This is a 6-10 Team This Year

BenchBledsoe

I'm no optimist. I had little hope going into last season (and was pleasantly surprised with the late run), but I have trouble finding more than 1 loss in our first 7 games.

All teams have concerns and issues going into the year. Obviously, our issues are glaring and there is a lot less reason to think they'll turn out ok than those of teams with less unknowns. Still, there's no reason to think that this young offense wont make improvements as the year goes on. It may not be enough to make the playoffs, but it might be.

I would have to think Vegas, were it forced to put lines on every week's games right now, would have the Bills as favorites in the first 6. The road trip to Oakland doesn't worry me at all for some reason either. If this team crashes and burns, it'll be in the second half of the season. By that time, if the offense hasn't gotten some confidence and/or figured out how to play as a decent unit, we could easily stumble, but probably not to 6-10. This defense is too good to lose that many games, IMO.

Although come to think of it, I guess our last 6-10 season went something like that...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After looking over the Bills schedule and watching what looks to be a horrible offensive line in "action," it is unfortunately clear that this team is about a 6-10 type team this year.

I was re-watching the game on NFL Network today and it was horrifying to see our offensive line. I couldn't believe it. I hadn't noticed it as much when the game was going on live, but really looking at it today was scary. The pressure on our QBs was often immediate, and I'm speaking about the starting offensive line. Gandy is a freaking sieve. He has no business starting at LT. On most teams, he'd be camp fodder, and waived during the first waive of cuts. Mike Williams is a very average lineman in this league, so is Bennie Anderson. Trey Teague is playing out of position. Our QBs aren't going to have a chance.

Willis is averaging 3.1 yards per carry in the preseason. There simply are no holes. His number of carries that he's getting caught in the backfield for losses is ridiculously high. He is a franchise back that has looked exceptionally pedestrian at times due to this O-Line.

And before you throw out comments like "It's only preseason" or "doomed" realize that I am speaking of the starting O-Line. Wait until teams really game plan and send all types of blitz packages in. This O-line is as bad as I have seen in the league. They are the worst (or as bad as any other) O-Line in the league.

So, as much as it pains me to write, we've got to face it that a 6-10 type season is quite likely. No offensive line and an inexperienced, raw QB are going to be a lethal combo, especially in the AFC East. Who else is concerned out there? I haven't heard near enough on this topic as is warranted.

428800[/snapback]

Not sure I totally agree with the reasons, but I agree with the outcome. I know you will be taking shots on this board as "it's only preseason"...but what you saw of the 1st string in the preseason is enough to merit concerns that we are a sub-500 team. Nobody argues that a preseasopn record is meaningless, however, the performance of your "A" team matters...and they were hideous. The best thing that could have happened was an injury to Losman keeping him out for a couple of weeks..with Holcolm, maybe they had a chance this year. With Losman, they might be OK next year...

Not sure I totally agree with the reasons, but I agree with the outcome.  I know you will be taking shots on this board as "it's only preseason"...but what you saw of the 1st string in the preseason is enough to merit concerns that we are a sub-500 team.  Nobody argues that a preseasopn record is meaningless, however, the performance of your "A" team matters...and they were hideous.  The best thing that could have happened was an injury to Losman keeping him out for a couple of weeks..with Holcolm, maybe they had a chance this year.  With Losman, they might be OK next year...

430495[/snapback]

They were hideous?

LEt me see, in three of their four games they left with a lead.

That ain't too hideous IMO.

You guys have sounded like I want them to go 6-10. Not true. But, they are in danger of being headed that way, that's what I'm saying.

430538[/snapback]

They are 0-0 with a very winnable game to start the season, not 6-8 with the two play-off teams left to play.

Not sure I totally agree with the reasons, but I agree with the outcome.  I know you will be taking shots on this board as "it's only preseason"...but what you saw of the 1st string in the preseason is enough to merit concerns that we are a sub-500 team.  Nobody argues that a preseasopn record is meaningless, however, the performance of your "A" team matters...and they were hideous.  The best thing that could have happened was an injury to Losman keeping him out for a couple of weeks..with Holcolm, maybe they had a chance this year.  With Losman, they might be OK next year...

