Dear Mr President

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

State Rep. Karen Carter was right Friday when she said the city didn't have but two urgent needs: "Buses! And gas!" Every official at the Federal Emergency Management Agency should be fired, Director Michael Brown especially.

Some of NO's busses.

Want to explain why these never got a rider, Times-Picayune?

Some of NO's busses.

429646[/snapback]

nice

those who openly embraced nagin ("Nagin for president! he calls it like it is!") after his ridiculous tirade must've tossed the concept of personal responsibility out the window a long time ago

Nagin for president? *shudders*

Some of NO's busses.

429646[/snapback]

You know, he really failed twice there:

1.) Not using the buses to get people out of town before the storm (of course that would require pre-arranging a shelter of last resort outside the city, but considering they knew that there were no buildings in the city that would adequately hold up to the "big storm"), and

2.) Not getting the buses to higher ground so that they might actually be usable after the flood.

hey, guess what? people still don't want to leave

but let's blame the feds anyway

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050905/ap_on_...o__security_hk4

During a news conference, Deputy Superintendent Warren Riley said police were telling the remaining residents that there is no food, water or jobs and nothing to remain in New Orleans for.

"This city has been destroyed," Riley said.

Riley said police did have the authority to force evacuations, but did not spell out whether officers are taking that step. In an earlier interview on WWL radio, Mayor Ray Nagin said that authorities were going to try to persuade people to leave. Officers will no longer be handing out water to people who will not evacuate, the mayor said.

Riley estimated that fewer than 10,000 people were left in the city. He said some simply did not want to leave their homes — while others were hanging back to engage in criminal activities, such as looting.

"We don't know how long this is going to last," he said.

hey, guess what? people still don't want to leave

but let's blame the feds anyway

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050905/ap_on_...o__security_hk4

429727[/snapback]

They did a timeline on CNN last night. Part of it was a reporter "embedded" with a citizen rescuer shortly after the hurricane (as the waters were still rising). There were folks on 2nd floor balconies in their lounge chairs refusing to be rescued, like they were going to wait until the flooding subsided... <_<

nice

those who openly embraced nagin ("Nagin for president! he calls it like it is!") after his ridiculous tirade must've tossed the concept of personal responsibility out the window a long time ago

Nagin for president? *shudders*

429688[/snapback]

Then again Mr. Bush has been a great orator and shown leadership over the past week, hasn't he?!? The Mayor, in more straight forward and common terms called the President out but even Fox News is calling him out because this is a disaster that could have been avoided. The same Administration that can throw billions at other nations, be it for humanitarian aid, nation building (sorry rightees <_< ) or undermining the Govt's of those nations could not get it's act together, with a weeks notice, to save and protect tax paying citizens of it's own country.

If it quacks like a duck, and.....

Some of NO's busses.

429646[/snapback]

Those pictures of the submerged buses are the most damning evidence of who is to blame just yet, and that includes the Washington Post article yesterday that said Gov. Blanco refused to order an evacuation until Pres. Bush basically made her do so.

Nagin for President? CNN already loves the guy because he goes on crazy rants. Of course, he's so incompetent that he makes local leaders in Buffalo look good by comparison.

As for the people who refuse to leave, that says something about the city's mentality going into this disaster. How many people died because they were just plain stupid?

Those pictures of the submerged buses are the most damning evidence of who is to blame just yet, and that includes the Washington Post article yesterday that said Gov. Blanco refused to order an evacuation until Pres. Bush basically made her do so.

Nagin for President?  CNN already loves the guy because he goes on crazy rants.  Of course, he's so incompetent that he makes local leaders in Buffalo look good by comparison.

As for the people who refuse to leave, that says something about the city's mentality going into this disaster.  How many people died because they were just plain stupid?

429774[/snapback]

Some people are only going to see what their pre-conceived notions and opinions will allow them to see. Truth and fact have little or no bearing.

Some people are only going to see what their pre-conceived notions and opinions will allow them to see. Truth and fact have little or no bearing.

429787[/snapback]

I won't be surprised if Nagin's local popularity actually increases after all of this.

He had the balls to say that it was because of his crazy rants that things actually started getting done in New Orleans.

