Good News Part Two:

Dudes,

We have to stop this. They will hog all the world's supply of deuterated acetone. That stuff will like totally mess you up. In college I went to this deuterated acetone and 7-Up party and ended up with a basketball hoop around my head. We must not let these geeks hog the supply.

Dudes,

We have to stop this.  They will hog all the world's supply of deuterated acetone.  That stuff will like totally mess you up.  In college I went to this deuterated acetone and 7-Up party and ended up with a basketball hoop around my head.  We must not let these geeks hog the supply.

408235[/snapback]

Right now there is a school board meeting being planned somewhere in Kansas to prohibit the teaching of cold fusion. :D

Right now there is a school board meeting being planned somewhere in Kansas to prohibit the teaching of cold fusion. :D

409496[/snapback]

Is that school board in Southern California? Then that meeting must be after the ""Expand Your Ebonics Vocabulary" seminar....

Is that school board in Southern California? Then that meeting must be after the ""Expand Your Ebonics Vocabulary" seminar....

409570[/snapback]

A good comparison with the exceptions that the ebonics flap was in Oakland which is in northern California and took place in 1996, nine years ago, while the evolution flap is a statewide issue in Kansas that is taking place now.

If I am not mistaken it is written, in Leviticus I think, that:

"Cold Fusion is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord"

409749[/snapback]

Your translation is off. It is Dannon Frusion" that is the abomination. Stay away from that crap. It is the work of the devil. Especially the raspberry flavor.

OK, all joking aside...this wasn't exactly published in the National Enquirer.

Why the mockery?

410291[/snapback]

Here is what I know about cold fusion in real life:

Elizabeth Shue was in some movie with cold fusion as a backdrop.

I had the choice of making jokes or watching that movie again to re-educate myself.

I chose A.

Sorry to offend

Until I read it in a peer-reviewed journal, it's crap.  Cavitation in acetone causes deuterium to fuse...but no gamma radiation?  Sure, whatever...

410462[/snapback]

Look, I don't proclaim to be a nuclear physicist, I'm not. But this was published by Perdue U. It seems highly unlikely to me that they'd OK the publication of something related to a subject that's been so hotly contested before. And didn't it say in the article that these findings were published in a peer-reviewed publication somewhere?

Look, I don't proclaim to be a nuclear physicist, I'm not. But this was published by Perdue U. It seems highly unlikely to me that they'd OK the publication of something related to a subject that's been so hotly contested before. And didn't it say in the article that these findings were published in a peer-reviewed publication somewhere?

410711[/snapback]

To wit: "The new findings were detailed in a peer-reviewed paper appearing in the May issue of the journal Nuclear Engineering and Design."

Pretty cool when someone in any field actually does something potentially revolutionary rather than just talk and spew.