Does anybody else...

Buffalove

okay, enough with the misinterpretations. here's what donahoe said (quoted by VA above):

"I'm also not prepared to say that if we don't make the playoffs that it's a bad year."

how is that the same thing as saying "it's ok if we don't make the playoffs?"

what if the bills go 10-6 (an improvement over last season) but miss out on a wild card because of a tiebreaker? does that mean the season was a failure?

put another way -- if bledsoe was the starting QB this year would the bills be picked to win the division? of course not. so they'd be competing for a wildcard in everyone's eyes, even with bledsoe. so where's the difference now?

you guys are reading waaaaaay too much into TD's comments. it would be ridiculous for him to come out and say anything different.

By the way, I don't even know what this original post was about.  I've heard nothing but confidence from players and coaches.  They all want to clean up the mess they made against Pitts last year.

431923[/snapback]

That's all we've heard for four seasons. Hell, Bledsoe's "confidence" would have had you think he was Manning in disguise.

What do you expect the team to say? We suck and we know it! I'm not saying we do, but sheeet, figure that out on your own. The day we have a coach or GM or even player that thinks we're gonna be bad, then get rid of that lockerroom cancer. You keep that stuff behind closed doors.

Is there a team in the league wiht players being quoted as thinking they have no shot? Maybe there is, but I'll show you a bunch of self admitted losers then.

I think we should pack it in right now. Why even bother playing it out. Refund everyone's ticket money and spend the season watching positive things on the football field, like Terrell Owens. Perhaps Mr. Wilson can even get in a few more tennis matches.

And by the way, Losman's name obviously is misspelled. It's really Loss man.

What really kills me is if he went the other way and said we'll make the playoffs, the same assclowns would be complaining that he lied to us and built our expectations up and sold us a bag of goods and knew we weren't good enough but just wanted to sell seats and save his own ass because of his ego.

You are what you are and right now although we're 0-0 we have a penalty problem and an offense problem heading into the season. 

431961[/snapback]

The difference is I see 0-0 as undefeated. You see it as winless. Let the guy play a real game before calling for him to be pulled...

Teams keyed on Willis last year.  Nobody was scared of Bledsoe beating them.  Willis, Shelton, and the OL know what 8 in the box looks like.  They'll be fine.

431923[/snapback]

I don't see how all the opposing blitzing will make our line fine. <_< DB couldn't run but they respected his arm.

I don't see how all the opposing blitzing will make our line fine.    <_<    DB couldn't run but they respected his arm.

432182[/snapback]

:lol:0:):)

WTF does that mean? Bledsoe didn't get blitzed? I don't know what you were watching last year. Teams knew if they blitzed, they would know where to find DB. At least this year we will have a QB equipped to maybe make a play, or at least get out of the pocket and hum it OB and avoid a sack when there is a jailbreak through the line.

Willis gained 1100 yards in 11 games last year. T. Henry over 1300 the previous two. I think teams can stack the box all they want, the Bills will find a way to run on them. It may be three to four yds at a time but that is how the team is built right now. RB, Punter, and D are our greatest assets right now.

I expect teams to blitz JP, just like teams have been blitzing us for the past three years, and just like the Bills D does to every QB. I just think JP has the ability to make the line look better than DB did.

okay, enough with the misinterpretations.  here's what donahoe said (quoted by VA above):

"I'm also not prepared to say that if we don't make the playoffs that it's a bad year."

how is that the same thing as saying "it's ok if we don't make the playoffs?"

what if the bills go 10-6 (an improvement over last season) but miss out on a wild card because of a tiebreaker?  does that mean the season was a failure?

put another way -- if bledsoe was the starting QB this year would the bills be picked to win the division?  of course not.  so they'd be competing for a wildcard in everyone's eyes, even with bledsoe.  so where's the difference now?

you guys are reading waaaaaay too much into TD's comments.  it would be ridiculous for him to come out and say anything different.

