Easterbrook on Bledsoe at NFL.com

Greg Easterbrook on NFL.Com rating the Cowboys today (Tue, 8/23/05)

Dallas: The 'Boys place their fortunes in the hands of Drew Bledsoe. Last fall this space described Bledsoe's career as "over," and I am standing by that assessment. For the past two seasons only Bledsoe's name, certainly not his performance, has kept him on the field. His accuracy is a thing of the past. Watch old Buffalo tape and behold numerous instances of the ball striking the synthetic grass-like substance at receivers' feet or sailing over receivers' heads. For the past two seasons Bledsoe has looked exclusively at the receiver he intends to throw to, and safeties have figured this out, let me assure you. In 2004, the Bills played four of what TMQ calls "authentic" games -- high-pressure contests against quality opponents. Two tilts with New England, one game at Baltimore and the season-finale home date against Pittsburgh in which the Steelers rested starters and a victory would have put Buffalo into the playoffs. The Bills lost all four authentic contests, and Bledsoe was just utterly awful in every one. In those games, Bledsoe threw a mere one touchdown pass while committing 11 turnovers on interceptions and lost fumbles, with three of the turnovers returned for touchdowns. That is, when the pressure was on Bledsoe produced more touchdowns for his opponents than he did for his own offense. TMQ will be surprised if Bledsoe is the Dallas starter past United Nations Day, and the hook may come sooner -- though even if Bledsoe plays only a while, he stands a chance of moving ahead of Johnny Unitas and Joe Montana on the all-time passing yardage list.

Now consider the overall transaction ledger for the big 2004 trade between Dallas and Buffalo and the Bills' decision, based on obtaining quarterback J.P. Losman in that trade, to waive Bledsoe. In effect the bottom line is that Buffalo got Losman (using the draft pick obtained from Dallas) while the Cowboys got Marcus Spears, Julius Jones, backup tight end Sean Ryan and Bledsoe (using the choices obtained from the Bills, plus signing Bledsoe after he became expendable in Buffalo). If Losman is a bust, Dallas will be seen as the huge winner in this deal. If Losman becomes a star, Dallas will be the huge loser. Conventional wisdom assumes that had the 'Boys kept their 2004 first-round pick, they would have taken running back Steven Jackson. Why assume that? Given Dallas' desperate need for a young quarterback, Tuesday Morning Quarterback assumes that had the 'Boys kept their 2004 first pick, they would have selected Losman. Either way, Dallas remains desperate for a young quarterback. Last year the Cowboys' most apparent problem on the field was that their pass defense dropped from first in 2003 to 20th. But the team's core dilemma remains lack of quality at quarterback, where the deflating Bledsoe is backed up by Drew Henson (18 career pass attempts) and Tony Romo (no career pass attempts). Should Losman become a star, 'Boys faithful will be tormented by the fact that they might have snagged him.

Greg Easterbrook on NFL.Com rating the Cowboys today (Tue, 8/23/05)

Dallas: The 'Boys place their fortunes in the hands of Drew Bledsoe. Last fall this space described Bledsoe's career as "over," and I am standing by that assessment. For the past two seasons only Bledsoe's name, certainly not his performance, has kept him on the field. His accuracy is a thing of the past. Watch old Buffalo tape and behold numerous instances of the ball striking the synthetic grass-like substance at receivers' feet or sailing over receivers' heads. For the past two seasons Bledsoe has looked exclusively at the receiver he intends to throw to, and safeties have figured this out, let me assure you. In 2004, the Bills played four of what TMQ calls "authentic" games -- high-pressure contests against quality opponents. Two tilts with New England, one game at Baltimore and the season-finale home date against Pittsburgh in which the Steelers rested starters and a victory would have put Buffalo into the playoffs. The Bills lost all four authentic contests, and Bledsoe was just utterly awful in every one. In those games, Bledsoe threw a mere one touchdown pass while committing 11 turnovers on interceptions and lost fumbles, with three of the turnovers returned for touchdowns. That is, when the pressure was on Bledsoe produced more touchdowns for his opponents than he did for his own offense. TMQ will be surprised if Bledsoe is the Dallas starter past United Nations Day, and the hook may come sooner -- though even if Bledsoe plays only a while, he stands a chance of moving ahead of Johnny Unitas and Joe Montana on the all-time passing yardage list.

