Contract talks

d_wag

from today's buffalo news on the front page.......

"Bills management has met with defensive end Ryan Denney's agent, Eric Metz, who was at training camp recently. Reached by phone Sunday, Metz acknowledged that he and the Bills have engaged in contract discussions but declined to say where the negotiations stand.

The Bills are also trying to sign cornerback Terrence McGee to a long-term deal. McGee, a third-year pro, is due to become a restricted free agent at the end of the season, but the Bills can retain his rights by matching any offer.

Re-signing McGee is important to the Bills because they're already in danger of losing fellow starting cornerback Nate Clements, who is seeking to become one of the highest-paid players at his position. He will become an unrestricted free agent after the season unless he re-signs or the Bills designate him as their franchise player."

--------------------------------

clements and mcgee talks are old news, but denney?

i can't see why he would even be motivated to sign an extension with the bills when he'd obviously be slated for backup duty (and paid as such).......he could probably land somewhere after this season with at least a chance to compete for a starting spot.......now trying to extend edwards would make a lot more sense given he is a starter and would likely have more of a desire to stay.......

i sure hope they get some deals done.......it's frustrating watching young talent get locked up all over the league and not seeing the bills do the same with theirs.......

You guys know Ive hammered on RD for two years now. Truth is the guy is improving....he is very stout against the run. He's strong as hell and at 6'7 has a huge wingspan. At a moderate/decent contract I have no problem at all keeping RD.

They obviously are becoming concerned about losing Kelsay after 2006. If I'm not mistaken, McGahee's contract also expires at that time, and if they both play up to expectations, it's unlikely the Bills would be able to afford both. Locking up Denney right now should be cheap, and will give the Bills some insurance about Kelsay. They'll also have to draft another end this year or next year IMO.

They obviously are becoming concerned about losing Kelsay after 2006.  If I'm not mistaken, McGahee's contract also expires at that time, and if they both play up to expectations, it's unlikely the Bills would be able to afford both.  Locking up Denney right now should be cheap, and will give the Bills some insurance about Kelsay.  They'll also have to draft another end this year or next year IMO.

421558[/snapback]

Kelsay will be replaced by then......IMHO he needs to step it up. Big George Gause and the Krushin' Kraut are comin' :P

Denny is also becoming a special teams ace...in the Mark Pike mold...good wedge breaker and blocker...

He is a really good athlete...

421629[/snapback]

Agreed. Of course, you'd hope for more out of a second round pick. If he's going to be just a ST ace and not a viable DE, then he should be paid accordingly. I can't imagine he's going to be asking for much money.

Agreed. Of course, you'd hope for more out of a second round pick. If he's going to be just a ST ace and not a viable DE, then he should be paid accordingly. I can't imagine he's going to be asking for much money.

421645[/snapback]

No question...he's worth a slight -- maybe 10-20% premium to vet minimum with a reasonable signing bonus.

He is also older than the average 4th year player because of the mission he served in College, so I would say a three year extension. I might go for four or five if he was only 25 or 26 but he's 28...

just becuase they are talking about a new contract, doesnt mean he will get paid very much.

i HOPE they are simply offering him a low basic contract. noone is breaking the bank for that bum. and i would not give 2 ***** if he is gone. but no harm in talking, especially if its about a minimum contract.