Has the price of gas changed your driving habits?

I know it's changed mine. I wouldn't say I was a speed demon before, but if I had a place to be I liked to get there quickly. Very heavy foot on the gas. Now I accelerate as smoothly and gently as I can. Our car has an average MPG gauge and my wife and I try to see who can get the best mileage on it. I'm putting around town now like a Shriner on a go-cart... :blink:

I'm going to ask my boss if I can work from home once a week - I think he'll say yes (an advantage to working in IT).

My wife and I are also going to try carpooling once or twice a week. My job is right on the way to hers (I'm about 25 miles from home, she's about 33 miles from home), so it makes sense. I like working early (6am-3pm), whereas she works more 8am-5pm, but I'll make the adjustment to save some cash.

CW

No.

I keep the limit, accelerate sensibly, don't tailgate, look both ways, don't run red lights, and use my turn signals.

People have hated me for years.

426927[/snapback]

Don't forget to anticipate stops. Good for gas and brakes to start coasting earlier rather than slamming on the brakes when you get there. Gotta love the people who are in a hurry to be behind 6 other cars at a red light.

I'll say it's not the price of gas but my new car that has me driving differently. The "trip display" that shows my MPG average in 5 minute chunks (as well as an "instant MPG" + a running average since my last fill-up) really has showed me where I can improve...

As a family (that lives in the sticks between Buffalo and Rochester) we're a little more prudent about when it is that we go into the "big cities." Save the trips for when we can "combine" them, and always take the higher mileage car (instead of the more comfortable van) when we can. We've been doing that since before the Summer started...

I've begun to consolidate trips. I only drive 5.5 miles to work, so I can't really change the habit related to that. Riding a bike isn't possible, because it would only make me a target, and I don't care to be one of those.

I've found myself taking off slower.

Mostly, I've found myself thinking about conservation a lot more.

That is, until I take my boat out tomorrow.

With $3+ gallon gas here in Los Angeles, I have started to take the metro as much as I can.

Steve

426984[/snapback]

The push for better public transportation systems will be enormous in the upcoming elections I'm betting. Gas prices in Atlanta are at $5 a gallon.

I have a small celica and live a half mile from work, so I'm one of the lucky few regarding gas usage, however my wife has a much farther drive and v6 engine. I was shocked, today was the first time I ever saw her drive with the windows down on a day over 80 degrees.

I was shocked, today was the first time I ever saw her drive with the windows down on a day over 80 degrees.

You might want to tell her that, since she has a V6 engine, running the AC probably won't affect gas milage at all. I have a Camry v6 and I get the same gas milage with or without AC or heat.

CW

I have a small celica and live a half mile from work, so I'm one of the lucky few regarding gas usage, however my wife has a much farther drive and v6 engine.  I was shocked, today was the first time I ever saw her drive with the windows down on a day over 80 degrees.

426991[/snapback]

Switch cars with her.

You might want to tell her that, since she has a V6 engine, running the AC probably won't affect gas milage at all.  I have a Camry v6 and I get the same gas milage with or without AC or heat.

CW

427002[/snapback]

Depends. If it is stop and go, generally slow traffic, it should matter. On a highway or speeds high enough to make drag a factor, the counter effects should even out. ie. reduced drag due to windows rolled up means higher fuel eficiency balanced with the a/c to make the effect neutral.

You might want to tell her that, since she has a V6 engine, running the AC probably won't affect gas milage at all.  I have a Camry v6 and I get the same gas milage with or without AC or heat.

CW

427002[/snapback]

No, it has not affected me in the least.Also, I read where having your windows open at above 35mph actually uses more gas than the AC due to the drag