Was it Leonhard?

Mickey

I believe that he was the guy who blew the coverage on the long TD pass to that TE of the Colts. At the snap, he had moved over to the right as if to cover the WR on the the right who was already being handled by the CB on that side. Stamer moved to the line on the left side just outside our LDE and I think the other safety was blitzing. That left Leonhard man to man on the TE who came off the line on our left side. Leonhard jumped to his right going after that WR and you can see him on the tape stop after a few steps as he sees that TE going free up the middle out of the corner of his eye. You can almost hear him say "uh-oh". Stamer also backpedaled pretty fast after only going across the line a step or two after the snap. The way Stamer pulled out of that made me think he might have had the coverage of the TE and realized it too late but my money is still on Leonhard having blown the coverage.

Given the blitz they were in, it had to be man to man across the board and Leonhard was actually doubling a WR along with the CB on that side, at least initially. I can't believe we were sending that many blitzers and still trying to double a wideout at the same time, not enough bodies. He did some good things but for an unheralded rookie trying to squeeze on to the roster, that was a disaster. I can't imagine what it must be like to sit in the film room with half the team looking at such a costly goof.

Doesn't the SS generally cover the TE?   Leonhard was playing FS.

407683[/snapback]

Not when the SS is blitzing and I believe he was or if not, one of the CB's was so that the SS was on a WR. Leonhard was the closest guy to the TE and, again, I can't believe we were doubling a WR when we were blitzing like that, it had to be man to man and if that was the case, Leonhard wasn't supposed to be on that WR, there was already a CB on him. The result was one guy double covered and another guy uncovered.

Marv said on the replay that the coverage was man to man and somebody, he didn't know who, simply took the wrong man. I think it was Leonhard but possibly Stamer. Maybe Stamer wasn't supposed to blitz. The thing is though, if Leonhard wasn't covering the TE, who was he supposed to cover?

Was Wire blitzing on that play?  I didn't notice that...

407701[/snapback]

I think if you check the tape (I can't right now), during the chase down of the TE, the only safety you'll see involved was Leonhard. I didn't see the SS anywhere in the backfield which is why I think he was blitzing or maybe a CB was and the SS stepped up to cover his man. If it was the latter, the SS would have showed up in the long chase that followed so I think he was blitzing and as a result was never really in the play.

Check Marv Levy's comment on the play. He said we were in an all out blitz leaving man to man coverage and someone missed a man. I know for sure Leonhard was initially covering a WR along with a CB so if we were in man to man, he was on the wrong guy resulting in a WR double covered and the TE totally uncovered.

Further, the ashes in the ashtray are from a distinct Indian tobacco sold only by a certain tobacconist in Leicester Square run by a former Leftenant of Cavalry in the Queen's Light Horse whose customer base consists entirely of former officers whose tradition, as everyone who has ever served in the Light Horse knows, is to wear knee high leather boots whose unique sole can be seen in the footprint left at the scene by the murderer, of a size so enourmous, it could only have been left by the former Captain of the Light Horse, Nigel "Very Large Foot" Worthington. Elementary by dear man, elementary.

I think if you check the tape (I can't right now), during the chase down of the TE, the only safety you'll see involved was Leonhard.  I didn't see the SS anywhere in the backfield which is why I think he was blitzing

407708[/snapback]

Given Wire's play the rest of the night, that doesn't prove anything. :)

I'd still think it'd be a LBs responsibility to stay with the TE rather than the FS, however.

When I first saw the replay, I thought it might have been Stamer's error...He looked like he started to blitz and then he pulled an "uh-oh" also as the tight end cruised by. Either way, young players playing in a complex D will make mistakes. Travis Brown has played long enough to expose them.

I hope Leonhard makes the team; he was always making plays at UW and was fun to watch.

When I first saw the replay, I thought it might have been Stamer's error...He looked like he started to blitz and then he pulled an "uh-oh" also as the tight end cruised by.  Either way, young players playing in a complex D will make mistakes.  Travis Brown has played long enough to expose them. 

I hope Leonhard makes the team; he was always making plays at UW and was fun to watch.

407725[/snapback]

I like Leonhard too, he seems sort of "Tasker-like" to me.

Yeah, Stamer looked a little iffy there but I still think we were in man to man which means either Leonhard or the CB on our right side screwed up since we had more than one man on that WR. I can't beleive the CB on the right was assigned coverage of the TE on our left side, with Leonhard assigned to cover the WR on the right where that CB was already situated. If it was man-to-man, I gotta figure it was Leonhard's man.

Stamer might have started to blitz and then thought he read a screen or pass in the flat, or some other short pass in reaction to our blitz so rather than go after the QB, he drifted back into coverage. Hard to tell.

I think if you check the tape (I can't right now), during the chase down of the TE, the only safety you'll see involved was Leonhard.  I didn't see the SS anywhere in the backfield which is why I think he was blitzing or maybe a CB was and the SS stepped up to cover his man.  If it was the latter, the SS would have showed up in the long chase that followed so I think he was blitzing and as a result was never really in the play.

407708[/snapback]

If I am not mistaken, on this TD pass, Wire attempted to tackle the TE somewhere inside the 5 yard line(as always, he took a bad angle and WHIFFED). He did come back to jump on the pile, once the TE crossed the goal line. :)

So to answer your question, Wire was definitely back in pass coverage, but hard to tell if the TE was his responsibility on that play.

If I am not mistaken, on this TD pass, Wire attempted to tackle the TE somewhere inside the 5 yard line(as always, he took a bad angle and WHIFFED).  He did come back to jump on the pile, once the TE crossed the goal line. :)

So to answer your question, Wire was definitely back in pass coverage, but hard to tell if the TE was his responsibility on that play.

407815[/snapback]

Back to the tapes!

Wire was not blitzing and was the safety on that side of the field when the receiver came right up his seam. The LB probably had underneath responsibility and Wire's responsibility was the over. My guess is that neitehr guy did their job.

Cya

If I am not mistaken, on this TD pass, Wire attempted to tackle the TE somewhere inside the 5 yard line(as always, he took a bad angle and WHIFFED).  He did come back to jump on the pile, once the TE crossed the goal line. :)

407815[/snapback]

That's the same way that I saw it. Wire was not on a blitz, he was downfield enough to miss the tackle.