Dr. Z on JP

CosmicBills

What do you make of this little tid-bit? Is Dr. Z doing shoddy reporting (basing his analysis on JP's pre-draft criticism of being 'cocky') or do his teammates really not like him? Just found it interesting.

"I'm trying hard to get away from the obvious ... kind of an "It all hinges on QB J.P. Losman" type of approach ... but how can you do it, honestly? If he's as good as they say, OK, playoffs, even though the O-line is not that good. If he's what other people say, then he's a me-me-me guy -- immature and not overly liked. We'll see..."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...lanation/3.html

that is just echoing the criticism of JP coming out of the draft. He was known as very arrogant in a way that rubbed some teammates at Tulane the wrong way.

428649[/snapback]

Yeah, way to go the extra mile and check him out now Dr. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. It's time for the retirement home, gramps. :)

Yeah, way to go the extra mile and check him out now Dr. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. It's time for the retirement home, gramps.  :)

428653[/snapback]

To be fair to Dr. Z (who I think is the best football writer out there) many teams were hesitant to pick JP because of the concern over his arrogance. Most scouts agreed that his skills were on par or even better than Manning, Rivers, or Rothlesberger's but dropped JP on thier draftboard because of these questions.

Yeah, way to go the extra mile and check him out now Dr. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. It's time for the retirement home, gramps.  :)

428653[/snapback]

Check him now? He hasn't done anything yet. Remember, preseason doesn't count.

Or do the positives count but we should all ignore the negatives...?

CW

Check him now?  He hasn't done anything yet.  Remember, preseason doesn't count.

Or do the positives count but we should all ignore the negatives...?

CW

428665[/snapback]

I'm not talking about his performance thus far, Fez. The jury is still way out on that. I'm talking about the so called "attitude problem" that was attributed to him going into the draft. Have you seen an arrogant-I'm-better-than-anyone attitude from Losman?? If anything, he's been humble and eager to learn, IMHO. It's annoying to see article after article from writers based on hearsay and not fact whether it's the Bills or not. I think Dr. Z used to be a quality writer but as he's gotten older he's gotten lazy...very disappointing.

I'm not talking about his performance thus far, Fez. The jury is still way out on that. I'm talking about the so called "attitude problem" that was attributed to him going into the draft. Have you seen an arrogant-I'm-better-than-anyone attitude from Losman?? If anything, he's been humble and eager to learn, IMHO. It's annoying to see article after article from writers based on hearsay and not fact whether it's the Bills or not. I think Dr. Z used to be a quality writer but as he's gotten older he's gotten lazy...very disappointing.

428676[/snapback]

I know that's what you're saying -- but what I meant was that arrogance/blame/ego don't really show up in preseason. Did Kelly blast Ballard for not blocking during preseason? No, he did it during the regular season (after an injury). True colors don't come out until things are live.

His reputation out of school was of being arrogant. You won't be able to find out if it's true or not until the regular season (or maybe even next season).

Personally, I don't think it'll be a problem. But Dr. Z is hardly being lazy in writing what he did.

CW

I know that's what you're saying -- but what I meant was that arrogance/blame/ego don't really show up in preseason.  Did Kelly blast Ballard for not blocking during preseason?  No, he did it during the regular season (after an injury).  True colors don't come out until things are live.

His reputation out of school was of being arrogant.  You won't be able to find out if it's true or not until the regular season (or maybe even next season).

Personally, I don't think it'll be a problem.  But Dr. Z is hardly being lazy in writing what he did.

CW

428677[/snapback]

Maybe you're right about JP but thus far his played the good company man, IMHO. We can agree to disagree on Dr.Z. My point about him was not just this article. It's a general trend I've seen from him in the last several years. A once quality writer now past his prime.

I know that's what you're saying -- but what I meant was that arrogance/blame/ego don't really show up in preseason.  Did Kelly blast Ballard for not blocking during preseason?  No, he did it during the regular season (after an injury).  True colors don't come out until things are live.

His reputation out of school was of being arrogant.  You won't be able to find out if it's true or not until the regular season (or maybe even next season).

Personally, I don't think it'll be a problem.  But Dr. Z is hardly being lazy in writing what he did.

CW

428677[/snapback]

Other than a kind of grating voice (his voice, not what he says) I haven't heard or seen anything to indicate to me that JP is a "bad guy", or above the NFL average in the arrogance department. In fact, I have been pleasently surprised that he seems much brighter, and articulate, than reading half-assed pre-draft analysis seemed to indicate.

I may be in the ever increasing minority (and I believe that you are too, Fez) that I would have preferred to keep our former #1 QB around for another season, but it is just for no other reason than I hate to see us write off another season as a learning experience. As our offense "grows up", the core of our great defense will be another year older, and another year closer to their cotract years.

But, all and all, I have been more pleasently surprised by Losman, than concerned. I have a feeling we are in for some rough waters, early on at least, I am just crossing my fingers that our defense and ST are enough to prevent us from getting off to another crappy start. This is not to say that I think Losman will fail, only that is has been very apparent that his lack of experience is going to be very obvious at times...

To be fair to Dr. Z (who I think is the best football writer out there) many teams were hesitant to pick JP because of the concern over his arrogance. Most scouts agreed that his skills were on par or even better than Manning, Rivers, or Rothlesberger's but dropped JP on thier draftboard because of these questions.

428663[/snapback]

Why be fair? That "arrogant" stuff is from almost a year ago. We've seen JP for quite some time now... and is there anybody that think's he arrogant? Didn't think so.

I agree with a previous poster...time for Zimmerman to find a good retirement home.

Maybe you're right about JP but thus far his played the good company man, IMHO. We can agree to disagree on Dr.Z. My point about him was not just this article. It's a general trend I've seen from him in the last several years. A once quality writer now past his prime.

428679[/snapback]

Of all the sports writers I read, Dr. Z is the last one I'd call "lazy". He puts more work into his job than just about any writer out there.

Come on it is obvious that DR z is under the gun and has done no research on the NFL teams that he does not like. Wow the bils have a good defense and JP is a question mark. Come on my little sister could have told me that. That guy has not done anything to investigate the situation in Buffalo, or on any team that did not make the playoffs last year. His comments sound like he just copied someone elses comments off of the AP wire.