Now consider the overall transaction ledger for the big 2004 trade between Dallas and Buffalo and the Bills' decision, based on obtaining quarterback J.P. Losman in that trade, to waive Bledsoe. In effect the bottom line is that Buffalo got Losman (using the draft pick obtained from Dallas) while the Cowboys got Marcus Spears, Julius Jones, backup tight end Sean Ryan and Bledsoe (using the choices obtained from the Bills, plus signing Bledsoe after he became expendable in Buffalo). If Losman is a bust, Dallas will be seen as the huge winner in this deal. If Losman becomes a star, Dallas will be the huge loser. Conventional wisdom assumes that had the 'Boys kept their 2004 first-round pick, they would have taken running back Steven Jackson. Why assume that? Given Dallas' desperate need for a young quarterback, Tuesday Morning Quarterback assumes that had the 'Boys kept their 2004 first pick, they would have selected Losman. Either way, Dallas remains desperate for a young quarterback. Last year the Cowboys' most apparent problem on the field was that their pass defense dropped from first in 2003 to 20th. But the team's core dilemma remains lack of quality at quarterback, where the deflating Bledsoe is backed up by Drew Henson (18 career pass attempts) and Tony Romo (no career pass attempts). Should Losman become a star, 'Boys faithful will be tormented by the fact that they might have snagged him.

415556[/snapback]

easterbrook isn't wrong, but he's not right either. i mean, give me a break. the bills played only 4 contests against quality opponents? since when did the jets - a missed field goal from reaching the afc championship - become a worse team than the ravens? THEY HAD A BETTER RECORD THAN THE RAVENS AND BEAT A 12-4 PLAYOFF TEAM ON THE ROAD! AND THE SHOULD HAVE BEAT THE STEELERS! and was baltimore really better than seattle and jacksonville?didn't they all have the same record?

easterbrook isn't wrong, but he's not right either. i mean, give me a break. the bills played only 4 contests against quality opponents? since when did the jets - a missed field goal from reaching the afc championship - become a worse team than the ravens? THEY HAD A BETTER RECORD THAN THE RAVENS AND BEAT A 12-4 PLAYOFF TEAM ON THE ROAD! AND THE SHOULD HAVE BEAT THE STEELERS! and was baltimore really better than seattle and jacksonville?didn't they all have the same record?

415667[/snapback]

He just wanted to throw in that line about only one TD pass vs. 11 turnovers. You can make just about anybody look awful if you pick their four worst games and say that they are the only ones that mattered.

Everybody already knows (or should) that Bledsoe can't produce anymore. It's stupid for Easterbrook to be so sloppy with stats--that's something bad writers do. He's usually better than that.

Those 4 games were the high pressure games against top competition. They are games that make or break seasons. His point, and he is completely correct, is that Bledsoe stunk the place out. The guy is a loser when it matters most and that's why he's not here anymore, thank God.

He just wanted to throw in that line about only one TD pass vs. 11 turnovers.  You can make just about anybody look awful if you pick their four worst games and say that they are the only ones that mattered.

Everybody already knows (or should) that Bledsoe can't produce anymore.  It's stupid for Easterbrook to be so sloppy with stats--that's something bad writers do.  He's usually better than that.

415838[/snapback]

Those 4 games were the high pressure games against top competition.  They are games that make or break seasons.  His point, and he is completely correct, is that Bledsoe stunk the place out.  The guy is a loser when it matters most and that's why he's not here anymore, thank God.

415876[/snapback]

?? - please explain how the ravens game had more significance than the jets games.

I just recall at the time it was at a moment where with a victory we could turn the season around, and an opponent that was tough but very beatable. I agree though, that second Jets game was very important and Easterbrook could have well included it in his selection of key games.

