Well, CBS will not be showing opener in HD

I saw on CBS tonight they will be showing 3 of the 5 early games in HD, and we are not among them. I was really hoping CBS would step it up this year and invest more in HD to be able to televise all their games in HD, like Fox does. Must be embarrassing to have Fox outshining you so badly.

Now we will have to deal with the week to week decisions on who will get the HD broadcasts, and more often than not the Bills are left out. PO'd that I have all this equipment and CBS can't deliver my Bills in glorious HD :D

I saw on CBS tonight they will be showing 3 of the 5 early games in HD, and we are not among them.  I was really hoping CBS would step it up this year and invest more in HD to be able to televise all their games in HD, like Fox does.  Must be embarrassing to have Fox outshining you so badly. 

Now we will have to deal with the week to week decisions on who will get the HD broadcasts, and more often than not the Bills are left out.  PO'd that I have all this equipment and CBS can't deliver my Bills in glorious HD :D

420729[/snapback]

That sucks! Have HD-Tivo on the way. ;)

I saw on CBS tonight they will be showing 3 of the 5 early games in HD, and we are not among them.  I was really hoping CBS would step it up this year and invest more in HD to be able to televise all their games in HD, like Fox does.  Must be embarrassing to have Fox outshining you so badly. 

Now we will have to deal with the week to week decisions on who will get the HD broadcasts, and more often than not the Bills are left out.  PO'd that I have all this equipment and CBS can't deliver my Bills in glorious HD :D

420729[/snapback]

Petitioning CBS would do a lot more good than posting here.

Now we will have to deal with the week to week decisions on who will get the HD broadcasts, and more often than not the Bills are left out.  PO'd that I have all this equipment and CBS can't deliver my Bills in glorious HD :P

420729[/snapback]

Well not quite week to week. As of now, CBS will not be showing any of the Bills game in HD through the first 4 weeks. Most likely the Falcons will be HD, as that game is on Fox. CBS only has the first four weeks posted, so lets hold are breath the Bills get off to a good start and get some of THREE HD games a week. What a freaking joke CBS !!!!!

despite all of this, i'm still stoked about watching the DTV channel that will have up to 8 games on simultaneously.  it's a fantasy football player's dream.

421617[/snapback]

Along a similar line, I just noticed this weekend that DirecTV has three new "mix" channels. One shows 6 different news channels, one shows 6 different sports channels, and one shows 6 different cartoon/kids channels. You turn to those, see what's on, and then can flip to the "real" channel if you want to see it fullscreen. Kinda interesting, especially the sports one. I'm guessing it's similar to what they're doing with the NFL games this year.

CW

420995[/snapback]

Wow, didn't think of that. I wasn't interested in just passing on some info that I thought others would be interested in, I just thought TSW was the place to go for all of life's woes to get them resolved here.

420995[/snapback]

The posters who say national respect for the Bills is not an issue are 100% wrong. No respect = no HD broadcasts and scum-of-the-Earth booth announcers among other things.

The posters who say national respect for the Bills is not an issue are 100% wrong.  No respect = no HD broadcasts and scum-of-the-Earth booth announcers among other things.

421735[/snapback]

come on now...steve tasker is a future HOFer. he's hardly scum of the earth.

unfortunately, he stinks as a broadcaster. :D

your point is valid, however. while one could argue that CBS should be broadcasting ALL games in HD, until they do, they will put the expensive equipment at the venues involving teams with national appeal.

the good news is that once the bills' D starts shoving people around and JP is making highlight reels w/ his flutie-like play, we'll start getting some props nationally.

I'm ambivalent about HD, but why is it that a broadcaster or cable channel wouldn't broadcast in HD for live performances? Is it camera cost? Some sort of extra charge by the satellite owners?

421790[/snapback]

available bandwidth & transponder space. It'll all be HD next year I'd bet.

421834[/snapback]

I don't think that's the case -- I'm pretty sure it's equipment cost (it's much more expensive). I know bandwidth is the issue with delivering to the enduser (for both cable and satellite), but I don't think that has anything to do with filming.

Of course I could be wrong. :D

CW

421834[/snapback]

They're too fricking cheap to buy the extra cameras and other hardware. I think I'll bombard them 3 times a week over their penny pinching. 2nd class treatment for what they must think are 2nd class fans. Arrogant a-holes.

I spoke to someone at DTV that appeared to be knowledgeable a while back. He said that DTV can't hold any more HD channels until they make some changes. Right now on Sundays during the season the plan is to offer no HD payperviews during game time to allow for one more game channel. They are simply maxed out. So, I don't know that CBS can offer anymore, on the ticket at least, until this is a resolved.

Last year the Bills had like only four HD games. I think that has to be about the league bottom. When they went on the streak last year does anyone recall if the HD games count did go up? I don't remember them doing that.

I spoke to someone at DTV that appeared to be knowledgeable a while back.  He said that DTV can't hold any more HD channels until they make some changes.  Right now on Sundays during the season the plan is to offer no HD payperviews during game time to allow for one more game channel. They are simply maxed out. So, I don't know that CBS can offer anymore, on the ticket at least, until this is a resolved.

Last year the Bills had like only four HD games.  I think that has to be about the league bottom.  When they went on the streak last year does anyone recall if the HD games count did go up?  I don't remember them doing that.

421966[/snapback]

Those are separate issues. CBS isn't even RECORDING all their games in HD -- Fox, on the other hand, is.

You can record a game in HD and transmit in SD without a problem. DTV can (and does) also tweak the compression rates of other channels to be able to show more games; they could do them all in HD, if CBS were recording them all in HD.

What DTV can't do is broadcast any more locals in HD because that would be a full-time commitment. That's what the new satellite is for.

In this case, it's all CBS' fault.

CW

I foud this on another BBoard. cant vouch for accuracy.

It's a buildout issue. For CBS to increase the number of games they can do simultaneously, they have to increase the number of net-to-affiliate HD pathways. Equipping each affiliate with the necessary gear to sight different satellites for those pathways will take time and money. Fox's splicer system doesn't require the same kind of bandwidth CBS's system uses. At present, affiliates can receive CBS HD 1 and 2. Some can also grab UPN-1. That gives CBS three pathways to its affiliates. Doubling that for a one-day-a-week telecast is going to take time and money. They'll get there.