Wedding Gift

I am attending a wedding tomorrow for my friend's son, and have decided to

give a cash gift. Just wondering, for two people attending the reception, what is a nice amount of money? The couple are in their early twenties, and both come from nice families. I expect it to be a very nice wedding reception.

Any advice is appreciated. I want to give a nice gift of cash, but do not want to overdo it.

I am attending a wedding tomorrow for my friend's son, and have decided to

give a cash gift. Just wondering, for two people attending the reception, what is a nice amount of money? The couple are in their early twenties, and both come from nice families. I expect it to be a very nice wedding reception.

Any advice is appreciated. I want to give a nice gift of cash, but do not want to overdo it.

412349[/snapback]

Good friend, buck and a half. Friend, c-note. That'll be a g-wiz, thanks. :devil:

412349[/snapback]

Unless it is a close friend - relationship kind of thing - a "cash" gift should approximate the cost of two fine dinners - if you were going out - my rule of thumb - $100

I agree - I think $100 from two people is a nice gift.

I'm actually getting married in a few months (I'm in my late 20's) and most gifts from family friends (but not close family) have been about $100 per couple.

I am a Canadian so just throwin in my 2 cents... standard here is $200 - $250CDN

412387[/snapback]

what does that convert to in US dollars? Is there a site on the internet that can help with this conversion?

:)

what does that convert to in US dollars?  Is there a site on the internet that can help with this conversion?

:)

412480[/snapback]

Actually, there are quite a few conversion sites.

Here is one:

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency?u

For others:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...ncy+conversions

$200 - $250 CDN roughly converts into $165 - $ 206 US. That is a lot of Bloody Cesars...

I am about to be married and have read in the ettiquete books that the gift should be equal to the price for your head at the wedding. If you are unsure, you can call the reception hall and ask how much an average plate at a wedding is. I used to work at a fancy place that used to do 7 weddings a day. We always had people asking how much it was per person. I live in NJ and the prices are so inflated around here. The average price per head is between $100-150. So for 2 people, you have to think $200 is fair. I have been told that other states are much cheaper.

I am about to be married and have read in the ettiquete books that the gift should be equal to the price for your head at the wedding. 

412560[/snapback]

So basically you're charging admission to a wedding. What if you bring your own food and booze and don't consume the overpriced cuisine that the caterer is serving? Can you get in for free?

So basically you're charging admission to a wedding.  What if you bring your own food and booze and don't consume the overpriced cuisine that the caterer is serving?  Can you get in for free?

412565[/snapback]

That's why weddings are ridiculous. And when you receive an invitation, you yell at the top of your lungs. I am getting married in the Bahamas. I told all my friends and relatives, "look, if you want to come, pay for your plane ticket and hotel. I will provide the reception. I dont need a gift. " I have friends who have done this. Usually 50 people or less come and they are the ones that want to be there. It costs less to do that for the couple and it also allows people to say "I'm not going easier". Some people don't like the idea, but it doesn't matter. Fact is: Weddings are expensive.

That's why weddings are ridiculous.  And when you receive an invitation, you yell at the top of your lungs.  I am getting married in the Bahamas.  I told all my friends and relatives, "look, if you want to come, pay for your plane ticket and hotel.  I will provide the reception.  I dont need a gift. "  I have friends who have done this.  Usually 50 people or less come and they are the ones that want to be there.  It costs less to do that for the couple and it also allows people to say "I'm not going easier".  Some people don't like the idea, but it doesn't matter.  Fact is:  Weddings are expensive.

412577[/snapback]

Divorce costs even more. :blink:

BTW, Good luck :)

So basically you're charging admission to a wedding.  What if you bring your own food and booze and don't consume the overpriced cuisine that the caterer is serving?  Can you get in for free?

412565[/snapback]

No. Then you have to stay at the bus station. :)

I was just married last summer and my reception was at the Buffalo Marriott. I was shocked at some of the cash we recived in the cards. We payed approx 55 a plate which included the booze and some couples gave only 50 dollars. That didnt even cover one of them.

I look at it this way. If you are taking your wife or girlfriend out for a nice evening of dinner, drinks and maybe dancing it will cost you atleast $150. I would never go less than $100 (and Ive been to some cheap weddings before).

Hope this helps.