Including the Jets game you can add one more touchdown pass. That would make it 11 to 2. Whoopdee do, though I think it was a sweet play to Evans, if I recall. But I also recall a bunch of bounce passes over the middle stalling drives.

?? - please explain how the ravens game had more significance than the jets games.

415907[/snapback]

It doesn't matter which games you pick....the bottom line is that Bledsoe didn't get the job done, even though he had plenty of weapons around him. I've said it several times on this forum in the past, and that is that a good QB makes those around him better. It shouldn't require all-pros at every position in order for your QB to succeed.

415667[/snapback]

Baltimore was a mediocre team with a good defense. We should've beat them easily but our vaunted D made him look like an All-Pro!

And yes you are correct in saying that the Jests were world's better than the Ravens were.

415907[/snapback]

They have an elite defense, like the Steelers and Pats. That's the only way I can see him making the point. The Jets D is good, but great it isn't.

On top of that, how can anyone argue that the man has choked, or played bad in 90% of his teams big games. This article pretty much sums up Drew's career. Here are his post-season stats, not exactly lighting it up:

year tm score att cmp yds td int att yds tds

1994 cle L,13-20 | 21 50 235 1 3 | 2 2 0

1996 pit W,28-3 | 14 24 164 1 2 | 1 -1 0

1996 jax W,20-6 | 20 33 178 0 1 | 1 4 0

1996 gnb L,21-35 | 25 48 253 2 4 | 1 1 0

1997 mia W,17-3 | 16 32 139 1 0 | 2 4 0

1997 pit L,6-7 | 23 44 264 0 2 | 2 -4 0

2001 pit W,24-17 | 10 21 102 1 0 | 4 1 0

It doesn't matter which games you pick....the bottom line is that Bledsoe didn't get the job done, even though he had plenty of weapons around him. I've said it several times on this forum in the past, and that is that a good QB makes those around him better. It shouldn't require all-pros at every position in order for your QB to succeed.

415930[/snapback]

Weapons? McGahee for 11 games. Josh Reed? Huh? A hobbled Moulds.

Lee Evans limited action.

3rd and 4th string tight ends for the last four games? An offense that had

the 2nd most penalties in the NFL? Give me an f'n break. Yes the D and ST

were very good. The offensive weapons? Available for only parts of the season.

Losman gets McGahee and Evans starting out and the 1st string TE back.

With this fabulous Special Teams and NFL near best defense Losman better win at least 10 games or he's a horrible flop. The anybody-but-Bledsoe crowd guaranteed it all off season...let's see what happens.

Weapons? McGahee for 11 games.  Josh Reed? Huh? A hobbled Moulds.

3rd and 4th string tight ends for the last four games?  An offense that had

the 2nd most penalties in the NFL?  Give me an f'n break.  Yes the D and ST

were very good.  The offensive weapons? Available for only parts of the season.

With this fabulous Special Teams and NFL near best defense Losman better win at least 10 games or he's a horrible flop. The anybody-but-Bledsoe crowd guaranteed it all off season...let's see what happens.

415950[/snapback]

Nice, hate on JP because people like him. I know you're a big Bledsoe guy, but your excuses are too much. JP is essentially a rookie, just because the anti-Drew crowd made these predictions, you are going to hold JP to them, or hate him forever?

Give me a break, bud.

Weapons? McGahee for 11 games.  Josh Reed? Huh? A hobbled Moulds.

3rd and 4th string tight ends for the last four games?  An offense that had

the 2nd most penalties in the NFL?  Give me an f'n break.  Yes the D and ST

were very good.  The offensive weapons? Available for only parts of the season.

415950[/snapback]

That's a silly argument, IMHO. Bledsoe had plenty of time to be the man....we focused on his slow ass almost the entire training camp last year with that stupid timer. The guy can't take a team on his back and win the game like a good QB does. Drew was a liability, plain and simple. Even last night against a crappy Seattle D, Drew stupid decisions and looked like he was going to trip over himself on some of those short passes. He still telegraphs his intentions and he still has the market cornered with regard to the fetal position.