everything that Eryn pasted from the opening paragraph Sec. 401.

It is a 4 page letter to the prez. Mike in Syracuse originally posted it in his thread.

Thanks Mike.

All I can figure out is that they didn't say pretty please and submit it in June, so the bureacracy could get a handle on it.

Maybe, the administration should get Lexmark to handle its document management? Things can get pretty complicated.

:lol::lol:

Understand that I am slowly coming to the opinion that lots and lots of people from Brown to Bush and Blano to Nagin screwed up and need to spend their fair share of time in the public stocks.  Not just George, all of these f**kers.

Now you're making sense. Things of this magnitude usually take a concerted effort to screw up.

Here is the letter to the prez... Dated 8-28-05... One day before the storm.

I thought it was the day OF the strom... In fact it was sooner.

Stafford Sec. 401

434921[/snapback]

Maybe I'm missing something, but when I read this all I see is a request for more money than usual to support state efforts and then federal help in cleaning up debris. This letter doesn't seem to address the issues that people are raising with regards to FEMA's involvement with food, water, shelter, and evacuation.

Maybe I'm missing something, but when I read this all I see is a request for more money than usual to support state efforts and then federal help in cleaning up debris.  This letter doesn't seem to address the issues that people are raising with regards to FEMA's involvement with food, water, shelter, and evacuation.

435253[/snapback]

Well then something is screwed up.

According to the press release date 8-29... At about 1400 stating that my agency is responsible for Ice in the state of La.

They were supposed to cover ice, water, immediate loss of life, human suffering, temporary housing, etc...

It explains even the distribution network that exists in Memphis.

Now something must be wrong... Because if Blanco never said "pretty please"... Why were agencies mustering out according to the Stafford Act?

???

Something is amiss.

Maybe I'm missing something, but when I read this all I see is a request for more money than usual to support state efforts and then federal help in cleaning up debris.  This letter doesn't seem to address the issues that people are raising with regards to FEMA's involvement with food, water, shelter, and evacuation.

435253[/snapback]

You need to read the rest of the act and the authority once an expected "major disaster" declared. All sorts of authority for the President and the feds is triggered once that declaration is made. To insure that the feds don't use a hyped impending disaster as a pretext to start trampling all over the state, only the governor can get a major disaster declared by asking the President to do so. Which she did. From that point on, I think the feds had just about all the authority they needed to kick some butt.