Arizona Cardinals New Stadium design

It actually wouldn't look that bad if they didn't insist on keeping that roll-out grass tray field. Someone got that in their brain and no matter how ugly, stupid (their security costs go up 200%) or unecessary (it's an open-top roof!) it is, they just don't want to let it go.

It actually wouldn't look that bad if they didn't insist on keeping that roll-out grass tray field. Someone got that in their brain and no matter how ugly, stupid (their security costs go up 200%) or unecessary (it's an open-top roof!) it is, they just don't want to let it go.

427770[/snapback]

It probably grows really nice out there on the window sill.

Seriously, the sidesof the stadium probably hinder proper growth?

:rolleyes:

It probably grows really nice out there on the window sill.

Seriously, the sidesof the stadium probably hinder proper growth?

0:)

427779[/snapback]

From the sounds of it, that field is not going to be very steady to play on. The Giants used the tray system for a few years and replaced it b/c the turf was just loose --- imagine pulling up your yard past the roots with a shovel, laying it back down, tamp it with your foot a couple of times, and then try to play football on it. And they never had the added consideration of the entire field moving in and out. 'Zona talked about this concept several years ago when the design concept planning started and I guess they were married to it.

Not enough sun in Arizona? Even through the openings in the sides? Maybe they could go with a sun-shade mix.... :rolleyes:

I lived about 2 blocks from where that stadium is being built. It was a giant bean field when I lived there. It's a great boost to the east side of Phoenix as the only other thing there at the time was Luke AFB (Where I was stationed). Now Glendale has the hockey area and the football stadium. Glad to see improvements in the old neighborhood.

From the sounds of it, that field is not going to be very steady to play on. The Giants used the tray system for a few years and  replaced it b/c the turf was just loose --- imagine pulling up your yard past the roots with a shovel, laying it back down, tamp it with your foot a couple of times, and then try to play football on it. And they never had the added consideration of the entire field moving in and out. 'Zona talked about this concept several years ago when the design concept planning started and I guess they were married to it.

Not enough sun in Arizona? Even through the openings in the sides? Maybe they could go with a sun-shade mix....  :rolleyes:

427809[/snapback]

Yeah, The muckety mucks loved the sliding field idea. The popularity of Field turf hadn't made it out West yet I guess. 0:)

I am not 100% sure, but I dont think the sides are open like in the pictures. I drive by the Stadium every day, and it looks like a doomed stadium to me...

Oh, and the retractable roof is a good idea to me. Why play in a dome in Nov and Dec. in Arizona? The weather is fabulous. The Dome is needed though because of the heat in Aug and Sept. The Cards Owners and Mgmt are tired of playing the first 2 games on the road every year and then having a Bye. Slow starts are hard to overcome...

For more pictures of the ugly exterior, check out this link. The Stadium stuff is down the page, right hand side.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/

A while back I saw a Cardinal official being interviewed about the stadium. He was extolling the futuristic design both inside and out. Apparently they take pride in the fact that there's not a single scrap of wood anywhere in the entire stadium. :)

AZ Cardinals New Stadium Link

427731[/snapback]

As with anything that's new or different, it may take some getting used to.

This is the era of throw-back retro looking ball parks for baseball, but for football, I think this is an absolutely fantastic design that functional for the climate and represents a futuristic look. I like it a lot.

Do they really need a sliding roof in Arizona?

427849[/snapback]

Yes they do. When the temp gets below 90, they can turn off the air conditioning and open her up! For example, during night games starting at 8PM...by 10:30 it gets down right chilly out there...80-85.