432011[/snapback]

Let's clear this up right now. It is a bad year if you don't make the playoffs. Every team in the NFL should be thinking that way. Do you think Marv Levy or Kelly thought it was a good season or even an okay one if they didn't make the playoffs? Mediocrity is for suckers.

If by their actions, management is saying Bledsoe was one the main reason we didn't make the playoffs last year, then what's the excuse when he's no longer on the team and you still don't make the playoffs? Wilson won't stand for it and he's made that pretty clear by giving TD such a lame extension.

<_<  :lol:  0:)

WTF does that mean?  Bledsoe didn't get blitzed?  I don't know what you were watching last year.  Teams knew if they blitzed, they would know where to find DB.  At least this year we will have a QB equipped to maybe make a play, or at least get out of the pocket and hum it OB and avoid a sack when there is a jailbreak through the line.

Willis gained 1100 yards in 11 games last year.  T. Henry over 1300 the previous two.  I think teams can stack the box all they want, the Bills will find a way to run on them.  It may be three to four yds at a time but that is how the team is built right now.  RB, Punter, and D are our greatest assets right now. 

I expect teams to blitz JP, just like teams have been blitzing us for the past three years, and just like the Bills D does to every QB.  I just think JP has the ability to make the line look better than DB did.

432196[/snapback]

Having to face the rush attack of PGH and BAL 4 times a season, the B'gals played a bunch of the so-called 8 in the box. They got murdered when a back got through and it was off to the races.

It has its uses, but God help ya if and when the back gets daylight.

Let's clear this up right now.  It is a bad year if you don't make the playoffs.  Every team in the NFL should be thinking that way.  Do you think Marv Levy or Kelly thought it was a good season or even an okay one if they didn't make the playoffs?  Mediocrity is for suckers.

432256[/snapback]

i disagree. yes, every team should strive for the playoffs (super bowl, really). but if you haven't been to the playoffs in 5 years, it's not reasonable to "expect" to get there. if the patriots, colts, or eagles don't make the playoffs this season (an example more in line w/ your kelly/levy comment), then yes, it was a bad year for those teams.

it's not about accepting mediocrity. it's about realizing that improvement in steps is acceptable. but for a few instances, teams don't go from the outhouse to the penthouse in 1 or 2 years. accepting consistent improvement along the way is hardly "settling" for mediocrity.

this current bills team is really 2-3 years in the making. it is reasonable to expect more improvement this season. TD and MM expect that and have said as much. it is silly to think that they would come out and say "PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!" at this juncture, however.

Better to kill yourself now and get it over with rather than sit through Losman running around the field like its a flag football game.  That is until he gets his head taken off for being tuff stuff and too cool to slide.  While I realize Losman is essentially a rookie, you can tell he hasn't really done much to inspire confidence or production into the offense. 

431961[/snapback]

completely disagree. Go back and watch JP's preseason, then figure in the amount of penalties commited by the O and the amount of very catchable dropped passes by our WR's, RB's and TE's and you can see JP actually did very well in preseason. Yes he had some mistakes and a few bad plays, but overall he has looked better then some people want to believe.

You can even add in the amount of 2nd string players that made it into the starting rotation for evaluation purposes. JP will be the Bills QB for the next 5 or so years IMO

...and you can see JP actually did very well in preseason. Yes he had some mistakes and a few bad plays, but overall he has looked better then some people want to believe.

...JP will be the Bills QB for the next 5 or so years IMO.

432343[/snapback]

We'll find out this Sunday how much he learned in the preseason.

Eball, 5 years is more than enough time to turn it around and make the playoffs. Most NFL coaches/administrators don't get much more than that to prove they're worth it. Also, nobody is asking them to come out and see "playoffs or bust", but to say the opposite "I'm not prepared to say if we don't make the playoffs then its a bad year" is absurd. Don't patronize the fans. We know it and he knows it - that if this team doesn't make a serious run at the playoffs, then next year could be it for his regime. Eball, we can just agree to disagree.