Gregg in High Demand

Steven in MD

From Yahoo...

Did we let a good one go?

I think not!

429115[/snapback]

I bet Browns fans were saying the same thing when they let one of their coaches go because he sucked. I think he later ended up winning three of the past four Superbowls.

The league has a lot of examples of coaches who did extremely well their second time around, using their first experience as a learning excercise.

CW

I think he could be a good HC in this league. Often times the 2nd go-round turns out to be exactly what the doctor ordered. Dont forget Billacheck (Sp?) was fired in cleveland before heading to NE.

IF he learned his lesson and surrounds himself with strong coordinators and someone who knows how to run an offense (cuz he doesnt), he can be a successful HC. We all know he can build a solid D. He did it in Tennessee, Buffalo and now Washington. He just needs to be able to put together the offensive side of the ball.

I bet Browns fans were saying the same thing when they let one of their coaches go because he sucked.  I think he later ended up winning three of the past four Superbowls.

The league has a lot of examples of coaches who did extremely well their second time around, using their first experience as a learning excercise.

CW

429125[/snapback]

The difference is that Belichek made i to the playoffs and one a game before getting fired because of circumstances. Had Modell not moved the team, the Ravens would not exist and the Browns might have a SB win under Belichek. I cannot think that GW would ever be that good. Good DC...awful HC

The difference is that Belichek made i to the playoffs and one a game before getting fired because of circumstances.  Had Modell not moved the team, the Ravens would not exist and the Browns might have a SB win under Belichek.  I cannot think that GW would ever be that good.  Good DC...awful HC

429132[/snapback]

Belichek was 36-44 as a coach in Cleveland, with only ONE winning season in 5 years. Let's not allow his current success to re-write history.

CW

Belichek was 36-44 as a coach in Cleveland, with only ONE winning season in 5 years.  Let's not allow his current success to re-write history.

CW

429135[/snapback]

Hmmm....17-31 vs 36-44 I will take 36-44

I am saying the Belichek showed alot more potency than GW.

Hmmm....17-31 vs 36-44 I will take 36-44

I am saying the Belichek showed alot more potency than GW.

429138[/snapback]

20-28 vs 17-31 would be a better comparison.

Williams also led his team to a better record (8-8) in one of his first three seasons than Belichek ever did.

You can spin stats anyway you like, but you have no way to know whether he's going to do well as a HC in the future or not, simply based on his three years in Buffalo.

CW

Like him or hate him, Belichick was always the same guy. Every year Gregg was here he was a different guy. In reality, we had 3 coaches. Gregg the disciplinarian, Gregg the average coach, Gregg Mr. Nice Guy.

How can the guy be a successful head coach when he doesn't have an established personality.

If Gregg wants to be a successful head coach he's not going to be unless he learned a lot from his mistakes in Buffalo. I don't see where he's learned to manage a game on gameday since he's been fired. He might have learned not to hire Ronnie Vinklarek or Pat Ruhl as his OL coach. Then again, he might have been introduced to Ronnie Jones in the past 2 years.

20-28 vs 17-31 would be a better comparison.

Williams also led his team to a better record (8-8) in one of his first three seasons than Belichek ever did.

You can spin stats anyway you like, but you have no way to know whether he's going to do well as a HC in the future or not, simply based on his three years in Buffalo.

CW

429149[/snapback]

so fez, do you wish the bills had kept GW?

so fez, do you wish the bills had kept GW?

429165[/snapback]

Do you know how to read...?

CW

Like him or hate him, Belichick was always the same guy.  Every year Gregg was here he was a different guy.  In reality, we had 3 coaches.  Gregg the disciplinarian, Gregg the average coach, Gregg Mr. Nice Guy.

How can the guy be a successful head coach when he doesn't have an established personality. 

If Gregg wants to be a successful head coach he's not going to be unless he learned a lot from his mistakes in Buffalo.  I don't see where he's learned to manage a game on gameday since he's been fired.  He might have learned not to hire Ronnie Vinklarek or Pat Ruhl as his OL coach.  Then again, he might have been introduced to Ronnie Jones in the past 2 years.

429157[/snapback]

Great post...you nailed GW's fundamental flaw during his Bills tenure. And forgive me if I doubt his game day decision making has gotten much better.

This reporter did his research:

The two could hardly be more different. Gibbs is all about paranoia, evasiveness and secrecy. Williams likes to be upfront, candid and blunt. Gibbs has trouble keeping a schedule from one day to the next. Williams is organized and punctual.

Williams was never candid or upfront--how many times did we hear "We have to execute better" in press conferences.

Let's see, he had vendetta's against players (Brown), hired incompetent assistants, and wasted a year with a great defense by sticking with a stubborn offensive coordinator who's schemes all of our opponents had figured out. I certainly hope he learned something--like where to get a brain transplant....to the next team that hires him--I have one word to say....SUCKERS!!!! I hope its the Redskins---or someone in our division--the Jets maybe after Herm craps out this year.

Belichek was 36-44 as a coach in Cleveland, with only ONE winning season in 5 years.  Let's not allow his current success to re-write history.

CW

429135[/snapback]

Why compare someone to the maybe the greatest HC ever in the modern era. It's like how every good white basketball player has the potential to "be the next Larry Bird." You then only set them up for failure. Gregg Williams is more like Wade Phillips than Bill Belichick. As a matter of fact, I think Wade is a better HC candidate than Gregg is......

Do you know how to read...?

CW

429181[/snapback]

i didn't ask you if you thought GW would be a great head coach the second time around. i asked if you wished he was still here. why does that question deserve an insult?

Like him or hate him, Belichick was always the same guy.  Every year Gregg was here he was a different guy.  In reality, we had 3 coaches.  Gregg the disciplinarian, Gregg the average coach, Gregg Mr. Nice Guy.

If Gregg wants to be a successful head coach he's not going to be unless he learned a lot from his mistakes in Buffalo.  I don't see where he's learned to manage a game on gameday since he's been fired.  He might have learned not to hire Ronnie Vinklarek or Pat Ruhl as his OL coach.  Then again, he might have been introduced to Ronnie Jones in the past 2 years.

429157[/snapback]

With BB being the same guy how does him accepting the HC offer from the NYJ (I think it was them) and then turning tale and running out on his word and taking the NE job instead fit in.

Before we do much anointing of BB as a football god, let's not revise history to forget some very sorry team performances under him and some questionable personal choices.

He is a great HC and clearly one of the best football minds to don a headset.

However, even after winning multiple SBs with the same team he needs to show me more before I think he can reasonably be called even one of the greatest minds ever rather than giving him a lot of credit for being part of (and definitely the leader of) one of the great football teams of all time.

Folks will be working to repeat the great job he has done getting his kind of player, great on field moves like taking a safety against the Fins to allow the D to 3 and out them so that NE could score the winning TD, or repeat the great job he did unifying the Pats by totally blowing his attempt to squeeze a few bucks out of Milloy.

Thankfully for NE, the team turned their anger at BB for screwing up this situation into focus for the TEAM as they responded to a number of critical injuries to renew themselves after a 0-31 pasting by the Bills.