Well Fezmid, you were right

BuffaloBud

Sorry that I do not have the link, but Palm Beach (FL) Post story in today's Columbus (OH) Dispatch describes how hotels rooms are being taken from refugees for football fans.

Hampton Inn in Tallehassee (doesn't say which one) has thrown out refugees for the fans coming for the Miami-FSU game. Hoteliers said there was little they could do to help those who fled homes because they had to honor long-standing reservations for the football weekend. Front desk manager for the Quality Inn, who had several dozen of its 90 rooms occupied by storm refugees, said people who have planned trips for months would not take it well if they were told just days before the game that the hotel could not provide rooms. "We're not going to have a whole bunch of angry people," said the Quality Inn manager.

I guess you were right, money talks - compassion walks. Personally, I would have tried to make other accomodations (stay in Jax - drive over?).

Sorry that I do not have the link, but Palm Beach (FL) Post story in today's Columbus (OH) Dispatch describes how hotels rooms are being taken from refugees for football fans.

Hampton Inn in Tallehassee (doesn't say which one) has thrown out refugees for the fans coming for the Miami-FSU game.  Hoteliers said there was little they could do to help those who fled homes because they had to honor long-standing reservations for the football weekend.  Front desk manager for the Quality Inn, who had several dozen of its 90 rooms occupied by storm refugees, said people who have planned trips for months would not take it well if they were told just days before the game that the hotel could not provide rooms.  "We're not going to have a whole bunch of angry people," said the Quality Inn manager.

I guess you were right, money talks - compassion walks.  Personally, I would have tried to make other accomodations (stay in Jax - drive over?).

425261[/snapback]

yah they were talking about it on the news this morning here in tally...the red cross is trying to get shelters set up in the next day or so, because we have at least 500 refugees staying in local hotels, and they are being kicked out for the paying football fans...absolutely despicable...

Hampton Inn in Tallehassee (doesn't say which one) has thrown out refugees for the fans coming for the Miami-FSU game.  Hoteliers said there was little they could do to help those who fled homes because they had to honor long-standing reservations for the football weekend.  Front desk manager for the Quality Inn, who had several dozen of its 90 rooms occupied by storm refugees, said people who have planned trips for months would not take it well if they were told just days before the game that the hotel could not provide rooms.  "We're not going to have a whole bunch of angry people," said the Quality Inn manager.

I guess you were right, money talks - compassion walks.  Personally, I would have tried to make other accomodations (stay in Jax - drive over?).

425261[/snapback]

Umm, why can't the "refugees' do that? Not to sound callous, but those in hotels in those areas prolly got there in a car and have some money. These are not the same folks staying in the domes.

425261[/snapback]

It's a terrible situation and no one wants to see these people have to find other accomodations but blaming the hotel for having to make a business decision is about as tenable as making McDonald pay for some dumbazz spilling coffee in his lap.

However if you really feel that "money talks - compassion walks" I'm sure that one of those Jax hotels and a car rental agency would gladly take your credit card info and provide transportation and rooming for them.

However if you really feel that "money talks - compassion walks" I'm sure that one of those Jax hotels and a car rental agency would gladly take your credit card info and provide transportation and rooming for them.

425273[/snapback]

Exactly what I was thinking when I was reading it. Always easy to spend someone elses money.

It's a terrible situation and no one wants to see these people have to find other accomodations but blaming the hotel for having to make a business decision is about as tenable as making McDonald pay for some dumbazz spilling coffee in his lap. 

425273[/snapback]

What about asking the hotel if your reservation could be transferred to another site rather than booting someone out?

Its pretty unreasonable to expect a business to turn away money at this point. Tourism will be affected, they might as well bring in as much income as they can. Then again, perhaps they should just open their doors for free and lay off all of their employees.

Quite frankly im sure those refugees in the hotel were just glad to get a few nights, and a shelter so that they're not in that mess of a city. And Im sure they were told, "you can stay here until September 2nd." And at that point in time, any place to stay was a godsend.

It seems to me that this situatiion can be worked out with a lot of folks sharing the pain so no one ends up bearing an intolerable or unacceptable amount of the load because lots of folks are taking a bit of the pain caused by a hurricane which no one controlled.

If folks insist on meeting some principle here rather than making an accomodation then someone gets screwed somewhere and unfortnately it is likely to be those who have the least power to protect themselves because the storm put a hurting on them.

Should the hotels make an effort even if it costs them some money to take care of some of the refugees?

Yes.

Should some of the refugees attempt to stay with family and friends rather than stay at a hotel?

Yes.

Should the Red Cross set-up a tent city or attempt to find some donated accomodations for refugees?

Yes.

Should the schools ask their students to volunteer some of their dorm space to put up refugees on their floors for the weekend or even longer if it works for most?

Yes.

Should some FLA boat cruise company donate on of their boats as temporary housing which they can pull up to some FLA port?

Sure if they can. Maybe they can afford to donate an empty boat. maybe FEMA can rent one of their boats. Who knows.

The bottomline to me if somone insists on some principle (which actually probably just gives them an excuse to make some bucks) then it will be harder to deal with a situtation which no one created.

They might have concerns that the refugees will act like many in Section 8 housing, i.e. kick the crap out of the place. Sad but true.

425298[/snapback]

I highly doubt this Cincy. Like I said earlier, my gut tells me these are "paying" customers , not there as refugees where some government agency is picking up the tab. Thats why these people have the ability to get in their car and go someplace else.

I highly doubt this Cincy. Like I said earlier, my gut tells me these are "paying" customers , not there as refugees where some government agency is picking up the tab. Thats why these people have the ability to get in their car and go someplace else.

425307[/snapback]

I see your point.