430495[/snapback]

Yes, I have been taking shots on the board. However, many, like yourself fear that what I wrote may be true. But, folks I'm really hoping not, (so I don't get bashed as a troll). I do not consider myself a pessimist, just a realist.

Yes, I have been taking shots on the board. However, many, like yourself fear that what I wrote may be true. But, folks I'm really hoping not, (so I don't get bashed as a troll). I do not consider myself a pessimist, just a realist.

433332[/snapback]

The messenger is always the first one to get it in the neck. :blink:

433332[/snapback]

This is not an attack on you, BB, but in general I think the term "realist" is overrated on this board and in all sports discussions. I have made this argument before, but this thread has made me want to jump in again...

Sports are the toy department of life, one of the least "real" things that any of us will ever have to deal with. We choose to follow sports because it brings us some sort of pleasure. That being the case, and given the reality that no one knows how things will turn out, why in the world would someone choose to take a bleak view of things. If things turn out badly, then you can be bleak with the rest of us. But if one would prefer to apply one's detailed "realistic" analytical skills to a problem, there are plenty of real problems in the world that do not involve 20-something millionaire glandular cases in funny costumes that should command our attention. To choose to be grim and gloomy in advance about something that has no actual bearing on one's real life is not realistic. In fact, it suggests a disconnect from reality. To go further, and to claim that it is a badge of honor to run around castigating people for failing to be gloomy for no reason as well, is even further detached from reality.

Of course, as Bills fans, we are all intimately acquainted with disappointment and gloom. If we were "realists" we would have stopped this form of self-abuse a long time ago (in favor of more pleasurable forms of self-abuse, perhaps...). That we are here, again, breathless with anticipation about the new season ahead, is a wonderful example of "un-realism," and it pains me to think that people want to deny themselves that pleasure....

Go Bills!

433332[/snapback]

I agree with you and have said so much in other threads. I think it's just most people fal to understand that even as bad as Bledsoe he offered some things that JP doesn't. That being experience and at least proven that he can beat teams with his arm which opened a lot of things up for McGahee. Not to mention I don't expect to see as many returns for TDs this year and not sure if the D will be as good as it was last year. As last year I think we lead the league in forced turnovers but the two years prior were towards, if not at the bottom.

I'm no optimist.  I had little hope going into last season (and was pleasantly surprised with the late run), but I have trouble finding more than 1 loss in our first 7 games.

All teams have concerns and issues going into the year.  Obviously, our issues are glaring and there is a lot less reason to think they'll turn out ok than those of teams with less unknowns.  Still, there's no reason to think that this young offense wont make improvements as the year goes on.  It may not be enough to make the playoffs, but it might be.

I would have to think Vegas, were it forced to put lines on every week's games right now, would have the Bills as favorites in the first 6. The road trip to Oakland doesn't worry me at all for some reason either.  If this team crashes and burns, it'll be in the second half of the season.  By that time, if the offense hasn't gotten some confidence and/or figured out how to play as a decent unit, we could easily stumble, but probably not to 6-10.  This defense is too good to lose that many games, IMO.

Although come to think of it, I guess our last 6-10 season went something like that...

430446[/snapback]

Nice post -

Re: the spreads - the Bucs & Jets games would be close, but we probably would be slight favorites in both. I would think Oakland as well, but maybe they're overrated by Vegas since they're only 7 pt dogs in NE tonight.

Nice post -

Re: the spreads - the Bucs & Jets games would be close, but we probably would be slight favorites in both.  I would think Oakland as well, but maybe they're overrated by Vegas since they're only 7 pt dogs in NE tonight.

433361[/snapback]

From what I saw from Oakland last night, they are going to score a ton this year. If their run defense continues to play like that (yes, I have Corey Dillon in my fantasy league and was dying in the first half) they are going to be tough for the Bills to beat, especially in Oakland. We couldn't beat them last year, and they're much improved on offense.

This is not an attack on you, BB, but in general I think the term "realist" is overrated on this board and in all sports discussions. I have made this argument before, but this thread has made me want to jump in again...