Which is basically like me going outside my apartment around 8pm, screaming about how hot it is outside, and then taking credit when the sun goes down.

Then again Mr. Bush has been a great orator and shown leadership over the past week, hasn't he?!? The Mayor, in more straight forward and common terms called the President out but even Fox News is calling him out because this is a disaster that could have been avoided. The same Administration that can throw billions at other nations, be it for humanitarian aid, nation building (sorry rightees :huh: ) or undermining the Govt's of those nations could not get it's act together, with a weeks notice, to save and protect tax paying citizens of it's own country.

If it quacks like a duck, and.....

429764[/snapback]

You're right. Bush should have waved his Presidential Magic Wand and had things taken care of in less than an hour. That's usually how unprecedented natural disasters play out. <_<

Bush showed really bad leadership when he finally convinced the Governor of LA to order the mandatory evacuation and even worse leadership when he didn't go door to door to make sure everyone actually left. ;)

I won't be surprised if Nagin's local popularity actually increases after all of this.

He had the balls to say that it was because of his crazy rants that things actually started getting done in New Orleans.

Which is basically like me going outside my apartment around 8pm, screaming about how hot it is outside, and then taking credit when the sun goes down.

429793[/snapback]

Nice analogy.

Another analogy:

At my work we have all kinds of responsibilites. Each shift has something to do from running the place to cleaning the place. We all know our responsibilites and what our job is.

So knowing this... If it is midnight's job to get the place in order and clean up after the two other shifts, that is YOUR JOB.

So... If afternoons and days leaves the place one effing discourteous mess and I am on midnights... Do I clean it up?

The answer is a resounding YES!

It is still my job, maybe not my mess but, still my job!

Now, the proper response would have been to clean it up the best and greatest way you know how every single time! If you have a problem where you think that the other shifts didn't work well. You bring it up with management after you complete your job.

And, yes... I AM A union worker.

Find that hard to believe?

Should I just accept the whoooosh going right over your heads and accept the pat on your back work done not to the best of your ability?

<_<

Nagin for President?  CNN already loves the guy because he goes on crazy rants.  Of course, he's so incompetent that he makes local leaders in Buffalo look good by comparison.

As for the people who refuse to leave, that says something about the city's mentality going into this disaster.  How many people died because they were just plain stupid?

429774[/snapback]

If stupidity = death then we'd be sending flowers to your funeral.

Lighten up. This whole thing was a cluster from Day 1, even before, starting with the incompetents at FEMA right down to the local clods with their blinders on.

People who are staying are those who have precious little to lose and clearly have no faith in the government to protect their homes or belongings. I don't agree with it but I certainly understand it. God willing I am never in their shoes.

I love the way the Bush apologists all line up to blame it on the locals.

Why do we have a FEMA if local governments are supposed to handle all disasters? Did Nagin screw up? Absolutely! Did Blanco screw up? Absolutely! But we expect the federal government to have the most assets at its disposal and to be the "John Wayne dude" who hops off of the chopper and gets everyone's ass in gear.

It is clear that Michael Brown was not the "John Wayne dude". For him not to be aware of the situation at the Convention Center until Thursday is ludicrous. You would think that the "command center" would at least have a tv to see the problems that news reporters were able to find and have no problem getting to.

We already knew that Bush was not the "John Wayne dude", but for him not to end his vacation until Wednesday shows how out of touch he is. On 9/11, it only took him 7 minutes to extricate himself from reading nursery rhymes at the elementary school. This time it took 2 days to get him back to work. Oh wait, he was hard at work drumming up support for the war in Iraq at some California military base when the sh-- was hitting the fan. Wouldn't want the choir to miss out on that sermon. <_<

Now, the proper response would have been to clean it up the best and greatest way you know how every single time!  If you have a problem where you think that the other shifts didn't work well.  You bring it up with management after you complete your job.

429815[/snapback]

Isn't that what's happening? Nagin and Blanco are the ones passing the blame and Bush and co. are the ones taking responsibility even when they don't have to. The Feds are the only ones not pointing fingers at this point and they probably have the least to be sorry for.