Sports are the toy department of life, one of the least "real" things that any of us will ever have to deal with. We choose to follow sports because it brings us some sort of pleasure. That being the case, and given the reality that no one knows how things will turn out, why in the world would someone choose to take a bleak view of things. If things turn out badly, then you can be bleak with the rest of us. But if one would prefer to apply one's detailed "realistic" analytical skills to a problem, there are plenty of real problems in the world that do not involve 20-something millionaire glandular cases in funny costumes that should command our attention. To choose to be grim and gloomy in advance about something that has no actual bearing on one's real life is not realistic. In fact, it suggests a disconnect from reality. To go further, and to claim that it is a badge of honor to run around castigating people for failing to be gloomy for no reason as well, is even further detached from reality.

Of course, as Bills fans, we are all intimately acquainted with disappointment and gloom. If we were "realists" we would have stopped this form of self-abuse a long time ago (in favor of more pleasurable forms of self-abuse, perhaps...). That we are here, again, breathless with anticipation about the new season ahead, is a wonderful example of "un-realism," and it pains me to think that people want to deny themselves that pleasure....

Go Bills!

433357[/snapback]

Nice post.

Go Bills!

433357[/snapback]

This isn't an attack on you -

but I find that a bit condescending. I'm just not a fan of the "Sports means nothing in the grand scheme of things" schtick. I mean, yeah - I think we all realize that other stuff is more important. I don't understand the need to pretend like others don't understand this concept just because they don't agree with your outlook on the season. I love my team, and think modest expectations are "realistic" after seeing them fail to make the playoffs 5 straight years with the same old problem of a crappy OL, I hope like hell I'm wrong, and that's that. Cool?

From what I saw from Oakland last night, they are going to score a ton this year. If their run defense continues to play like that (yes, I have Corey Dillon in my fantasy league and was dying in the first half) they are going to be tough for the Bills to beat, especially in Oakland. We couldn't beat them last year, and they're much improved on offense.

434752[/snapback]

I've posted this about 3 times before, but this is my take on the Raiders:

Kerry Collins is an all or nothing QB. He plays great or plays like crap in most games. Because of their lousy defense they're going to lose every single game he plays lousy in and probably only win about half the games he plays well in.

Smells like 5-11 to me.

This isn't an attack on you -

but I find that a bit condescending.  I'm just not a fan of the "Sports means nothing in the grand scheme of things" schtick.  I mean, yeah - I think we all realize that other stuff is more important.  I don't understand the need to pretend like others don't understand this concept just because they don't agree with your outlook on the season.  I love my team, and think modest expectations are "realistic" after seeing them fail to make the playoffs 5 straight years with the same old problem of a crappy OL, I hope like hell I'm wrong, and that's that.  Cool?

434783[/snapback]

Yeah, we cool. :unsure:

Seriously, I did not want to appear condescending, but was reacting to the often-condescending implications of the argument made by many on this board [and, to be honest, implied in the aggressive "Face it, folks…" title to the message that started this thread] that "realism" is automatically smarter than optimism. In the fantasyland that is sports, I think such assumptions do not hold. (Whether that assumption holds in the real world is another story...) I can be as gloomy as the next guy when it comes to a lot of things, but I look to sports for enjoyment, and felt that it was necessary for someone to make the case for optimism as intellectually justifiable.

But hey, if the Bills win, we can all be happy, whether we agreed on our predictions or not. I hope that all of us will be happy at least 10 times this season. I can't see the future, and I do know there are potential weaknesses on the team, but I will hold to that hope for as long as I can.

Go Bills!

• 2 weeks later...

I said it before and it was reaffirmed today. . . this is a 6-10 type team with the schedule they have to play this year. 2 games and 1 TD. That's brutal.

Some disturbing observations. . .

There are NO holes at all for Willis to run through. I feel sorry for the poor sap in my fantasy league that spent a high first rounder on him. He is a good back that gets absolutel no room to run. None. How many times are we going to have to watch him slam into the line for no gain? It's become an all too familar sight.

JP is very inaccurate, even the few times that he has protection. And any defense is going to wilt when on the field as long as this one will be this year.

This offensive line is one of the few worst in the league. Unbelievably inept and ineffective.

Some of you will try to bravely talk this team up and try to see some silver linings . . . but deep down you know that this is a very average football team with virtually no playoff chance.